German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was playing with Hugo this afternoon and I started thinking, what are normal 10 week old GSD behaviors? I have had GSDs my whole life but they were my dads so I have never really put much thought into it.

For example..... When we play and Hugo gets really crazy, he will bark and jump around trying to get me. Normal or no?

Thanks,
Lauren :)

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Sounds normal to me. When I wouldn't let them bite, they'd bark then snap their teeth together and air bite me which was really cute but I couldn't laugh. Hugo's just having fun and you're the closest thing he has to a littermate. But you get to decide when enough's enough

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
The flirtpole will help wear out Hugo and he won't be inclined to bite you if there is something else moving about.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We use the flirt pole and everything else we can think of to wear him out.... He also gets at least 4 walks a day and he is still always ready for whatever :) I even pull on his tug toy with my foot while cooking and doing dishes hahaha. But... I wouldn't want him any other way!
I will just tell him to sit and treat when he jumps and bites.
Also I babysit out of my home and I keep him in the kitchen while the kids are here. (until noon) But sometimes the kids will let him out and he jumps on their backs.... is that just normal puppy play too?

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Also I babysit out of my home and I keep him in the kitchen while the kids are here. (until noon) But sometimes the kids will let him out and he jumps on their backs.... is that just normal puppy play too?
Yes. Puppies jump on eachother and roll over - tumble - all in play. The challenge for us humans is to teach the puppy what is appropriate play. To avoid the kids being jumped on, nipped at, and so on, when you're babysitting, you may want to keep the puppy on a leash attached to you (that also helps with the potty training) and also give the puppy a break by having naptime in his crate. Your pup is real high energy but still needs his naps just like babies. There's a development chart in the book "The Art of Raising a Puppy" by the Monks of New Skete that you might find interesting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts