German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy has been with me for a week, idk if he's developed separation anxiety or just plain annoying. Everytime I put him in the crate at night, (away from me of course) he unleashes all or Beethovens symphonies and gives me a hard time sleeping.

As a puppy I could say he's socialized and loved.. His crate has a 2 toys and a bed. At first the barking at night was more of whimpering, now it's more like barking. He is persistent to bark all night.. Before I put him to put I give him a good walk and I feed/give him water 3 hours before bed time.

The first day he slept in my room far away, the 2nd I put him outside, whimpered all night, 3rd and 4th were beside me, in his crate, that was the best.. But now I put him outside and I don't want to bring him back inside.

I tried leaving him, not answering his barking, maybe he will get bored, plus I did not want to let him think barking will get whatever he wants. I haven't slept well all week, and I might start getting complaints. Can anyone please help me.. This is getting serious and it's starting to affect my academic performance and health.

OH and P.S. during the day I do put him occasionally in the crate, most of the time he just sleeps. Whenever I walk in if he's not quiet I don't give him direct attention.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
My puppy has been with me for a week, idk if he's developed separation anxiety or just plain annoying. Everytime I put him in the crate at night, (away from me of course) he unleashes all or Beethovens symphonies and gives me a hard time sleeping.

I think the general consensus is to put the crate CLOSE to you at night, in your room next to your bed if possible :). He will know you are in the room and calm down much more quickly, why don't you want to continue doing that?
Stick your fingers in there at night to calm him down, etc

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Because, idk how I got my family to make them change their mindset of a dog, but they absolutely hate the fact of a dog in the house (I love it when the dog is older) its because of the urine and the expensive house stuff that they are afraid of him ruining.

They also do not like the idea of putting him in the room, I sleep in it, which is un healthy a bit, plus the room always has that dog smell. Plus it is a bedroom, made for me to sleep in not a hotel for dogs. I know y'all think differently but this is just my opinion which is not the case.

For example now , when I woke up (he was barking) took him down stairs, he ate a bit of kibble and drank some water, ate some grass and walked a bit; I put him back in his crate he did not bark, but then again he might of fell asleep lol :p

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Most of us sleep with our dogs in the bedroom. In fact, a lot of people have their dogs sleeping right in their bed.

You answered your own question: he was happiest when sleeping in your room. Dogs are pack animals and he is just a little baby. Of course he will cry when he is all alone. I know there are cultural taboos there but everyone will be much happier and get more sleep if he's sleeping in your room, next to you. :)

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Hmm well gsd is a very clingy breed, they like to be around their people and are often not comfortable being alone, but maybe he can learn.

Maybe you can section off a part of the house where he won't ruin any 'expensive stuff', and if he only goes in the crate in your room at night I don't think your room will become dirty :( I dont' let my girl in my room unless it's to go in her crate and we've had no problem with a smell; she doesn't go on my bed or get hair all over the carpet, I keep the door closed during the day.

I think moving him is the easiest solution, but you can always tough it out for awhile longer. Is his crate outside? I hope he's not just out there all alone with freedom to wander.. Hopefully you are waking up a few times in the night to let him out of the crate and into the grass to potty, he may be making a ruckus if you leave him out there ALL night and he has to go to the bathroom.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm well gsd is a very clingy breed, they like to be around their people and are often not comfortable being alone, but maybe he can learn.

Maybe you can section off a part of the house where he won't ruin any 'expensive stuff', and if he only goes in the crate in your room at night I don't think your room will become dirty :( I dont' let my girl in my room unless it's to go in her crate and we've had no problem with a smell; she doesn't go on my bed or get hair all over the carpet, I keep the door closed during the day.

I think moving him is the easiest solution, but you can always tough it out for awhile longer. Is his crate outside? I hope he's not just out there all alone with freedom to wander.. Hopefully you are waking up a few times in the night to let him out of the crate and into the grass to potty, he may be making a ruckus if you leave him out there ALL night and he has to go to the bathroom.
Well if that might be the case then why didn't he do that when he was beside me? He soiled his crate once or twice when I first got him, I cleaned it out though, I never let him eat or drink in his crate, because when he is in his crate it means I'm going to be busy.

When I am in college, I let him loose in the garden, I put his food and water in the garden, but he seems persistent enough to always go on the veranda and treat it as a potty lmao; it's not totally closed he can escape if he wanted to, but I'm not sure he will.

OF COURSE.. When he is older things would change right? Separation anxiety is reduced? He would have no problems? By that I mean relinquishing the problems he faces now

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Well if that might be the case then why didn't he do that when he was beside me? He soiled his crate once or twice when I first got him, I cleaned it out though, I never let him eat or drink in his crate, because when he is in his crate it means I'm going to be busy.

When I am in college, I let him loose in the garden, I put his food and water in the garden, but he seems persistent enough to always go on the veranda and treat it as a potty lmao; it's not totally closed he can escape if he wanted to, but I'm not sure he will.

OF COURSE.. When he is older things would change right? Separation anxiety is reduced? He would have no problems? By that I mean relinquishing the problems he faces now
Hm, the potty thing was just a suggestion, if he was good about holding it all night before he can probably hold it just fine then..

I would not let him loose in an area that he can escape, one day he will realize how interesting the world around him is and might go for a little wander lol.

I think over time and with a little work the separation anxiety will go away as long as you are consistent, but it also depends on the dog. If your dog is independent, the phase of hollering for you at night might not last too long, but if he's clingy and more dependent on you, he might take a very long time to be okay with being alone. It is good to crate him sometimes during the day like you are doing, but I think letting him eat in the crate is fine as well. A food stuffed toy, etc. He will still be able to tell that it means business, but a snack makes it so that he looks forward to you being busy sometimes :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry for the late reply, I was washing the crate, well then in that case I'm guessing when I get back I'm gonna give him a shower and give him some doggy perfume.

I like the fact that he is dependent on me in the sense that I am the alpha and the omega to him.. I would hopefully like in the future for him to be less playful with strangers and going with them when they call him.. I guess this is just the puppy phase?

My friend told me to like confine him to dark places and not play with him so he could be more aggressive in the sense that strangers would be like an exclamation point to him that there might be danger, or in the sense that he won't let a stranger pet him.

But I really don't want to do that to him; I don't want him to be aggressive, I just want him as he grows to be actually quiet but observant, and confident.. and I don't want him to be all over strangers, in fact if he sees one, he should just be "prepared". that.. I still do not know how to train him for when he is older, if anyone knows it would be much obliged.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Yikes I would ignore that friends advice. Do not confine him to dark places to make him fearful. As your puppy grows up he will most likely stop wanting to interact so much with strangers. Mine used to run up to every person for pets...she is not even six months old yet and she already just kind of ignores strangers now and would rather just walk by. When she was a baby I let her interact with lots of the strangers, but she definitely grew out of it. Still likes strangers but only if I tell her to go say hi :)
There are a lot of great threads about training here. Keep it simple for now and just play and bond. Hope you get some sleep soon lol

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Sorry for the late reply, I was washing the crate, well then in that case I'm guessing when I get back I'm gonna give him a shower and give him some doggy perfume.

I like the fact that he is dependent on me in the sense that I am the alpha and the omega to him.. I would hopefully like in the future for him to be less playful with strangers and going with them when they call him.. I guess this is just the puppy phase?

My friend told me to like confine him to dark places and not play with him so he could be more aggressive in the sense that strangers would be like an exclamation point to him that there might be danger, or in the sense that he won't let a stranger pet him.

But I really don't want to do that to him; I don't want him to be aggressive, I just want him as he grows to be actually quiet but observant, and confident.. and I don't want him to be all over strangers, in fact if he sees one, he should just be "prepared". that.. I still do not know how to train him for when he is older, if anyone knows it would be much obliged.

I understand its not the norm but having him crated in your room with you will very likely help him not cry so much. He's a baby. They are born into a litter and that's all they know the first few weeks of life. They don't understand why they are taken away from their family and then shut in a box left to sleep essentially alone. With supervision during the day, you can keep him out of trouble and not messing up anything expensive.

As for not wanting him to be aggressive, that's good. If his temperament is right how it should be, he'll mature and develop the typical GSD aloof attitude towards strangers. He'll be neutral. Socialize him with appropriate people and situations and in doing so, it helps him grow into a strong confident dog that can alert to a potentially problematic person or situation.

My 10 week old pup LOVES people. He turns all wiggly and excited. As he gets older and more mature, that will likely stop and he'll accept strangers but not seek them out. I hope that makes sense and helps you some.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I too was worried about doggy smell taking over my house. That is why it took me over 5 years to finally get a dog. Unless, puppy rolls around in something stinky, then usually don't smell. Will smell when wet. Worried about dog hair every where too. Had to let it go. I have hair (my own) that falls out, but not at the rate of a GSD. Look at benefits. Can be good for family bonding. When older, puppy can bark to let you know a stranger is at house. Right now puppy so cute no one can resist. But when about 9 months, puppy will be bigger and look scary to some people.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
If you keep your dog clean and brushed, keep her out of, or away from smelly crap in the yard, and keep your house clean I see no reason why your house would smell like dog.

I have occasionally asked visitors if they smell dog upon entering my house and I'm told 'no'. It smells like a clean house.

And that's because I keep it clean and I keep my dog clean.

·
Registered
874 Posts
LOL I have a cat's litter box in my bedroom ...I keep it clean but I'm sure that people would think that's unhealthy. This society today needs to take some chances and get their immune system back. I'm as healthy as a horse..have very clear lungs and do better at 50 than a lot of people half my age do. My mom is celebrating her 90th birthday this year and we have had animals all my life. We even had squirrels living in the house with us at one point and I had baby rabbits I raised when the mom was killed.
We like animals more than we like most people. I can't imagine having a great pet like a GSD and having it outside. And I'm kind of wondering if your neighbors are happy with you if your dog barks out there all night. It's great that you are getting some sleep...but are they? You have to be responsible.

·
Registered
874 Posts
my house probably does smell like "pets". It's not a urine or nasty smell but having pets does actually create a calming effect for some people. I am also betting that my house is 99% cleaner than most people's houses without pets.

·
Registered
40 Posts
it all depends on what you want him to do in the future. if you plan to sleep with him the move the crate to your room; but if you don't, then for his sake, let him cry and bark. he will learn that with that behavior he's getting nowhere. i know it's hard but believe me, it works. my puppy used to do the same, until she learned that being quite and sleeping was her best choice. also, i suggest you to pick the place where his crate's gonna be already. moving the crate from one place to another makes his situation unstable and therefore, his behavior. it will get better.

·
Super Moderator
32,540 Posts
Most of us sleep with our dogs in the bedroom. In fact, a lot of people have their dogs sleeping right in their bed.

You answered your own question: he was happiest when sleeping in your room. Dogs are pack animals and he is just a little baby. Of course he will cry when he is all alone. I know there are cultural taboos there but everyone will be much happier and get more sleep if he's sleeping in your room, next to you. :)
^ What she said, the solution was in your very first post -you and he both slept better when he was in the same room with you rather than isolated from you. He's not going to pee in the house if he's properly confined or supervised until he's housebroken, and the same goes for destroying expensive things in the house, so those are easy fixes too.

Please do not leave him alone in an area that's not totally secure. If he CAN escape, he WILL escape. Someone could also take him.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts