German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So, I have had my offer accepted on a short sale, but we likely won't close in time to move in before our current lease is up. So.... we've been looking at places to rent.

1 out of 25 places will allow a German Shepherd. Now keep in mind at this point those are mainly apartment complexes. We are also looking for a month to month or short term lease, so that doesn't help. but seriously, only 1 of 25 places will take a GSD???

Looks like I might be camping for a few months haha

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Hang in there I know a couple that couldn't find any one to rent to them because they have 2 pittbulls, they found a place with a nice fenced in yard .

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Carolyn. We're still looking and hoping for the best. At least we found the 1 place... lol

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Have you contacted the owner of the house you're buying to see if he/she will allow you to rent the house until you go to closing.

If that doesn't work, would your current landlord let you stay where you are on a month-to-month lease until you can go to closing?

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
We were in the exact same boat! We had a heck of a time finding a short-term rental while we build our house this summer... especially one that would take a GSD. We ended up buying an RV... we figured once we sold it, whatever loss we'd take would still probably be less than what we would have paid in rent for the summer (especially because summer rentals are thousands of dollars a month in our area).

I'm not psyched about being in close quarters with hubby, but I'm starting to see it as a grand adventure overall :cool:

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
Here is why...

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/aggression-good-bad-ugly/251721-my-german-shepherd-bit-small-dog-randomly-4.html

I live in Milwaukee and there are enough options for us that involve apartment complexes. I'm from the Chicago area but sadly that was sans dog so I can't help you with much. I think your biggest issue is asking for a short term lease...those are a pain to deal with and private owners probably don't want to deal with you for a 2 month period and then have to fix whatever you break and repair any damage your dog leaves just to start looking for a new renter.

How come your current place won't let you stay another month or two? I know ours would've...be it at an increased rental fee, but it would've been worth it for a month or two rather than moving and signing another lease.

Not sure if this is possible but opening up your search area might help a little. If you can live on the outskirts of the city, or even in the burbs you probably have a better shot of finding a place.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi all,

Our current landlords sold the place, and the move in/closing date is firm. So, unfortunately going month to month with them isn't an option.

The place we are buying won't work either becuase the seller is a bitter/angry man who is dragging his feet on this as much as possible.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Hi all,

Our current landlords sold the place, and the move in/closing date is firm. So, unfortunately going month to month with them isn't an option.

The place we are buying won't work either becuase the seller is a bitter/angry man who is dragging his feet on this as much as possible.

Well camping can be nice then:D

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do love camping :)

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I do love camping :)
Starved Rock, Chain of Lakes, even Jellystone is nice. Some have 2 week limits, so you might move around some:rolleyes: The summer I turned 18 I camped the whole summer, it was nice.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Have you tried using a realtor? I've lucked out and found my last two short term dog friendly rental houses through a realtor. I have a permanent address, but I also frequently have to move to work on a project for a few months or for an indefinite period, so I am always looking for a place that will accept my three dogs and a short term lease that can month to month after a few months. Living in hotels with the dogs can get tiresome!

Also, idk where you are but are there any vacation rentals close enough to work... Say lake cabins or such?

And if you do continue your search alone, don't give up with what they say in the Internet ad. Call and chat them up. You'll be surprised what people will negotiate.

But using a realtor really has worked best for us. Good luck!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
95 Posts
I know it's kinda scary but you can always look on Craigslist for a mobile home. I found one for my sister that is moving from AK with her GSD for a couple mths till they get a house.. Just a thought!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
907 Posts
I was also going to say a mobile/trail park home as well! My co-worker doesn't have a dog, but she had to find a new place to live quickly as well. She found her current trail park home and pays $450/month. She can buy it if she wants to as well. I have seen the newer ones here in FL, that are fenced in as well for those who have dogs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts