German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And I understand now the anger and frustration people have with idiot dog owners.

It was a good day -- after the hail in the morning anyway. I stopped at Mom's and didn't need to be at my sister's until one because we were going out to eat for Mother's Day. We didn't get back until after 4, so I told the girls to go potty and get their AR books, and we would take Babsy and read them in the park.

We walked to the park and Babs lay on the table while the girls read their books to her. That went really awesome. Then I let them play on the climby thing for about an hour, while people of all shapes and sizes walked around, and kids ran and screamed and hung and swung, and many petted Babs.

Finally we walked home. Halfway there, we were walking, Babs at a heel at my side, and there was a yard with 5 kids in the yard and a dog. The kids were paying no attention to the dog. The dog was paying close attention to us. That would have been fine, but the dog stuck his hair up and charged right into us. I moved Babs behind me, and yelled GET YOUR BLEEP BLEEP DOG! No one moved so I said, "I WILL boot it!" Finally two of the girls grabbed the dog.

They said it wasn't their dog. I said, I'm sorry, but I do not want the dogs to get into a fight because then it will get hurt. I walked on, furious, as this was one of the dogs that was loose a few weeks ago when I had Heidi with me.

We go a couple of blocks and a man in a car stops at the corner and asks me if I hit his dog.

Now I was REALLY furious. I told him that I did not touch his dog but I should have. I would have. He told me he had an electric fence and the dog wouldn't have hurt anyone. I told him to fix his fence, and his dog had gone onto the sidewalk after us with his hair all up. The guy said this was the second time with me.

Well, yes it was, which made me even madder. He knows I did not hit his dog the first time, he was there. I yelled and he came across the street to collect his dog while it was circling Heidi. He was mad at me, and I was furious at him.

I was shouting that I would call Animal Control, that he needs to control his dog. He said I should walk on the other side of the street. Huh!?! He said he is going to get his video cameras out.

You go!

Last week a little Dachsund came charging out after Babs. I called over "GET CHER DOG!" And the guy came and snatched it up and apologized. And we went on. Babsy is unlikely to start a fight with a friendly dog. But she certainly can defend herself if a dog attacks her, if I do not step in and protect her. And I really don't want the girls subjected to that.

Everything was going so good, and I let that yayhoo steal my peace today.

·
Registered
207 Posts
He'll pay for video cameras but not for a proper fence?

People are so ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
I'm sorry you had to have your day ruined by some dumb butt. Stupid people stink.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I agree with matching video with video. THATS exactly why I bought an extendable baton is loose dogs that I don't know. I want that extra reach while I'm protecting my dog and myself from a potentially aggressive dog. I haven't had any issues in about a year and usually the loose dogs running up to me are friendly and play bouncing tails going a million miles an hour but there is ALWAYS the possibility for that one and I'm not taking the chance.

I hope this jerk gets what he's owed. Besides, sidewalk is public property and you weren't doing anything to antagonize his furball so walking on the other side of the street is really not his place to demand.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
That sucks, the guy was a obvious jerk :mad:

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Not good. I just don't like those invisibile fences. Too many times dogs run through them or the battery on the collars are dead and people don't check them.....

·
Banned
377 Posts
Same thing happened to me. Young pit bull attacking my dog. I pushed it away (not kicking) with my feet just to keep it away. The owner went ballistic. "Don't you kick my dog, I will kick your a**!!" and continued threats. I just stood there and said go ahead. He kept walking away hollering threats and calling his dog. This was on a woods trail so there was no expectation of leashes.
Incidents like that can really raise your adrenaline and ruin your day.
Do you have a camera in your phone?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I say "Aaaargh!!!" on your behalf. I'm sorry the man stole your peace.

Hopefully you found it again this morning and will have a Happy Monday :groovy:

·
Registered
31,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am better today. Unfortunately, I had left my phone in the car. We went for dinner for mother's day and I did not want to get a call in the restaurant so I deliberately left it in the car. After the 3+ hours in Olive Garden, I forgot about it until we were too far along on a walk to double back.

Otherwise I would have called the police when that guy stopped me. I would have just pulled out my phone and dialed 411 of directory assistance and asked for the number of the police department there.

Today has been better. Got up late, agreed to babysit on Thursday, went to Tractor Supply for dog food and tie-wraps, made grooming appointments for Hannah and Hermione, fixed my gate, renegotiated my garbage bill, cleaned kennels and fed/watered everyone, fixed my gate again, took the girls to be groomed, stopped at Sears to buy clothes, picked up the girls, and drove back. All in all a good day.

·
Registered
190 Posts
selzer, i gotta to tell ya. Now I know I might hurt your feelings but please know I'm seeing this from a third party's point of view. Dogs do get loose. Yes if they damage property and bite people, the owner's responsible. But again, things happen, ya know? From the looks of what happened to you, there's not much there to be upset about. To me, it's best to reflect the best in being a GSD owner, lest people see things otherwise and make their judgments. Wanna set a good example for your kids too.

·
Registered
457 Posts
selzer, i gotta to tell ya. Now I know I might hurt your feelings but please know I'm seeing this from a third party's point of view. Dogs do get loose. Yes if they damage property and bite people, the owner's responsible. But again, things happen, ya know? From the looks of what happened to you, there's not much there to be upset about. To me, it's best to reflect the best in being a GSD owner, lest people see things otherwise and make their judgments. Wanna set a good example for your kids too.
Dogs should not be lose and this is twice with this dog and I bet she is not the only one. The owner should be saying how sorry he is instead of being a jerk. And with kids, she must keep them safe. Too many people, now days think it is okay for their dogs to be loose and it makes it hard for others to enjoy a walk.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Dogs should not be lose and this is twice with this dog and I bet she is not the only one. The owner should be saying how sorry he is instead of being a jerk. And with kids, she must keep them safe. Too many people, now days think it is okay for their dogs to be loose and it makes it hard for others to enjoy a walk.
I totally understand how selzer feels. believe me I've been there. So ya, some owners aren't very considerate. Calling some idiot an idiot is sorta redundant no? GSDs are smart and might pick up on this bad habit! ;)

·
Registered
766 Posts
That sucks and sorry hes a POS

If it were me i would make it very clear if my dog or myself is ever attacked then he will have one less dog...

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Where I'm from I always have loose dogs meeting me and my dogs. You just have to control your dog and ignore the loose dog. The dog will not infringe on your space if you have a tight pack. Getting angry and frustrated always makes a situation with dogs worse.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
This kind of stuff is so frustrating. I do agree with you MadLab but I won't put up with the same dog habitually loose. I have gone over to people's houses to let them know the dog has been loose on numerous occasions. Usually the owners are not out with the dogs and have no clue the dog is out or they do know and do not care. I care, I do not like being run on by lose dogs, most of them are obnoxious.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts