German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry this is not GSD related, but don't know where else to ask, not many shih tzu forums out there.

In the last 7 days our shih tzu has escaped our back yard 4 times. We had him for 4 years, he's 10.5 years old.

Nothing in our or his routine has changed in the last 7 days, on Monday someone found him on the side of the road she said she picked him up around 8:20am we left home for work at 6:40am, yesterday he wandered into someone yard at abour 8:30am....so he's escaping as soon as we leave.

We have blocked every area we think he's escaping from on Monday, he dug under the gate so my husband but a wheelbarrow full of gravel, we can't even open the gate but yesterday he dug through that.

Our dogs have access to a room with a doggie door to the back yard which is fenced.

Could he have separation anxiety and that's why he's escaping, I just don't know what to do....today he's in one of the bedrooms, I can't take a chance that he escapes again, he might not be so lucky.

Any suggestions why the sudden change...... for 4 years he never tried to escape.

Thanks for reading..............any suggestions!

I'm really lost on this!

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
It could be as simple as after the first time he did it, he realized he COULD get out.

I agree with what you're doing with keeping him out of the backyard completely while you're away. The only other thing that would be fairly foolproof would building a outside dog run with a concrete floor and heavy gauge wiring. Or running a electric wire around the entire backyard a few inches above the ground so he can't get near the edges.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes he's neutered...........has been since he was 6 months old. And when we are home, he doesn't try or even want to leave....

Last night I sat outside with them and he lay on the porch for more than two hours, got up once did his business and back on the porch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts