German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have now had the pleasure of watching Sasha really get to play and enjoy herself with a couple of dogs (the first one a few months ago and then just earlier this week) and I noticed that she's kinda noisy when she plays. In fact, at first I thought she was getting angry, as she was growling or making some sort of similar noise, but her body language and really even the noise itself didn't sound like she was angry, and as I watched these interactions she never showed any aggression at all. She also barked some, mostly if the other dog was ignoring her and she wanted to play chase, but that was definitely her play bark (I've heard it directed toward me a couple of times, the bossy girl lol). I was just wondering if that was normal, if it was common for GSD's to be noisy when they played. My only point of reference is my golden and he was never noisy when he played with other dogs.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I can't speak for other dogs but Sheva is, for the lack of better wording, a talker. Sort of like in the movie K-9 (Belushi) but way, way, WAY more! Of course, she can also bark a good bark, lol, too.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol yeah I know what you mean. Sasha is very vocal in all other aspects of her life, so I'm not sure why I was surprised that it transferred over to her interaction with other dogs. It just sounded...I dunno...meaner isn't the right word, because she was absoluteness not being mean, I dunno just not exactly what I expected, but then again when is anything she does what I expected hahaha!!!

BTW if that is Sheva in your avatar she is beautiful!

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
both of my GSDs have 2 volumes when playing, loud and LOUDER :)

they bark, growl, grumble, crash into things, basically sounds like WWIII when they really get going.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol I'm glad that what she's doing is normal then. The other dogs she plays with are so quiet compared to her that I just wasn't sure if it was a breed thing or a Sasha thing.

·
Super Moderator
32,036 Posts
Turn up your speakers. :D

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha, Yes!!! I swear non GSD owners just don't understand. I guess I can't blame them for being a little freaked out when Hunter is pinning their dog with his mouth around throat growling LOL!! I tell them he is a big baby and wouldn't hurt a fly, but they have a hard time believing it.
Sasha pinned a dog too! I was shocked; she's the most submissive dog when it comes to other dogs. My jaw literally dropped, but apparently all is fair in love and play lol!

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cassidy's mom: I will have to listen to that as soon as I get somewhere with a better internet connection; I'm having problems with mine and it won't let me view the video :(

·
Registered
839 Posts
Mine are very vocal when playing.

I especially like the one game they play all the time.....I call it "King of the Porch". They chase each other in the yard....and one dog always gets on the porch making sounds to the other dogs. Then it jumps off to chase the others...and another dog takes its place on the porch.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
GSDs are very vocal players. Least all the ones that i've had in my house have been. I constantly hear from other owners that their dogs are chatty when playing too.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Big body, big voice. Many GSDs are slamdown players with teeth growls and tackles. Mine will pin a dog to the ground with his mouth around their throat for 10 seconds without pressure, but holding. Some smaller dogs get freaked out if your dog is a player like this. Another GSD will just say "Bring it on Baby!!"

·
Registered
642 Posts
lol....VERY VOCAL.
my dog is even a vocal SLEEPER!! he moans and groans when he rolls over and yawns like a screech lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts