German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there! I’m new to the forum. My Shepherd is... a little bigger than my last one. We just got her and absolutely adore her. But I’m worried she’s growing too fast. She’s 20 inches at 15 weeks. Normal weight at 35 pounds. Is this normal? How tall will she get?

·
Registered
542 Posts
I think it's hard to tell how big a pup may get. If you got her from a breeder, they may be able to give you some guess. Mine was spot on with my female GSD so I'm taking her word on the puppy I have.
I've seen puppies grow really quick for the first 6 months, then top out and stay around that size. I don't think 20" and 35lbs is too bad. So long as she has a waist and her hip/rib bones aren't sticking out, I wouldn't worry about weight.

FWIW, my female at 4 months was 28lbs. My male shepherd puppy was 48lbs. Both are/were slim.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
My puppy was 35 lbs at 15 wks, I have no idea about her height though. She is 23+ months old now, 28" tall at the withers and weighs 80 lbs.

But they all grow at their own pace, so only time will tell...

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm a rookie - but I can give you our weight regardless. At 16 weeks, he's only 31 lbs. Have not measured height. Mom just turned 3, smaller in stature weighing a healthy 75lbs. Dad, much larger stature, weighs 110. It "feels" like hes trending to be on the smaller side for us. So far he's marked like mom, and seems to have the same herding nature as mom.

Dad is extremely laid back and calm. Very friendly to introduced strangers, and seemed to enjoy a good petting - but could not have cared less if we were there or not. Mom came to visit, rubbed up on ya, and really enjoyed a good rub down. Behavior wise, Nash seems to mimic mom (which could be learned as Dad was aloof towards the pups). But, I suspect he is going to favor her both in coat (dad's basically a black), size and demeanor.

Of course I say this, and now that there's no food comp and hes gets better quality food - he may explode into his dad lol.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah okay! That is great to hear. Hopefully she’s just topping out early. She’s not crazy thin but definitely a little too much on the trim side. She’s a picky eater. I guess I’ve just mostly had shorter shepherds and now she’s just a mammoth.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts