German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My vet just weighed my 8 week old male GSD puppy at 10.1 pounds.
I'm concerned I may have a dwarf because growth charts show that the average is twice that at 19.9 pounds.
I payed a pretty penny to have him specifically be an intimidating guard dog weighing at least 80 pounds like his father.
The breeder said from her 15 years of experience that 10 pounds is the perfect weight at 8 weeks, and that he was the heaviest in the litter.
The vet assistant said he must just be the runt of the litter.
I'm going to ask my vet tomorrow for a more definitive answer.
The last post I saw regarding small 8 week olds was back in 2013.
This may help others in a similar situation for the next couple of years.
I'm asking this forum's knowledge and experience because I can't find a normal Range in a google search, just the average.

Someone will like a small GSD, I just don't want to spend any more if he is not in the normal size range.
If I ask for an exchange, my breeder may give me another 10 pounder.
I also read that dwarfs only live 3-4 years.
I would really like to keep him because he passed everything on the Volhard test.
I love the way he follows me around and licked my cheek to forgive me after putting him on his back for 30 seconds and didn't try to bite me.
He shows strong instinctive prey drive by tugging on a face towel I tied to a string.
So I hope he is just small now, but will grow up to be normal size.

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
It is very unlikely your puppy is a dwarf. Dwarf puppies have a rather distinctive look and the pup would be much smaller. Puppies grow at different rates and puppy size is not always a good prediction of adult size. If you don't trust your breeder than give the puppy back and find a new breeder.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is very unlikely your puppy is a dwarf. Dwarf puppies have a rather distinctive look and the pup would be much smaller. Puppies grow at different rates and puppy size is not always a good prediction of adult size. If you don't trust your breeder than give the puppy back and find a new breeder.
Thank you for your info lhczth! I thought half size is considered dwarf. My breeder has many good reviews, but half size concerned me so I need other sources like this forum.

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
Thank you MineAreWorkingline! That's exactly what I needed to know. 8 pounds is within the normal weight range.
It has just been my personal observation, but of those who owned the 8 week, 20# puppies, they seemed to grow fast and were pretty much done at about 7 months where my smaller pups caught up around 3-4 months but kept growing for a bit longer time.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I wouldn't be worried about his weight. I brought home a 12 week puppy that was only 13lbs. He ended up being over 75lbs at 8 months.

Have you checked to make sure he is parasite free? He is very cute.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
My dog was small as an 8 week old (9 lb). She'd been eating well and thriving at our breeder's house, she had a good appetite at our house and came back negative for parasites after her 8 week checkup - she was just small. That did not last. As an adult, she's 25" tall and 73 lb at last weight check. So...not small.

In other words, assuming no parasites, he is probably fine. He'll be visibly growing before you know it.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Ren. This Friday Luna is going to get checked for her first vet visit, I let you know her weight. Btw the pic of mag laying down looks like he has a pot belly check him for worms just something I noticed.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Second what Hoytn said, that pups belly looks a little bloated, has he been checked for parasites? Is he eating good quality food ?Could be stunting his growth. My pup was small and had parasites until 8 months old... finally got him fixed up and feeling good and he sprouted like a bean, way over sized.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Just like everyone said, don't worry about it. In some cases, a number of factors can determine the size of a pup....litter size, size of mother or father, etc... Generally speaking, a larger litter means pups may be smaller. A small litter...pups may be bigger. My previous pup was 1 of 11 pups. My current pup is 1 of 5. The current one is much bigger than the previous pup was. The current one was 15 lbs at 8 weeks. And the previous one was 12 lbs. Both were the largest of their litter. Don't worry about the size. He will get big soon enough. Enjoy these days because in a few days, the biting will start and you won't be thinking about the size anymore.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wouldn't be worried about his weight. I brought home a 12 week puppy that was only 13lbs. He ended up being over 75lbs at 8 months.

Have you checked to make sure he is parasite free? He is very cute.
Thank you for info of a light weight puppy ending up normal weight Pytheis.
Several of the members here were very observant about the bloating caused by parasites. Magnum came back positive for Giardia. So we're treating him with panacur for next 5 days.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My dog was small as an 8 week old (9 lb). She'd been eating well and thriving at our breeder's house, she had a good appetite at our house and came back negative for parasites after her 8 week checkup - she was just small. That did not last. As an adult, she's 25" tall and 73 lb at last weight check. So...not small.

In other words, assuming no parasites, he is probably fine. He'll be visibly growing before you know it.
Thanks for your lightweight to right weight story WaterTart. 9 pounds is in the normal range.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Second what Hoytn said, that pups belly looks a little bloated, has he been checked for parasites? Is he eating good quality food ?Could be stunting his growth. My pup was small and had parasites until 8 months old... finally got him fixed up and feeling good and he sprouted like a bean, way over sized.
Gandalf and Hoytn, both of you are very observant. Thank you! Good thing I pictured that posture. Unexpected because the breeder was giving Magnum Panacur at 6 weeks and her property was impressively clean. Now my vet instructed to continue treatment then retest after a week.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just like everyone said, don't worry about it. In some cases, a number of factors can determine the size of a pup....litter size, size of mother or father, etc... Generally speaking, a larger litter means pups may be smaller. A small litter...pups may be bigger. My previous pup was 1 of 11 pups. My current pup is 1 of 5. The current one is much bigger than the previous pup was. The current one was 15 lbs at 8 weeks. And the previous one was 12 lbs. Both were the largest of their litter. Don't worry about the size. He will get big soon enough. Enjoy these days because in a few days, the biting will start and you won't be thinking about the size anymore.
I was concerned because 20 lbs to 90 lbs means 10 pounds to 45 pounds. I would have spent serious coin for an intimidating 45 pound protection dog. Everyone here has relieved my concern. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Gandalf and Hoytn, both of you are very observant. Thank you! Good thing I pictured that posture. Unexpected because the breeder was giving Magnum Panacur at 6 weeks and her property was impressively clean. Now my vet instructed to continue treatment then retest after a week.
Sorry to hear your pup has Giardia, that's what mine had too. It's notoriously difficult to get rid of if you don't have experience dealing with it before... make sure your vet does an ELSIA blood test later down the line to confirm it's actually gone and get the pup on a good probiotic. There's some really good threads on here about getting rid of it. Hope your little guy feels better soon...

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I mentioned the parasites because that swollen belly looked like my pup's when I brought him home. He also had giardia. After treatment for a few weeks, he still tested positive, but after much discussion with my vet, we did't do anymore treatment and I simply gave him some good probiotics. He eventually got rid of it on his own. At least that is what I was told. Good luck!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Hey ren that is what good people do they help others. Btw Luna did her vet check she weighs 16.30lb, healthy as a ox.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts