German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a veterinarian who they’ve used for their OFA X-rays. My dog is 1 year and almost 2 months and it’s killing me to not know his scores. So I’ve decided to get his prelims done on his hips at least. My breeder wants me to get them done anyways once he’s 2..

I’ve contacted my local vets for their prices and so far I’ve found one that charges in the $300 range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,002 Posts
I used Breeders Veterinary Services for 2 of my dogs.... he was quick, did not have to sedate them and positioning was excellent. Hips and elbows.

Based in Santa Rosa but he has a mobile practice, traveling to dog shows and events specifically offering x rays and other breeding related services. I saw him in 2010 at a show in Ventura, so i can’t help with his current prices.

Website is www.showdogmed.com

Edit: prices listed on website

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used Breeders Veterinary Services for 2 of my dogs.... he was quick, did not have to sedate them and positioning was excellent. Hips and elbows.

Based in Santa Rosa but he has a mobile practice, traveling to dog shows and events specifically offering x rays and other breeding related services. I saw him in 2010 at a show in Ventura, so i can’t help with his current prices.

Website is www.showdogmed.com

Edit: prices listed on website
Thank you. That’s probably the cheapest price I will find. It seems they were going to attend the Sacramento dog show that I had planned on going to in April. But the show is canceled.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I have another question. Say I get his prelims done for hips and elbows at 17 months old. Next month. If they came out with good rating would you still do them again at 2 years. I’ve seen some people breed their dogs who had passing scores but only had their prelims done.

·
Super Moderator
32,675 Posts
Are you planning to breed? If not, whatever x-rays show at 17 months should be very close to what you'd see at 24 months so I wouldn't necessarily do it again if the results were excellent or good for sure, and maybe not for fair. If I were going to both prelim and get a rating at 24 months or older, I'd probably do the prelims younger, closer to a year old. Otherwise, why not just wait a couple more months and get an official OFA rating? From the OFA website:

A previous OFA veterinary journal publication* compared the reliability of the preliminary evaluation hip grade phenotype with the 2 year old evaluation in dogs and there was 100% reliability for a preliminary grade of excellent being normal at 2 years of age (excellent, good, or fair). There was 97.9% reliability for a preliminary grade of good being normal at 2 years of age, and 76.9% reliability for a preliminary grade of fair being normal at 2 years of age. Reliability of preliminary evaluations increased as age at the time of preliminary evaluation increased, regardless of whether dogs received a preliminary evaluation of normal hip conformation or HD. For normal hip conformations, the reliability was 89.6% at 3-6 months, 93.8% at 7-12 months, and 95.2% at 13-18 months. These results suggest that preliminary evaluations of hip joint status in dogs are generally reliable. However, dogs that receive a preliminary evaluation of fair or mild hip joint conformation should be reevaluated at an older age (24 months).

I got an OFA rating on Dena, but with Halo I just did prelims at 13 months old. Hips were good and elbows normal, which was all I needed to know. With Keefer I did prelims but had them read by a radiologist rather than sending them to the OFA. I think he was about 15 months old at the time. I will be getting an OFA rating on Cava but I didn't do prelims.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts