German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our almost 6 mo old male will not let anyone touch him except me, my husband and 2 kids. No one. We got him when he was 4 mos and think he only knew 2 adults and 12 dogs. He bites if anyone tries. Neither of our other GSDs ever acted like this, so we are unsure. Training with each person that comes over isn't going to happen (because they don't have time), but luckily our babysitter is willing. What do we do? He is learning to ignore people in public, as we take him EVERYWHERE we can.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Great, you are socializing him by taking him everywhere you can and you are training him to ignore people in public. That is wonderful and he is still young and there is a fear period that many pups experience at around 5 months. So, I would keep up with what you are doing and I would be working on his sit/stay , down/stay and heeling, so that when other people approach, he can quietly wait by your side while you visit. I would just say if someone wants to pet him, that he is in training. It is possible he may improve then again he may always be very reserved around other people that are not his family.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
I think you need the help of an experienced trainer/behaviorist. You could easily end up reinforcing the wrong behavior.
Sheilah

1 - 3 of 3 Posts