German Shepherds Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
I guess the photo censor interpreted it as two people possibly taking part in adult activities... :ROFLMAO:

Nerves are highly inheritable - skittish mom equals high risk of skittish pups! And given that the pups like to bite, that would mean possibly a fear biter which is the LAST thing anyone wants!

Even before I got my first GSD, when I saw the mom of some pups slinking behind her owner, and barking at me, I very quickly decided to get the heck out of there! NOT the litter for me!

·
Registered
7,689 Posts
I would skip it and forfeit the deposit or try to get part of it back because the dogs are not suited for a new owner. Experienced GSD owners find the puppies they want because they know how to look and are familiar with breeders and even specific litters and breedings. It’s very difficult for a new, inexperienced owner to choose a first dog because they don’t know what to ask or what to look for. While this is a U.S. site we have enough members where you are and some in the U.S. and Canada experienced with kennels and pedigrees worldwide that we could help her decide on a better choice if she asks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks all. I was torn because A) their deposit will be lost however I think it’s the right thing to pull out of the sale, and B) the breeder was assuring us this is a good sign/ very normal for GSD pups. One pup was actually hanging off my legs painfully and ragging me, it was very difficult to redirect, they all seemed really precocious in terms of willingness to bite/fight each other.

Someone asked about parents, not dad but met mum, nervous dog however again breeder said this is normal because she’s not used to people visiting pups… nervous body language, slinking around us but not close enough to touch her, when I sat down she charged up to me and poked my face with her nose before running off… another red flag IMO

mum does protection work apparently
Wow. I have a littter now in Canada and lots of visitors coming over to help socialize the pups. Their mom has zero issues with people being around her 3 weeks old babies. Very confident, open, social female.

I would not buy a puppy from the mother you described.

·
Registered
32,874 Posts
I would not buy a puppy from the mother you described.
OP - this is really the bottom line. Genetics are Genetics. The behavior of the litter itself isn't a major concern because what you think is rough, I might think is normal. But the dam is an issue.

We bought a puppy once with a mother that you couldn't get near. We spent 12 years with a neurotic, fearful, mess. Any noise startling her would send her into attack mode at the nearest dog. If you walked by her to quickly, she would be so out of her mind trying to get out of hte way she would run right into walls.

·
Super Moderator
6,357 Posts
That would be very concerning. Dams are way too important, and that kind of behavior would have me walking away.

I remember when I went out to see the litter that Carly was in. The dam followed us around the whole time, with a ball in her mouth. I’m sure she was hoping that someone would play ball with her. There were 10 puppies in that litter, and she was done with the whole thing, lol. Carly grew up to be exactly like her.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts