German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cousins 8 month old Rott puppy will not stop trying to mount my GSD constantly. My GSD is not happy about this and neither am I. It happens all the time, it's like he cant think about anything else but doing that and I am sick of it. My cousin makes a loud "ah ah" noise and grabs him by the collar and makes him sit by her until he calms down (I wish she would put him in his freaking crate). A couple minutes later he is all over my GSD again. The Rott is really smart, he is easy to train and he catches on quick but he isn't getting this or he doesn't want to get it.

He also grabs my GSD's tail. He will run after him and try to bite his tail while my dog tucks it between his legs and lays on his tail to keep it away from the Rott.

How do I get this to stop? It's really ticking me off and I dont want him to keep harrassing my dog!

:help::help::help:

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's interesting that he only mounts Sinister and not Rogue?
Rogue wouldn't tolerate it, Rogue is the boss of the dogs.

Sinister is more submissive and that Rott is taking advantage of it.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
It sounds like Rogue would snap on Biff if Biff tried to mount him. Sin is less confrontational, so that's probably why...

does Sin snap back at Biff like "hey get off me"? Mandi would never let Cody mount, even though he sure tried a lot too. like you said, we'd yell at him, then he'd try again in a few minutes.

if she nuetered Biff it would help. Cody toned it way down after his operation

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It sounds like Rogue would snap on Biff if Biff tried to mount him. Sin is less confrontational, so that's probably why...

does Sin snap back at Biff like "hey get off me"? Mandi would never let Cody mount, even though he sure tried a lot too. like you said, we'd yell at him, then he'd try again in a few minutes.

if she nuetered Biff it would help. Cody toned it way down after his operation
Exactly! Rogue would tear him a new hole!

Sin barks back and snaps at him but the Rott barks even louder and makes a growl, he is alot heavier than Sin and he uses his weight to push Sin around and I have heard Sinister yelp before because Biff's fat butt is all over him. :mad:

Help, Help, Help!

·
Registered
68 Posts
My cousins 8 month old Rott puppy will not stop trying to mount my GSD constantly. My GSD is not happy about this and neither am I. It happens all the time, it's like he cant think about anything else but doing that and I am sick of it. My cousin makes a loud "ah ah" noise and grabs him by the collar and makes him sit by her until he calms down (I wish she would put him in his freaking crate). A couple minutes later he is all over my GSD again. The Rott is really smart, he is easy to train and he catches on quick but he isn't getting this or he doesn't want to get it.

He also grabs my GSD's tail. He will run after him and try to bite his tail while my dog tucks it between his legs and lays on his tail to keep it away from the Rott.

How do I get this to stop? It's really ticking me off and I dont want him to keep harrassing my dog!

:help::help::help:
I completely understand how you feel!! My bf oldest sister has a beagle that will constantly mount my aussie. He won't mess with Kaya bc she won't stand for it but he is relentless with Kobi. It is so infuriating to me because the poor guy is usually just trying to play and he is always the one getting ganged up on! At least your cousin tries to stop it. His sister is dumb and her and her bf think its really funny. I know its not really a big deal but I hate it bc if he catches Kobi on a day that he has had enough it turns into a blood war. And that just sucks all the way around.

I'm interested to see what others have to say about how to correct the situation. Usually I force her to put Cooper (the beagle) on a leash and continue with verbal corrections when he does it. Then I try to distract him with some other play behavior. Sometimes it helps. I don't think the crate is a bad idea either when Sin has had enough of it. But that's just my very inexperienced opinion :)

Good Luck!

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She wanted to get him neutered but then her best friend and I told her to wait a little longer, until he is a year old but he started this non stop humpty dumpty act thursday I believe.

I want it to stop!

·
2,967 Posts
I wouldn't say that's non-GSD behavior...that sound like plain old puppy behavior to me.

Tag and Cade were both monsters to the older dogs- and it all depended on what dogs would let him get away with it. Ike and Anka would not. They would turn around and issue a teeth bared correction and let the puppy know to STOP. Argos and Cade would allow it- so they keep on getting harassed.

It's just about consistancy, redirecting, and managing the environment. And it takes time. Even now, my younger dogs will sometimes get overexcited and try to start humping. Not that this is ever a popular solution because it always turns into "why should my dog have to leave...he was here first" but maybe you could arrange a schedule where sometimes Sin is in his crate and sometimes the puppy is in his. They both need time out, not with each other.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wouldn't say that's non-GSD behavior...that sound like plain old puppy behavior to me.

Tag and Cade were both monsters to the older dogs- and it all depended on what dogs would let him get away with it. Ike and Anka would not. They would turn around and issue a teeth bared correction and let the puppy know to STOP. Argos and Cade would allow it- so they keep on getting harassed.

It's just about consistancy, redirecting, and managing the environment. And it takes time. Even now, my younger dogs will sometimes get overexcited and try to start humping. Not that this is ever a popular solution because it always turns into "why should my dog have to leave...he was here first" but maybe you could arrange a schedule where sometimes Sin is in his crate and sometimes the puppy is in his. They both need time out, not with each other.
The dogs dont spend alot of time together, my cousin isn't home alot and she always takes Biff with her. Last night me and all of my animals stayed in my room and watched tv because the Rott chases the cats and goes after Sin, we were hiding out in my room while the beast was free to roam the house.

I need my cousin to stay with me and help me with the bills, but her dog is Chester the Molester! :mad:

·
Registered
32,000 Posts
Well, I think you need to talk to your cousin and set down a list of rules. If all the animals are living in the same house then it is everyone's responsibility to make sure all the same rules are followed all the time. So, instead of hiding in your room. Make her put a leash on him so that when he is chasing the cats and taking a piggyback ride on Sinister, anyone can get to him and correct him.

just to add...Jax would do this to Sierra as she got older. It does take time. You could literally see Jax's eyes kind of glaze over right before she decided to mount Sierra. It was a dominance thing. She wasn't playing.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I think you need to talk to your cousin and set down a list of rules. If all the animals are living in the same house then it is everyone's responsibility to make sure all the same rules are followed all the time. So, instead of hiding in your room. Make her put a leash on him so that when he is chasing the cats and taking a piggyback ride on Sinister, anyone can get to him and correct him.
That is a really good idea, I didn't even think of that.

Do you agree with time outs too? I want her to put him in a time out but she doesn't want to, I dont really know her reason for it but it almost sounds like she feels bad doing it?

So it is a dominance thing? Not just a teenage boy thing?

·
Registered
32,000 Posts
I think if he continues to do it after being told No, I see no reason why he couldn't have a 'time out'. Personally, I don't unless they are completely out of control. Just remember, regardless of his size, he is STILL very much a puppy. You can't teach him what is acceptable if he spends to much time in the crate. :)

You live in the same house. You have to coexist. So, change your mindset from It's her dog, her problem to It's our house, our problem. I know it's hard. I live with a man whose idea of "letting them be a dog" is to have no manners and sleep in a recliner. So, when Sierra bolts thru the door guess who she'll come back to and guess who she won't. I let him run up and down the road looking for his dog while I I call her in and we're all safely inside. You would think he would learn....

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think if he continues to do it after being told No, I see no reason why he couldn't have a 'time out'. Personally, I don't unless they are completely out of control. Just remember, regardless of his size, he is STILL very much a puppy. You can't teach him what is acceptable if he spends to much time in the crate. :)

You live in the same house. You have to coexist. So, change your mindset from It's her dog, her problem to It's our house, our problem. I know it's hard. I live with a man whose idea of "letting them be a dog" is to have no manners and sleep in a recliner. So, when Sierra bolts thru the door guess who she'll come back to and guess who she won't. I let him run up and down the road looking for his dog while I I call her in and we're all safely inside. You would think he would learn....
I get that he is a puppy but he is a very strong puppy, he throws his weight around, I think he knows his strength and he knows how to use it to get his way. I have corrected him and my cousin said it's ok but I dont like doing it, I dont know if I would like someone else correcting my dog. I like the dog, I play with him and pet him, he's a good dog but he takes advantage of Sinister and I wish that Sin would just stick up for himself for once and put that puppy in his place but he wont.

He gets very rough and loud when he attempts to mount Sin. Growls and loud barks, he pushes Sin down and basically jumps on him and I already worry about his hips and this big fatty is all over him and I have heard Sin yell out a couple of times.

·
Registered
32,000 Posts
I would not normally correct someone else's dog but if we're living in the same house I absolutely will if it's affecting me and my animals. Talk to her and let her know she is NOT doing that dog any favors by allowing him to get away with this.

It's not Sin's responsibility to stick up for himself in this situation. It is your cousin's responsibility to train her dog and your responsibility to protect Sin. Otherwise, you are going to end up with one **** of a dog fight eventually. Been there, done that.

I think, at his age, he is probably testing the water to see who is going to be top dog rather than playing. If she continues to allow this he could carry it over to other dogs, and their owners won't be so forgiving, as well as continuing the prey behavior towards your cats.

Sin and the cats were there first. Last in, First Out.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
You are setting Biff up to fail. Your cousin needs to get her ass in gear and train him.

THIS. IS. A. TRAINING. ISSUE.

Imagine he was humping you, because it will be you next. So get him off Sinister, do NILF, feed him LAST in the pack. You should not be forced to hole yourself up because of Biff. That is ridiculas.

Dogs need work, time and patience. Get to training, or get your cousin training. But an intact, male rottweiler needs boundaries- and a job!

Bet he'll start marking your house next.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would not normally correct someone else's dog but if we're living in the same house I absolutely will if it's affecting me and my animals. Talk to her and let her know she is NOT doing that dog any favors by allowing him to get away with this.

It's not Sin's responsibility to stick up for himself in this situation. It is your cousin's responsibility to train her dog and your responsibility to protect Sin. Otherwise, you are going to end up with one **** of a dog fight eventually. Been there, done that.

I think, at his age, he is probably testing the water to see who is going to be top dog rather than playing. If she continues to allow this he could carry it over to other dogs, and their owners won't be so forgiving, as well as continuing the prey behavior towards your cats.

Sin and the cats were there first. Last in, First Out.
I told her my cats will put up one heck of a fight, he will end up losing an eye and one of the cats has already drew blood on his face. They have places to hide and when we are not home all dogs are crated so the cats can roam the house and the dogs are kept in our bedrooms at night as well.

I completely agree with your last sentence. If this cant be fixed then he has to go and I know that means she will go as well.

·
Registered
32,000 Posts
It absolutely CAN be fixed. It's all on the people living in the apartment on whether it WILL be fixed. This is a training issue...and a very common one.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You are setting Biff up to fail. Your cousin needs to get her ass in gear and train him.

THIS. IS. A. TRAINING. ISSUE.

Imagine he was humping you, because it will be you next. So get him off Sinister, do NILF, feed him LAST in the pack. You should not be forced to hole yourself up because of Biff. That is ridiculas.

Dogs need work, time and patience. Get to training, or get your cousin training. But an intact, male rottweiler needs boundaries- and a job!

Bet he'll start marking your house next.
She has been training him and he seems to want to learn and gets catches on quickly. He knows sit, shake, laydown, come, stay and she is working on roll over. He walks great on leash now. This humping crap showed up a couple of days ago.

They get fed seperately. He is fed in her bedroom at a completely different hour.

If he starts marking my house then he will no longer have a house.

Do you think neutering would help at all? Even just a little bit?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts