German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday Riley was spayed. After waiting several hours for them to call me, (like they indicated they would) I finally called to check how she did. I was told she was a "non-routine" spay that meant more bleeding, larger incision, more sutures.. generally just more trouble. They got her fixed up just fine, but her recovery MAY be slightly longer than a typical routine spay.

They didn't offer any reasons for why that may have happened. However, I am wondering if this could be due to her being close to heat. When I had taken her last week for a pre op exam I expressed my concerns about her being close to heat, and that I was afraid I'd waited too long and would have to wait to spay her. No mention and was told she wasn't swollen and wasn't in heat.

I'm just wondering if she WAS in the early stages of heat, and they did the spay anyway, is there anything I should be particularly worried about... is it very bad to spay in early heat?? Or is the concern with the procedure itself?

Personally, I'm a bit miffed it was something out of the ordinary and I had to call them to find out about it. This was a new vet and I'm not entirely sure if we're going to continue the relationship.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
It could be due to the heat cycle if she was close to coming in. There is increased blood flow to the uterus then. I don't know how close all of that happens though.

My veterinarian is very experienced. He says that German Shepherds are one of the harder breeds to spay due to their anatomy. I would want someone experienced with GSD spay doing the procedure.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I agree that it was because she was close to her heat. I've helped with many spays during/around heat time (and a few that were pregnant also), and there is alot more blood.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It could be due to the heat cycle if she was close to coming in. There is increased blood flow to the uterus then. I don't know how close all of that happens though.

My veterinarian is very experienced. He says that German Shepherds are one of the harder breeds to spay due to their anatomy. I would want someone experienced with GSD spay doing the procedure.
This is the same vet my husband and his parents take/took their GSD's to for a number of years. Granted, when I was in there all I saw were little dogs. plus, the doctor that did Riley's procedure was a new vet, not the owner of the practice. :paranoid:

She seems close to herself today, I imagine I'm going to have trouble keeping her calm in another day or so.. she is afterall a puppy. I just hope her recovery continues to be smooth.

·
Registered
31,994 Posts
I think like any other surgery that complications can occur. No sense in stressing about it online. When you pick her up, ask the vet exactly what happened. If it was a surgery day then the doctor may not have had time to make phone calls.

I do have to say, when Jax had a lump removed with complications with the anesthetic, the vet was right on the phone with me making sure I knew exactly what was going on. But her heart rate bottomed out on him. If it's a routine kind of complication I doubt he would have called.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think like any other surgery that complications can occur. No sense in stressing about it online. When you pick her up, ask the vet exactly what happened. If it was a surgery day then the doctor may not have had time to make phone calls.

I do have to say, when Jax had a lump removed with complications with the anesthetic, the vet was right on the phone with me making sure I knew exactly what was going on. But her heart rate bottomed out on him. If it's a routine kind of complication I doubt he would have called.
your post actually was very helpful... I didn't think about it before but when we picked her up last night, they were BUSY. We had to wait while the couple in front go their post op instructions. I could see another dog in the back... It's entirely possible they were swamped and just unable to call me.

Riley has been great today, much more mellow, but great for less than 24 hours after surgery.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Though it doesn't sound like it, with a lot of bleeding one thing to consider is Von Willebrand's disease.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts