German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be in another state for three days as the maid of honor in my best friend’s wedding this weekend. My puppy, who is 16 weeks old, will be staying with my mother and stepfather while I’m gone. They know nothing about dog behavior or training, so any training they do with him is not natural for them. They rely on me 100% to explain to them how to do something, and they usually forget it quickly after.

My question for you all:
Would it be better that I tell them flat out not to do ANY training with him, including not waiting at doorways, waiting patiently for his food, etc. because they always do it wrong (repeat commands, allow him to break before released, use the wrong words) or have them do these things with him but only 50% successfully?

In general, is the wrong training worse than no training at all? I tend to think so, but is three days really going to break him?

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
I will be in another state for three days as the maid of honor in my best friend’s wedding this weekend. My puppy, who is 16 weeks old, will be staying with my mother and stepfather while I’m gone. They know nothing about dog behavior or training, so any training they do with him is not natural for them. They rely on me 100% to explain to them how to do something, and they usually forget it quickly after.

My question for you all:
Would it be better that I tell them flat out not to do ANY training with him, including not waiting at doorways, waiting patiently for his food, etc. because they always do it wrong (repeat commands, allow him to break before released, use the wrong words) or have them do these things with him but only 50% successfully?

In general, is the wrong training worse than no training at all? I tend to think so, but is three days really going to break him?
I would go with no training. It is so easy to teach the wrong things, and sometimes really difficult to undo. That said I doubt 3 days will be a catastrophe either way.
Have fun at the wedding!

·
Registered
364 Posts
I would say NO training and have them keep him away from any dogs that might give him bad habits. But definitely they should do the basics! But that’s the minimum of like, not letting him go in the house and not jumping on people.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
The thing is with us parents (or friends or siblings etc.) is that, in the end, they're gonna do what they're gonna do no matter what you tell us/them! LOL!

The good news is that even if they do things differently than you would, or are inconsistent, and or even confusing to your pup for only a few days, it will only serve to make him that much more relieved and attentive to you when you return!

So put it completely out of your mind and enjoy the wedding!

·
Super Moderator
2,959 Posts
I would tell them

"Here's the puppy, the crate, the leash, the toys and the food. Feed him at xx and xx. Put him in the crate when you aren't watching him. Take him out to potty at xx, xx and xx. Put this toy in his mouth when he bites you. Have fun. Don't lose him. "
^ My approach.

Also, I'd specify, "Do not let Puppy go near or interact with ANY other dogs".

Blame it on vaccines, make it a hard and scary-sounding rule. Regardless of whether or not it is actually true.

ETA, have a wonderful time at the wedding & congrats to your friend. :)

·
Registered
364 Posts
I would tell them

"Here's the puppy, the crate, the leash, the toys and the food. Feed him at xx and xx. Put him in the crate when you aren't watching him. Take him out to potty at xx, xx and xx. Put this toy in his mouth when he bites you. Have fun. Don't lose him. "
^ My approach.

Also, I'd specify, "Do not let Puppy go near or interact with ANY other dogs".

Blame it on vaccines, make it a hard and scary-sounding rule. Regardless of whether or not it is actually true.

ETA, have a wonderful time at the wedding & congrats to your friend. /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
Lol I love this!

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, everyone! I have told them they are not to walk him or leave the house (beside the backyard, obviously) with him at all. He has some major issues with barking at other dogs and sometimes people (no matter how far away the dog is, if he can see it, he loses his mind) and they have no idea how to appropriately respond to that or prevent him from going way past threshold. No worries about him coming into contact with strange dogs!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Better no training at all. Nothing bad will happen for this short period of time. Let your parents treat your puppy like a grandchild. If you need more recommendations, check out this please.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I agree with Jax and Backpacker. Just.Don't.Let.Anything.Bad.Happen. It's kind of like when a grandparent watches my boys. Fed, on the property at all times, and pulse when I get home.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Everything turned out fine. I did have a bit of a scare when they proudly told me that they left him loose in the house when they went out for an hour and nothing happened. Apparently there were no accidents or chewing/destroying of anything. He hasn’t ever been destructive before, but I watch him like a hawk or he’s in his crate. I told them not to do that for next time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts