German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brutus started having diarrhea over a week and half ago. We didn't think much of it because when he runs and plays a lot at the park his stools get loose and then return to normal by the time we get home. We were watching tv when he got this extremely sour look on his face and then without warning threw up everywhere. The next day he wouldn't touch his food but he was drinking a lot of water and tried to get him to eat but he would turn his face up when we tried to feed him. We gave him pepto and boiled meat for him but he would eat a few bites and then go lie down. His stools became firm again and we decided that maybe he just wasn't hungry. The next day he wouldn't eat again and we made him rice... Again only a few bites and that was it. We brought him to the vet and they ran a lot of blood work on him and sent us home with anti diarrhea meds and bland food. The medicine didn't work at all and he still will not touch his food. I have stopped feeding him the bland food and I have been able to successfully get him to eat some pure canned pumpkin( not the pie stuff just plain regular pumpkin.) but only a few bites and that all . His blood work was negative and his pancreas and chem panel were fine. He is still having watery stools that are yellow in color and his appetite hasn't returned to normal yet. There is no fever, he isn't extremely lethargic just a little more tired and a little less playful. I am extremely worried and we bring him in again tomorrow for a stool sample. He is drinking plenty of water and he is up to date on shots and everything. He is currently on flea meds and heart worm preventatives. Has anyone experienced this before ?? I am worried it is something serious and my vet seems to think that it will go away.... I am bringing him for a second opinion elsewhere if the vet can't give me any solid information tomorrow.
Any advice or stories are much appreciated

Thanks,
Alex

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
138 Posts
It can be a number of things causing this. Bacterial infection, worms/parasites, colitis, food allergies, also if the dog has gotten a hold of something they should not swallow. This can be rotten food, dead animals, stagnant water, or objects like metal, plastic, wood. Some times they swallow things that get caught in the digestive track which can cause the runs. Also the intestines can get twisted or inflamed for various reasons. I hope your vet figures out what is going on because this can be caused by so many different things.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I would insist on xrays as well. could be a partial blockage, could be alot of things

hope he feels better soon

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I would have him test for coccidia and giardia (two different test, do a snap test on giardia), both cause loose stool and loss of appetite. If those are negative then x-ray for blockage as mentioned above. Keep him hydrated.

·
Registered
42 Posts
How many days has he not been eating?

Our oldest girl will get an upset belly every now and then. She will vomit and refuse food for a day or two. Usually we can hear a lot of burbling and gurgling from her gut when this happens. Clears up on its own.

I would never let her go beyond 48 hours refusing food. My concern would be a blockage at that point.

Is your guy the type who eats non-food items?

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I'd definitely take him back to the vet for further testing.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I am glad you will be taking Brutus for a second opinion since this is obviously not normal :( This test is one my vet runs whenever we have unexplained diarrhea, it's not cheap but might give you some answers:
http://www.idexx.com/pubwebresource...tes/realpcr-canine-feline-diarrhea-panels.pdf

Has he lost any weight? It doesn't really sound like EPI and I sure hope he doesn't have it but here is a link just in case: Forum - EPI * Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency

I hope you get some answers soon and that Brutus feels better soon!

Michaela

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
YellowYellowing of feces can be caused by an infection known as Giardiasis, which derives its name from Giardia, an anaerobic flagellated protozoan parasite that can cause severe and communicable yellow diarrhea. Another cause of yellowing is a condition known as Gilbert's Syndrome. This condition is characterized by jaundice and hyperbilirubinemia when too much bilirubin is present in the circulating blood.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_feces

Giardia is sometimes hard to catch - should treat for that regardless of dx. add some slippery elm - capsules you can just put down throat.

Try Trippett brand green tripe (or fresh if you can find), most dogs won't refuse.

You will need a probiotic - for simplicity sake - look for a probiotic/digestive enzyme combo - giardia does damage (small perforations) to the small intestine leading to leaky gut - the d-zymes will help break food down into smaller molecules so you don't end up with circulating proteins in the blood leading to allergy issues

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He has lost almost 10 pounds since the diarrhea started. We just brought him to another vet instead of bring him to the original one. They ran a fecal exam and checked for worms, coccidia, the other thing giardia. I bought him some bland canned food which is for sensitive stomachs and is salmon and sweet potato based with no grains and poor thing ate a whole can In 10 minutes. They gave him some probiotics and some other medicine to help with diarrhea to help. I just want my baby to feel better. : (

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
YellowYellowing of feces can be caused by an infection known as Giardiasis, which derives its name from Giardia, an anaerobic flagellated protozoan parasite that can cause severe and communicable yellow diarrhea. Another cause of yellowing is a condition known as Gilbert's Syndrome. This condition is characterized by jaundice and hyperbilirubinemia when too much bilirubin is present in the circulating blood.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_feces

Giardia is sometimes hard to catch - should treat for that regardless of dx. add some slippery elm - capsules you can just put down throat.

Try Trippett brand green tripe (or fresh if you can find), most dogs won't refuse.

You will need a probiotic - for simplicity sake - look for a probiotic/digestive enzyme combo - giardia does damage (small perforations) to the small intestine leading to leaky gut - the d-zymes will help break food down into smaller molecules so you don't end up with circulating proteins in the blood leading to allergy issues
They told me that if the diarrhea isn't gone by Thursday or Friday that we would be running more fecal tests for this incase they missed it the first time around

·
Super Moderator
32,539 Posts
What meds did they give him?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What meds did they give him?
The gave him a probiotic powder that we put on his canned food and then we got some other medicine I can't remember the name off hand that is supposed to help his stomach settle and let him stop having an upset stomach. My thoughts are that he has an allergy to his lamb and rice food and that he is having a bad reaction. I have gotten him the Simple Wellness natural food with no grains added and used to help dogs with food sensitivities. It is the salmon and potato kind I am hoping this stuff is going to help start eating again

1 - 15 of 15 Posts