German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went with a friend to meet a litter of 6 week old GSD pups. She wanted my opinion on them and honestly I’m not sure.

Pups seemed healthy, robust, confident etc however I was concerned about the way the litter interacted:

The puppies were fighting a LOT, not like any puppy tussles I’ve ever seen.. screaming, grabbing and holding on to each other, they needed to be physically broken up several times, the breeder says this is completely normal for GSD pups and that they will be going to their new homes early (7wks) before they start hurting each other.

IDK what to advise my friend. I’m not familiar with the breed but IDK if the breeder is right about this being normal behaviour. The separating the litter early thing makes me nervous. Can anyone weigh in?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I hope the new owners are ready. I've seen videos of puppies going after each other and it can sound and look intense, but it's usually quick and then they wander off. Having to send puppies home early before they start hurting each other doesn't sound good. What are the parents like?

Do you have video of the litter?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all. I was torn because A) their deposit will be lost however I think it’s the right thing to pull out of the sale, and B) the breeder was assuring us this is a good sign/ very normal for GSD pups. One pup was actually hanging off my legs painfully and ragging me, it was very difficult to redirect, they all seemed really precocious in terms of willingness to bite/fight each other.

Someone asked about parents, not dad but met mum, nervous dog however again breeder said this is normal because she’s not used to people visiting pups… nervous body language, slinking around us but not close enough to touch her, when I sat down she charged up to me and poked my face with her nose before running off… another red flag IMO

mum does protection work apparently

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am also looking for a good breeder, can you share the name of this particular one so that I can avoid?

From what you have described, I would pass on this breeder too. And if your gut tells you something is off, you should walk away.

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
Someone asked about parents, not dad but met mum, nervous dog however again breeder said this is normal because she’s not used to people visiting pups… nervous body language, slinking around us but not close enough to touch her, when I sat down she charged up to me and poked my face with her nose before running off… another red flag IMO

mum does protection work apparently
No way no how. Protection dogs need to be supremely confidant and stable. Even accounting for nerves slinking around and darting away is not something a confidant dog would do.

·
Registered
32,874 Posts
No genuine breeder would let a pup go at 7 weeks to the general public.
This isn't true as a blanket statement. I've seen very good breeders send puppies home at 7 weeks for various reasons.

However - sending them home at 7 weeks so they don't tear each other up is a very weird statement.

One pup was actually hanging off my legs painfully and ragging me, it was very difficult to redirect, they all seemed really precocious in terms of willingness to bite/fight each other.
This is not abnormal. My female was like this. She got a big correction after she bit me one to many times. She's still like this with my male. It's like she has no idea how to play appropropiately. She's very lucky she lives with my super tolerant male. She is not dog aggressive in any way and avoids conflict with other dogs. She just has no idea how to play. LIke the awkward child on the playground that makes poor social decisions.

Someone asked about parents, not dad but met mum, nervous dog however again breeder said this is normal because she’s not used to people visiting pups… nervous body language, slinking around us but not close enough to touch her, when I sat down she charged up to me and poked my face with her nose before running off
But this ^^^^^ Is a sure sign to run for the hills. Nervy Mom will equal nervy puppies. The mom has a huge influence on them not just genetically but also in imprinting. Even the biting you see goes back to the mom not correcting and teaching bite inhibition to some extent. Just because a dog does protection work doesn't mean they should be bred. If you have the pedigree for this litter, I would like to see it privately.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
I would like to see the pedigree too. 7 wks going home is not a red flag. I think, if the pups are not learning bite inhibition it’s better to send them home so the owner will teach it.

Hanging from the pants is not abnormal. I would come back and interact with puppies at 7 weeks.

·
Registered
507 Posts
This isn't true as a blanket statement. I've seen very good breeders send puppies home at 7 weeks for various reasons.

However - sending them home at 7 weeks so they don't tear each other up is a very weird statement.
True, that is why I mentioned the general public. It is frowned upon here for a pup to leave its mother and litter mates before the age of 8 weeks but I do understand that there are exceptions to the rule, the Guide Dogs for the Blind used to prefer the pups at 6 weeks of age.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I don’t go looking at litters too often. I have seen some pretty intense play in some that I have. I’ve seen the occasional tussle but that usually works itself out. I can’t say how bad it is without seeing it. Your description reminds of what my friend called the worst litter ever. She said as puppies these dogs were full on attacking people who came into the area. She said they were aggressive as adult dogs and she hated when they came back for training. So if this litter is like that I would advise you to stay away. It could be normal though. Cion was pretty ferocious when he came home. Not aggression, but he plays pretty rough. Even now Bear and Cion playing can look pretty brutal at times.

·
Registered
32,874 Posts
German Shepherds play loudly. It sounds like warfare. GSD puppies bite hard. It's why they are called landsharks.

Faren and her brother -
Dog Leg Dog breed Carnivore Collar

Faren as an alarm clock -

(I'm dying that this is marked sensitive content.
For those hesitant to click - its my husband lying on the couch (fully clothed) with Faren lying on top of him.)
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
Dog Couch Furniture Vertebrate Comfort

·
Registered
174 Posts
Doesn't sound good by the description of the skittish dam(I would already be out based on that alone) but hard to know what to make of the puppies fighting without at least some video or something. One person's little terror is the next person's perfect play pal.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
I haven't seen litters that had to be separated at 7 weeks in order not to hurt each other. Even bullies in the litter generally lose interest when the other squeals or doesn't fight back. Mom often steps in.

*I usually want the bully/biter :) and gravitate towards the most confident/aggressive ones lol

1 - 20 of 26 Posts