German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking around for basic obedience classes for my recent adoptee, Gypsy. She is already well-behaved and I could easily just train her at home, but I wanted to work on having her focus with other dogs and distractions around. I also want a professional's advice on how I can handle her better and what we should try next after basic OB.

The issue is there is nothing I have found in our area that I could actually go to. The nearest training clubs I could find through Google were more than an hour away. I am totally willing to drive that far but it is physically impossible for me to do so on a weeknight. (Too bad because one of the trainers was a SAR coordinator for 15 years!)

Where else can I turn to for training options and how do I find out about them? Any of you Washington folks have any advice? We have a kennel club but it looks like the classes they provide are for handling in the show ring. I would rather avoid Petco if possible.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
The GSD meetup group I go has a dedicated trainer. Try going to meetup.com and search GSD groups. Sometimes for very basic stuff the local SPCA has training. Another source could be your vet or the vet techs.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
We have a GSD group and some of our members (myself included) take the opportunity to work my dog around a large group of other dogs and people. Most of the members are doing similar things (working on reactivity, focus, loose leash walking with distraction, etc..). I use the opportunity to proof my obedience and focus.. and of course to have fun! ;)

·
Registered
27,255 Posts
Another option is to contact the kennel club, GSD group or other training club that is local and see if anyone there is doing one on one or group training. There may be a few local to you, sometimes you need word of mouth and not rely on the internet or yellow pages, because few good trainers need to advertise.
I've found the trainers I use from word of mouth....wouldn't even know a few of them existed without friends referring me to them. I can't believe all the cool private training barns that are local to me....padded floors, agility equipment, and the standard competitive obedience set ups.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The GSD meetup group I go has a dedicated trainer. Try going to meetup.com and search GSD groups. Sometimes for very basic stuff the local SPCA has training. Another source could be your vet or the vet techs.
I don't know why I didn't think of the SPCA. Of course they would know! I'll ask when I go to volunteer. Meetup is also a good idea. Thanks!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts