German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha, every one, How long should a "quiet" command last? For example, Rasa will keep quiet after I tell her to for awhile until the next barkable event. In this case we have a lot of ferro cats crossing our lot in the evening every 1/2 hour or so. So the command is good only until Rasa picks up the scent of another cat. Should I expect a longer quiet or too much to ask?

Frank

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
After a while, she may not bother barking at the cats. My rescue used to bark at everything, but now only barks at certain things.

Expecting the quiet command to last half an hour, is a lot, in my opinion.

What has helped me to get my dog to not bark as much was to try and catch her BEFORE she started barking and to quiet her, and to praise her lavishly for being quiet.

For example, during the quiet training phase, I would watch her closely for signs that something has caught her attention. It might be something subtle, like her eyes openeing wider, her ears twitchng, her lips quivering, a very low almost undetectable growl. The signs may be different for your Rasa, by observing her closely you will pick up on them. I would say "Quiet!!!" even before she started barking, and would immediatly praise her heavily. I would also distract her with a toy or activity, (Like just calling her to me for pets). It took weeks, but that is the traning part, but the e;nd result was a HUGE improvement. She will bark some at noises, mostly other dogs in the neighbourhood barking, but some barking I allow. Constant barking I could not deal with.

Hope this will help!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts