German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pup is almost 7 months and newly mouthy again. It almost feels like we're re-entering the landshark phase, but with a much stronger puppy. Our plan has been to neuter at 11 mos, as we agreed with the breeder to get it done by 12 mos. We're in weekly training classes and practice daily. He gets good daily exercise and sleep. The bitey behavior occurs most often in the first couple hours of the morning and also when he gets extra excited during regular play. Without warning, he'll go from playing with a toy to biting at our arms. We immediately correct him by saying "No" and standing up, both to avoid being seriously bit and to show the fun is over. Sometimes that's enough to stop the behavior and sometimes we have to leave the room for a moment, which always works. However, my question is if the escalation of play to biting will diminish once neutered?

I should note that he's sweet 95% of the time, but his 60lb size and growing, along with a strong bite, is the concern. We'll continue obedience training and exercise, but will neutering further settle him down or is this a normal stage that we have to work through regardless?

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
Simple answer is no, neutering is not a fix of ANY behavior. Think about it logically...he's not biting you with that part of the body is he? Then why would getting rid of that part stop the biting?

My dog can still get mouthy...I allow it with me and he only does it when I have sleeves on. He just kind of holds though and doesn't "bite." I've never actually felt pain from it. I think its the same way he plays with dogs when they bite at each other's necks. Remember...they don't have thumbs so their way of getting you to do something usually involves their mouth. This is a training issue...just keep showing him its not acceptable to bite the arms and only bite the toys. I'm sure he'll get over it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Simple answer is no, neutering is not a fix of ANY behavior. Think about it logically...he's not biting you with that part of the body is he? Then why would getting rid of that part stop the biting?

My dog can still get mouthy...I allow it with me and he only does it when I have sleeves on. He just kind of holds though and doesn't "bite." I've never actually felt pain from it. I think its the same way he plays with dogs when they bite at each other's necks. Remember...they don't have thumbs so their way of getting you to do something usually involves their mouth. This is a training issue...just keep showing him its not acceptable to bite the arms and only bite the toys. I'm sure he'll get over it.
I was under the impression that neutering reduces the dog's testosterone levels, which could impact behavior.

Also, the biting is strong and often breaks the skin. I wouldn't be so concerned if he was just putting his mouth around my arm without any force. It's the strength and unpredictability of his mouthiness that is of concern.

Again, he's sweet and obedient most all the time so I was hoping that being neutered would accelerate his getting past this stage. If not, we'll stay on course for the 11 month neuter date and continue consistent training and exercise.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I was under the impression that neutering reduces the dog's testosterone levels, which could impact behavior.

Also, the biting is strong and often breaks the skin. I wouldn't be so concerned if he was just putting his mouth around my arm without any force. It's the strength and unpredictability of his mouthiness that is of concern.

Again, he's sweet and obedient most all the time so I was hoping that being neutered would accelerate his getting past this stage. If not, we'll stay on course for the 11 month neuter date and continue consistent training and exercise.
Keep training bite inhibition and do not put your bets on neutering fixing it.
what I do in the morning (mine is only 5 months, so she just got out of the shark phase) is I put my hand in her mouth on purpose and if she is lightly biting or only very softly mouthing me, I say goooood girl and pet her, but as soon as it gets a little pressured (not too hard) I yell ah ah ah and pull it out. Then I repeat a few times, unless your dog bites really hard during this very not exciting thing, then I wouldnt do it. Mine just doesnt bite hard when she's not amped up and sh'es more predicatable if I just put my hand in her mouth.

So now she thinks that a tiny bit of pressure makes me feel pain but in reality it doesn't. It doesn't take them long to figure out that its the pressure of the bites that you dont want. I DO agree with 'no' and walk away when he bites your arms, but for mine, unless you said NO the instant her teeth touched you, she thought she was being scolded simply for being super excited, by putting my hand purposefully in her mouth she was able to pinpoint exactly what happened during play sessions that upset me. Maybe he is also confused why the play sessions end and he calms down just because you left, but doesn't really know why you left?

(If your dog draws blood if you get close to his mouth, by all means, do not stick your hand in there. I just brush mines teeth and am always inspecting all of the teeth to see if any new baby teeth fell out so I have my hands in her mouth all the time, so that's how this sort of came about for me)

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have a 7 month old boy too..we are waiting till he is a little older.
I Never allow his teeth on me ever..even in play . He is getting so big and strong. He's up to 75 pds.
Although the boys always try to roughhouse with him because he is a boy but I redirect to a game like Tug

The advise I've been getting is I wait to alter him. My vet says now, but people I respect that are breeders say to wait. I try to train everyday, we did puppy K. My biggest problem is he pulls when walking if I don't have a harness on him.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been practicing the bite inhibition exercises but he still will get excited and start putting his teeth into me at various times during the day. If I try to pet him when he's resting, he uses he mouth to tell me to go away. And when he's super-excited like the few minutes I'm getting my shoes on to take him for a walk, he'll jump on me and bite with force. Once we leave the house and begin the walk, he's an angel. Walks beautifully on the leash and completely sweet to people. Please tell me he will grow out of this biting thing. I'm really at wits end thinking this is how it's going to be and I will always need to be on high alert, especially when he's with my kids.

P.S. We're still going to training class where he shows off like he's a model citizen.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts