German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I just wanted to get some advice about something. I realize that I'm not giving a lot of info to go on but if you all could just point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. A friend of mine has a 2ish year old male beagle. Apparently (and I say apparently bc she has a tendency to be full of crap) she woke up last night to him seizing. He was shaking the bed and his eyes were rolled back into his head and it lasted about a minute. Oh and he pee'd and pooped all over the bed. (Sorry just giving a background) Anyways she called the emergency vet and they told her that a seizure lasting only 1 minute is not that unusual and to only bring him in if he has another one.

So my question is, is it really not a big deal for a dog to have one seizure? I mean, the only thing I keep thinking is I can't imagine a dog having a seizure for absolutely no reason at all without there being some sort of underlying issue. If it were one of my dogs, they would already be in to the vet but as far as I know she hasn't taken him in.

So should she definitely take him in right away, or should she observe him for a few days to see if he has another?

If she does take him, where is a good place to start looking for problems? Should she have them run blood panels or do something else? Is it possible it could be diet related bc I know she feeds her dogs crap food?

One last thing, is there a thread or website or something that is a good source of general information on the subject that I could forward on to her?

Anyways, sorry for all of the questions :eek: I really appreciate the input!!

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
He had one seizure so far.

My family dog Kota, had one seizure that turned into many seizures. Her eyes would go wild, she would stretch out her legs and her toes were apart and pointed, her mouth would open and close and she bit my mom several times, she also pooped or peed during them.

After her first seizure my mom took her to the Vet and he told her that she needed to be put on medication.

While she is on medication she doesn't get them as often but when she is off medication she gets them frequently.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that's what I was thinking. I just don't know why they told her not to bring him in. I mean I could understand them saying she could wait until morning but I definitely wouldn't want to be waiting for the next one. I guess its possible that she misunderstood what they meant though.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He had one seizure so far.

My family dog Kota, had one seizure that turned into many seizures. Her eyes would go wild, she would stretch out her legs and her toes were apart and pointed, her mouth would open and close and she bit my mom several times, she also pooped or peed during them.

After her first seizure my mom took her to the Vet and he told her that she needed to be put on medication.

While she is on medication she doesn't get them as often but when she is off medication she gets them frequently.
So was your mom's dog diagnosed with epilepsy? Or are they caused by something else? (If you don't mind me asking :rolleyes:)

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
So was your mom's dog diagnosed with epilepsy? Or are they caused by something else? (If you don't mind me asking :rolleyes:)
You know, I'm not really sure? She started getting them when she was 2 or 3 years old, she's almost 12 now. I'll call her and ask.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
When Kiya had her first siezure, I took her to the er. Of course nothing showed up in any blood test or xray, they told me to call my vet and follow up with him. When I did speak to my vet, he did tell me to keep an eye on her and hopefully it would be the 1 time. Well about 48 hours later she started having siezures and almost went into status, which means they couldn't stop them. She was put on meds and we have been dealing with this for about 5 years. She has very good control with meds now. She was diagnosed with Idiopathic Epilepsy, till this day we have no idea why this happened to her or what the triggers are. There are lots of online support groups and unfortunately there are a lot of dogs with siezures. I found this group to be one of the best.
Canine Epilepsy Resources

·
Registered
31 Posts
We have an epileptic beagle. We noticed saliva all over the couch one day which was very unusual. The next morning there were several pee puddles in the house. That night we kept him in our bedroom and witnessed a seizure. We're pretty sure that he had at least 3 before we knew what was going on.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When Kiya had her first siezure, I took her to the er. Of course nothing showed up in any blood test or xray, they told me to call my vet and follow up with him. When I did speak to my vet, he did tell me to keep an eye on her and hopefully it would be the 1 time. Well about 48 hours later she started having siezures and almost went into status, which means they couldn't stop them. She was put on meds and we have been dealing with this for about 5 years. She has very good control with meds now. She was diagnosed with Idiopathic Epilepsy, till this day we have no idea why this happened to her or what the triggers are. There are lots of online support groups and unfortunately there are a lot of dogs with siezures. I found this group to be one of the best.
Canine Epilepsy Resources
Thank you for your help! That website is exactly what I am looking for!

And I am very glad to hear your baby is doing well now :D

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
One seizure that the dog was able to come out of with no issues is probably not worth an ER visit. If the dog isn't having cluster seizures and isn't unconscious there isn't much an ER clinic will be able to do. Usually once dogs come out of seizures, they look and act normal. Definitely would make an appointment with the regular vet and do blood work including a full thyroid panel. Blood work will rule out some diseases which can cause seizures. Also have her think of anything the dog may have come in contact with that could have caused a reaction - drugs, pesticides, cleaning products, ect.

One seizure isn't a reason to start medication but it's good to establish a history with the vet and to rule out underlying disease.

FWIW Epilepsy is a pretty major concern in Beagles.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One seizure that the dog was able to come out of with no issues is probably not worth an ER visit. If the dog isn't having cluster seizures and isn't unconscious there isn't much an ER clinic will be able to do. Usually once dogs come out of seizures, they look and act normal. Definitely would make an appointment with the regular vet and do blood work including a full thyroid panel. Blood work will rule out some diseases which can cause seizures. Also have her think of anything the dog may have come in contact with that could have caused a reaction - drugs, pesticides, cleaning products, ect.

One seizure isn't a reason to start medication but it's good to establish a history with the vet and to rule out underlying disease.

FWIW Epilepsy is a pretty major concern in Beagles.

Thanks for the advice! I will definitely pass it on. And, yes, from the minimal research I have done, it does seem like it is a common occurrence for the breed.

Thanks again!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts