German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I guess it's only right to introduce myself.

My name is Chad and I live in Central Indiana, and have for about 3.5 yrs or so. I'm originally from Northeast Indiana.

I have been raised with large dogs all my life. My uncle has had boxers for most of my life, my aunt and her family recently added a Doberman to their family about 6 yrs ago. Another uncle of mine has owned a few GSDs over the yrs. And as for my family...Our first dog was a Black GSD. She was definately a good addition to the family, however that was 25 yrs ago and she has since moved on to GSD heaven. Our last big dog was a black Chow. She had been with the family for 15 yrs until cancer finally showed it's ugly head. She was definately a part of the family, and alot of tears were shed on her departure. Even though she was brought into the family as a homecoming present for me, she had always lived with my parents at thier home. Since I was under age when she was brought in, my mother always considered her, to be her dog. I ended up moving out of state and therefore since the dog had always lived with my mother, she decided to keep her with her, when I moved back to Indiana I decided to move around the Indianapolis area, which is where I am now, however I'm about 25 minutes north. I'm not what you would call a big city guy. Most of my dads family lives in Kentucky, GA, TN and NC, therefore I spend alot of time in the southeastern mountains as well. So, I am definately hoping that my next GSD will be an avid hiker when the time comes! lol

Other than that, it gives a basic introduction as to who I am and my being around other animals. If there is anything else anyone may want to know, just give me a shout, I'm not a very quiet nor secretive person. lol

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Welcome Chad, you will find lots of good information on here. :)

·
Registered
626 Posts
Welcome aboard Chad ... Good luck on your quest for a GSD !!!

·
Super Moderator
32,585 Posts
Hi Chad, my husband has relatives in Northeastern Indiana - they live on a dairy farm in Wawaka (Noble County). Is that near where you're from?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cassidy's Mom, LOL that is awsome. I had actually lived a bit west of Wawaka for about 7 yrs when I was younger. We lived in Cromwell and then moved into Ligonier which is where I went to elementary school until 5th grade was over then I moved over to the JR. High out towards Cromwell by Stones Trace. I had a few friends that actually lived in Wawaka. And some family still actually lives in Ligonier.

One thing I remember is always coming around the big curve before you get into "town" and having a semi fly through. That use to freak me out as a kid, especially in winter.

My mother and stepfather actually moved east to a town outside of Auburn. Which is where I ended up moving from.

My stepfathers family are the ones that got us to move to Ligonier, his family has lived there for about 50 yrs now maybe or a little less. One things for sure, if you grew up around Ligonier everyone knows everyone, or atleast someone in your family. LOL

·
Super Moderator
32,585 Posts
Cassidy's Mom, LOL that is awsome. I had actually lived a bit west of Wawaka for about 7 yrs when I was younger. We lived in Cromwell and then moved into Ligonier which is where I went to elementary school until 5th grade was over then I moved over to the JR. High out towards Cromwell by Stones Trace. I had a few friends that actually lived in Wawaka. And some family still actually lives in Ligonier.
I've heard of Ligonier, but I've only visited Indiana once and we didn't visit there. We stayed in Kendallville, and drove between there and his aunt & uncle's house in Wawaka, so I haven't seen much of Indiana - we flew into Fort Wayne. Pretty amazing that I've only been there once, since I've been with my hubby since 1979! He used to spend summers there from 1972 when he was 12 years old until he graduated from High School in 1978, and that year he stayed until early December, which is when I met him.

Do you know of the Keefers? Tom's uncle's grandfather bought the farm back in the 40's, so they've been there for a long time.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I haven't posted on here in such a long time but had to after seeing all of these Indiana town names. Debbie, I lived in Kendallville for most of my younger years (a long time ago). Still have many distant relatives in Ligonier, Albion, Howe, Angola, LaGrange, Goshen. I was born in Garrett. My mom's family has lived/lives in just about every town in that area. My daughter and I go to Shipshewana (Amish country) every few years. I love driving through Indiana, the huge barns, working farms, horse and buggies, just very relaxing to me.
Robbie

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jes, So if you were born in Garrett, I would take it that you were born in the old Sacred Heart Hospital across from where the Catholic Church now stands? My mother was born in that hospital as well, my mother was raised in Garrett.

I myself haven't been up to shipsy in about 3-4 yrs now. As a child I use to go with some friends to the Livestock auctions.

And like you Jes, much of my mothers family lives in those areas, Auburn, Kendallville, Ligonier, Garrett.

I haven't posted on here in such a long time but had to after seeing all of these Indiana town names. Debbie, I lived in Kendallville for most of my younger years (a long time ago). Still have many distant relatives in Ligonier, Albion, Howe, Angola, LaGrange, Goshen. I was born in Garrett. My mom's family has lived/lives in just about every town in that area. My daughter and I go to Shipshewana (Amish country) every few years. I love driving through Indiana, the huge barns, working farms, horse and buggies, just very relaxing to me.
Robbie

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cassidy's Mom, I would have to say, the name doesn't ring a bell right off hand. However that might be different for my step father, with that being his old stomping grounds.

I've heard of Ligonier, but I've only visited Indiana once and we didn't visit there. We stayed in Kendallville, and drove between there and his aunt & uncle's house in Wawaka, so I haven't seen much of Indiana - we flew into Fort Wayne. Pretty amazing that I've only been there once, since I've been with my hubby since 1979! He used to spend summers there from 1972 when he was 12 years old until he graduated from High School in 1978, and that year he stayed until early December, which is when I met him.

Do you know of the Keefers? Tom's uncle's grandfather bought the farm back in the 40's, so they've been there for a long time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts