German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which is a better for your dog/pup? I currently use a normal collar to walk my 14 puppy and she always seems to get choked by it even if I loosen it. She likes to explore amd walk ahead of me sometimes. And I'm debating on switching to a harness to not choke her anymore. Is the normal collar something she can get use to or should I switch now?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Which is a better for your dog/pup? I currently use a normal collar to walk my 14 puppy and she always seems to get choked by it even if I loosen it. She likes to explore amd walk ahead of me sometimes. And I'm debating on switching to a harness to not choke her anymore. Is the normal collar something she can get use to or should I switch now?
personally I'd make the switch makes for lot better walks and they tend to like it more then a collar once they get use to it .. no choking so on the only time I use a collar that's leashed is in training for leash pressure with a training collar like a prong. What will end up happening if you keep using it is your dog will build up a tolerance thus making collar training harder if u ever decide to do it down the road.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I use a harness on my dog for park/country walks and a halti for city walks, he's totally fine in both, I only use his flat collar to carry identification.

·
5,627 Posts
I like to use a front clip harness for a little extra control when teaching a dog to walk nicely and not pull.

Is the normal collar something she can get use to or should I switch now?
She isn't going to get used to it. You need to teach her the proper way to walk (no pulling) so that she can walk on the flat collar and not hurt herself or you. Best to do it now while she is young and doesn't have a history of being allowed to pull.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I use a harness. My trainer doesnt want to start on heeling work until about 6 months of age, and unless you actively train for proper leash manners every single time a leash is connected to the collar you're just enforcing bad behavior. My trainer only wants me to use the collar when actively training

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
387 Posts
I use a harness. My trainer doesnt want to start on heeling work until about 6 months of age, and unless you actively train for proper leash manners every single time a leash is connected to the collar you're just enforcing bad behavior. My trainer only wants me to use the collar when actively training

My trainer said the same thing. I got the EZ Walk harness to help with pulling until she gets fully trained on loose leash walking.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I tried using a harness with our dog and hated it, I had no control. I prefer collars.
I suppose it's personal preference.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've done several things... to start we used a harness, because it was more difficult for my pup to grab the leash and start messing with it when she was younger. Worked great for awhile, and then I realized I had a lot less control of her on the harness, so we switched to regular collar. We did this quite awhile - after sometime I tried the harness again, and she was HORRIBLE walking on it- much much better with the collar as you have more control. BUT, she can pull terribly when there are other dogs around, distractions... So, we now use a gentle leader head collar when I know we will be around others as it offers me the most control and doesnt hurt her neck.

Personal preference I think - do what works for you and your pup!

·
Super Moderator
32,373 Posts
I like to use a front clip harness for a little extra control when teaching a dog to walk nicely and not pull.

She isn't going to get used to it. You need to teach her the proper way to walk (no pulling) so that she can walk on the flat collar and not hurt herself or you. Best to do it now while she is young and doesn't have a history of being allowed to pull.
I agree. A regular harness with the leash connection on the back of the dog can actually encourage pulling (think sled dog), but the front hook harnesses are great - I have Sense-ation harnesses that I've used with all my dogs when they were puppies, but some people prefer the Easy Walk.

Now is the perfect time to start training polite leash skills, while she's not that big and strong yet, and hopefully the pulling is not too ingrained.

I use a harness. My trainer doesnt want to start on heeling work until about 6 months of age, and unless you actively train for proper leash manners every single time a leash is connected to the collar you're just enforcing bad behavior. My trainer only wants me to use the collar when actively training.
I agree with your trainer that you should actively train leash skills every time a leash is attached to the collar, but I wouldn't wait until 6 months old to start.

I rarely use a formal heel so I spend a lot more time training loose leash walking than I do the heel, and a 14 week old puppy can certainly start to lean LLW. It helps if you abandon the idea of "going for a walk" in favor of training leash skills because it's a process that can take some time. If you allow her to pull on walks, you're setting back your training, but if you're working on training every time you take her out on leash you're probably not going to get very far at first, so you kinda have to just decide you're okay with that in favor of your long term goal. :)

OP, there are lots of threads about training to walk nicely on leash, take a scan through the puppy training forum and you should find a few.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I agree with your trainer that you should actively train leash skills every time a leash is attached to the collar, but I wouldn't wait until 6 months old to star
we're working on protection sports and therefor competition heeling so yes our case is unique - I was more trying to point out the fact that a dog should be worked with every single time or the collar shouldn't be used

·
Registered
187 Posts
Well, my personal opinion is that the dogs are able to distinguish between "obedience heeling" and walking on a loose leash. All of my dogs wear collars, for walks and for "work". Never had a problem.

But of course it takes some time to teach them to walk on a loose leash. I never used a collar to teach the heeling stuff for obedience in the beginning, but I guess everyone does it differently! :)

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Well, my personal opinion is that the dogs are able to distinguish between "obedience heeling" and walking on a loose leash. All of my dogs wear collars, for walks and for "work". Never had a problem.

:)
Absolutely. Kaiser knows the difference. "Lets go" means loose leash walk. "Foos" is a position and a command and means we are working.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts

But of course it takes some time to teach them to walk on a loose leash. I never used a collar to teach the heeling stuff for obedience in the beginning, but I guess everyone does it differently! :)
Well I completely agree with that. Just stating we havent started on collar work yet. Berlin walks great on the harness and does not pull. Even with zeke he never started pulling until he was about 7 months old.

There are many different ways to train to get to an end result.

Again, I was more focused on the "my trainer recommends us using a harness unless actively working on loose leash walking with a collar to avoid confusion" part over whatever personal timeline we use with training my own personal sport dog.

I think a dog that will one day compete DOES require different training to an extent. A lot of foundation work was engagement and focus learning, touching and placing, etc... whereas the normal person wants a good sit, down, stay, etc. I would hope it could be deducted that we're going to be training our dogs differently and in different time frames.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Well I completely agree with that. Just stating we havent started on collar work yet. Berlin walks great on the harness and does not pull. Even with zeke he never started pulling until he was about 7 months old.

There are many different ways to train to get to an end result.

Again, I was more focused on the "my trainer recommends us using a harness unless actively working on loose leash walking with a collar to avoid confusion" part over whatever personal timeline we use with training my own personal sport dog.

I think a dog that will one day compete DOES require different training to an extent. A lot of foundation work was engagement and focus learning, touching and placing, etc... whereas the normal person wants a good sit, down, stay, etc. I would hope it could be deducted that we're going to be training our dogs differently and in different time frames.

Well, I'm competing with my dogs, too. And you are right: There are several things that are different in terms of training, socialization etc. compared to "family dogs".
And if it works with a harness for you it's great. I think it also depends on the dog and especially its owner because I'm personally not a friend of harnesses, I prefer collars (my pup only wears a harness while tracking).
But it's just like the last post said:
don't depend on a certain collar, leash or device. training is the key.
We seem to train the whole heeling stuff differently, though. I train my dogs without leash and collar in the beginning until they know what "heeling" is. If they do I can put collar and leash on, they don't really care...
But I guess for you it's supposed to be a signal that "work" is about to start (just like the harness right before tracking in my case). :)

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have two a girl just turned one and a 7 month old boy...going for a walk was exhausting ?
I got the "easy walk harness" (half price on amazon vs petco) What a difference !! I am not stressed they don't pull me all over - I actually can have both leashes in one hand.. Saved me.
I can enjoy taking them for walks ...

·
Registered
874 Posts
I tried the martingale ..still was pulling with that and I feel like I'm always in the corrective position which can NOT be a positive thing. Went back to the mesh harness and walks are back to normal again. There is VERY LITTLE pulling. I too am not a strict "heel" person..I will give her a little bit ahead and behind me...as long as there is no pulling. I'm a stroller unless I am speed walking which I won't do with her yet.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i don't know how to train a dog/pup without a collar and leash.

don't depend on a certain collar, leash or device. training is the key.

We seem to train the whole heeling stuff differently, though. I train my dogs without leash and collar in the beginning until they know what "heeling" is. If they do I can put collar and leash on, they don't really care...
But I guess for you it's supposed to be a signal that "work" is about to start (just like the harness right before tracking in my case). :)[/QUOTE]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts