German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we first got Durzo, whenever he was done going potty or wanted to come inside (from a very short walk), he would grab is leash and start walking my husband or I back to our apartment (pictured).
We've worked with him on it, and he no longer grabs his leash. However, when he is ready to go inside he starts pulling and running back to the door. Basically, he decides when he is done.
Is this normal puppy behavior or should we start working to curb this now?
He is only 9 weeks old.
Thank you :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
710 Posts
Do you want your dog to tell you what to do for the rest of your life? Your choice. :D

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I think it's one of the cutest things ever! But yeah... that one is all up to you!

Our golden carries her own leash and we know when she's done with a walk because she'll drop it (it's a retractable leash, she carries the hard handle part in her mouth), sit down and look up at us. She'll still carry it home, but thats how she tells us she's had enough.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I'm bumping this thread because I want you to get more opinions.

At 9 weeks old I don't think the puppy is "trying to tell you what to do" :) I think its too young to push for long walks.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I don't think your pup recognizes that it's using the leash to 'pull' you back to the house. I think it knows that it's finished it's business and it's ready to go back. It's happened a few times (because it is stinkin' cute!!!!) and it's becoming part of the learned behavior.

If it were me.....I'd use this natural trait to teach it some really cool stuff. Teach it to 'hold it' as well as to 'let go'. Hold my phone, hold this package, hold the remote, hold etc..... (of course as your pup matures!!!) It could really be a neat behavior!!!!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Um, I'm not a trainer nor consider myself an expert by any means, but what is the harm in this at this point? I mean if your in the middle of obedience classes and your working on loose leash walking, then yeh, it would be unacceptable at that point.

Is it normal? Sure. My dog still does this once in awhile. I've had times when my pup just didn't want to walk either. I think we have to remember that they are just pups. They are going to do some crazy stuff.

This is just my opinion as a dog owner.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
If it were me.....I'd use this natural trait to teach it some really cool stuff. Teach it to 'hold it' as well as to 'let go'. Hold my phone, hold this package, hold the remote, hold etc..... (of course as your pup matures!!!) It could really be a neat behavior!!!!
Love that idea!!!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thank you so much for all the replies.
My concern was if he got in the habbit of doing this young, it might turn into a bigger problem as he gets older. :)
I do think its cute-thats why I had to get a picture of it :D
I love the idea of using this as a way to train him other cues though. Thank you very much!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
24 Posts
My 11.5 month old does the opposite.... She gets excited to get her collar on for a walk or ride... then she grabs leash off the table and hands it to us. She can not wait any longer and wants to be involved.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
It's normal for a puppy that age to want to hurry back to the relative safety and familiarity of the house. Your puppy seems to be doing well in being okay in going out and going on short walks already - I'm sure with time he will be more and more comfortable with longer walks and more time outside.

The leash thing is too stinking cute! At 9 weeks old, he is not trying to take over or tell you what to do, put that thought out our your head! He is probably a puppy that likes to carry things in his mouth, likes to play tug - like Lillie mentioned, use it to your advantage! Those are GOOD traits in a puppy. Walks can be boring for pups - I actually encourage playing with the leash and having tugging sessions during walks with your pups to make the walk more fun, and to use the time during a walk as engagement training - teaches the pup to focus on me because I'm the funnest most interesting thing in the world! (Okay, Keeta doesn't really think so, but she is a grouch, anyways :) ).

I usually get cheap nylon leashes for pups, so I don't have to worry about teeth marks. When they are older, tough leather leashes. I also work on 'drop it' (have your pup drop things on command for a treat), and 'walk nice' when leash training so they know there is a time for playing, and a time for good leash manners.

People often ask what they 'should' do in different situations with their pups. My advice is do what works for you. Pups this age are not being alpha or trying to take over. So just enjoy her personality and let her have some fun. :)

·
Registered
874 Posts
roxy will pull back to the house ( 4 months old) so I say "all done" ..I want her to associate that she is indeed "all done"

usually now when I ask her if she's all done she'll look at me and then head for the house

1 - 12 of 12 Posts