German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 6 year old GSD from a breeder who does a lot of breeding and training for Schutzhund dogs. Her name is Capri and her father is Kevin vom Murrtal SchH3, apparently he has won a lot of awards.

Anyway, this breeder purchased her years ago with the intent of breeding her, but she was unable to conceive, and so he wanted to sell her (that's what he told me anyway). She has had a lot of training, and she listens pretty well. She knows only German so I have learned those words. I take her for a walk at least every night and more on the weekends. She heels (Fuss) well and does other things that I ask.

I had her for a week and last weekend we had some guests over for the first time. After we let in the guests and they had been there for a while, the male friend got up and walked towards me to give me something. As soon as they stood up, she stood up (which she seems to do whenever anyone stands up), however, when they were leaning over to hand me the item, she nipped at their leg. I guess my question is, do you think she was being protective, or is this something else. And in either case, is this something I need to worry about?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
sounds like a fearish response and lack of early socializing..........i don't think its a protective thing i think nipping comes from being fearish and unsure..........i would try to keep her out of situations that you know she will do this, because the more she does it the more it becomes a behavior...........weaker nerved dogs will also nip if they get unsure.............i would leash her when company comes etc, and back up with socialization........she needs to learn people are not a threat...........its not unusual for GSD'S to nip because of the herding instinct, but your case sounds like she is acting out of being unsure............alot of weaker nerved dogs will also nip people as they get up to leave and nip them from behind............
probably using the leash and food rewards and praise when someone approaches might work well,............if not you might want to hire a private trainer to give you tips.......

1 - 2 of 2 Posts