German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
The Nerd Herder
Joined
·
7,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a friend:

It has been an extremely rough 24 hours, yesterday I found this beautiful beast 100% unresponsive in my backyard, she looked dead had no pulse ! After we got her in the car I rushed her to the emergency room got her to start breathing in the parking lot. Spent the night on an IV
 liver enzymes are elevated, she was exposed to some toxins. We have no clue what caused it! No I don't think any of my neighbors are poisoning my dogs, we have searched every avenue identifying every plant growing, sadly this happened with another dog last year we're trying to find the cause!
I have three vets looking into it along with several people doing some research! 
Both incidents the dog was 100% normal and then all of a sudden almost dead both have high liver enzymes and absolutely no other symptoms! It has nothing to do with dog food, heartworm or flea preventative, first incident the dog did it in the bed before ever getting in the backyard, Second incident happened in the backyard but she was only out there for about 15 minutes with another dog who was completely normal! No bites stings or anything like that
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,995 Posts
I hope the dog recovers, that is rough. I'd pull every weed, just in case. And maybe get a soil test done, who knows what was put on it. Other than that I got nothin'.
I did find this article, not sure it's any help, but it explains sudden liver failure. Apparently most common than I knew.
 

·
Registered
Fern GSD 5yrs, Chloe the Cat
Joined
·
1,208 Posts
How big were the dogs? Did you guys look into poisonous amphibians by any chance? They can be really nasty. They should be hibernating under rocks, debris etc and the dogs could have unearthed them. The Fowlers Frog (they're in Ohio but not sure where in conjunction to your location) can kill medium-sized dogs I believe. The American toad might be able to if it was consumed. Have you guys contacted the wildlife people? They might have information on any invasive species that are more poisonous than the native wildlife you guys have.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,875 Posts
In warm areas, Sago Palms are the devil. They produce a seed that is deadly, and birds pick them up and drop the seeds -- so you might not have one, but the seeds still make it into your yard. A friend lost her dog to that. I wish sago palms would be outlawed. People who have those palms who fail to bag and dispose of the seeds put their neighbors' dogs at risk.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,015 Posts
Where is the dog located? Locally we have a toxic toad. They stay quiet and hidden 95% of the year. For a week or so in mid-summer, they go a bit nuts during mating season and are wandering everywhere. A bit like my teenage years :(

Luckily, they taste horrible. I have never seen a dog take more than a couple of bites before they spit it out and learn to stay well clear of the toads.
 

·
Registered
Fraserglens Ellie of Carmspack 16/12/2021
Joined
·
1,048 Posts
We lost a pup some years ago, went to bed perfectly normal.. throw up and diarreah all night, lethargic in the morning. Took to emergency he dwindled all day and ended up passing away.. devastated we did post-mortem and toxicology report, vet concluded it must of been a poisonous mushroom.. I’ve seen some gnarly ones in my yard this year.
 

·
Administrator
The Nerd Herder
Joined
·
7,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dog is in Texas.

Thanks for the info. The dog has recovered but they want to get to the bottom of things because it's a recurring problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,572 Posts
poisonous mushrooms can be elegant or normal or not. keying out mushrooms involves lots of information - if there is any question, I'd refer the mushroom to a local mushroom group for ID. You could probably look up something like amaneta and ID those (they are flashy & distinctive) but for more nuanced fungi, talk to someone who knows the plants.
 

·
Registered
German Shepherds (Czech Working & Western Showline) and Belgian Malinois
Joined
·
3 Posts
Any noticeable sores in the mouth or excessive salivation? This is the season for trees and plants to start dropping fruit and leaves. I have a neighbor who lost a dog to yew. He had no history of the plant and it was assumed that birds ate the berries and dropped them on his property.
 

·
Registered
Fraserglens Ellie of Carmspack 16/12/2021
Joined
·
1,048 Posts
We had quite a bit of rain this summer and several mushrooms popped up in the dog yard. When on "poop" patrol I'd look for mushrooms and pull them out. I'm not sure if any were poisonous but not chancing it.
Ya I’ve been weary of mushrooms ever since.. our pup was quite small so I imagine it wouldn’t have the same affect om a grown dog but still. I saw a dark/blue purple one this year never saw anything like it before.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
258 Posts
Where i live the first thing I would blame would be Cane Toads. They excrete a poison through their skin that is absorbed through the gums when bit and sometimes depending on the dosage it can kill a dog.

I don't know where you live but if cane toads are part of your fauna (they are an invasive species) it could be the problem.

I had a dog that frequently bit them but I caught the symptoms early since the first incident and rinsed his mouth with a water hose. He continued to attack Cane Toads but I always knew when he had done it because he foamed at the mouth. Rising his gums with water every time i saw the problem I was able to eventually get him to be immune.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,851 Posts
In warm areas, Sago Palms are the devil. They produce a seed that is deadly, and birds pick them up and drop the seeds -- so you might not have one, but the seeds still make it into your yard. A friend lost her dog to that. I wish sago palms would be outlawed. People who have those palms who fail to bag and dispose of the seeds put their neighbors' dogs at risk.
Why aren’t they banned?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,851 Posts
I've said this many times. They're extremely common and popular, unfortunately.
I was walking and passed by two yards with them now that I know what to look for. I’m sure there are a lot more. My mom even had some in her yard years ago but I did not know what they were. One if her dogs died a suspicious death and their vet had no idea why. We have a lot of birds that drop things in our yard. My dog has a seizure disorder and the vet is 95% sure it’s from something he ate. That could be the source.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
9,671 Posts
There are literally thousands of plants growing wild and in landscapes that are poisonous. It's just not possible to eliminate them.Swallowing a seed or piece of leaf will generally pass through with no ill effect. Chewing and crushing the toxic leaf or seed before ingesting can be deadly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,875 Posts
I was walking and passed by two yards with them now that I know what to look for. I’m sure there are a lot more. My mom even had some in her yard years ago but I did not know what they were. One if her dogs died a suspicious death and their vet had no idea why. We have a lot of birds that drop things in our yard. My dog has a seizure disorder and the vet is 95% sure it’s from something he ate. That could be the source.
Get in the habit of bagging the seeds (nuts, in the center of the plant), knotting the bag, and putting it in the trash can outside. I use a dog poop bag over my hand like a glove, grab them, then flip it over and tie the knot. I've asked a few near-by neighbors to do it, or let me do it for them. The seeds are the super-dangerous part of this plant.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top