German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
GSD SL, female, born 7/29/20
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Walking my 20 month old GSD this morning - came up on a pair of West Highland Terriers, and my dog leaned in for a greet/sniff as per usual. I guess one of the terriers got spooked and nipped at her nose. I was proud of my dog, the way she responded with a series of rapid barks that basically said in dog - wth I was just saying hello. But was proud that she never threatened any harm after getting injured in what's probably a pretty sensitive spot. The owner was aplogetic and at the time I said no problem, but my eyesight isn't (wasn't) good enough to see that there was actual damage, since it didn't bleed. So now she's got this which I'm afraid will scar. Happy to get feedback from anyone on what happened and what do do from here. When I got home I washed the wound and put some polysporin on it. She seems fine for but maybe going forward she won't be so trusting around small white dogs.
Dog Comfort Textile Mammal Carnivore

·
Super Moderator
9,116 Posts
Good girl for telling the little guys off without snapping back:) Terriers are fierce little beasts and "gameness" is a breed standard for many of them. Now you know. They reside so far below our eye level it's hard to see their warning signs before they go on the offensive. It's a good idea to keep your distance and not allow greetings with unknown dogs to avoid a repeat.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I put Cortisone on Jake's stitches to keep them from itching. I would put some vasaline on it if you can find it. Or some A&D ointment, just something to keep it moisturized and help it heal.
yeah, always avoid the little white dogs, there is a reason most other dogs don't like them. Good Girl!!!!! extra cookies, for sure.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Don't let your dog do meet 'n greets imo. It's only a matter of time until you get growling/snapping/dog fights, especially with little dog syndrome. If your dog snaps back, it's the big bad GSD that will be blamed.

A well behaved GSD where you can just breeze on by while smiling and saying "hi" is the goal.

·
Registered
Krypto, Hiro and now Bernie who is a Golden Saint rescue
228 Posts
Little white dogs, the scourge of the canine world. Bernie dunna like them either, but then again, there are not many he does like, I can count the number of dogs he calls pack on one hand. But he found another friend on yesterday's walk. Apparently, the owner of a huge lab had let him go, and of course, I see him from 200 meters, running full blast for us. We were just waiting on the corner, Bernie in the sit position, and me expecting the worst. I let Bernie stand, but he was relaxed for some odd reason. A street dog frenemy was with us, as usual, looking for treats and being our frontman. She was growling, but she's just a little brown mutt. The lab ran right up wagging his tail, he was a goof, and he touched noses with Bernie and there was no problem. I was shocked. What a good boy. First time for everything. Now Bernie has maybe 6 dog pals he won't try to kill on sight. But before we even got home, he spotted a little white dog on a leash off in the distance and his instinct got the better of him, and he lunged. Perhaps Bernie just knows something we don't about little white dogs. (My apologies to anyone that has a little white dog, it's racist and unfair, but it is what it is).

·
Premium Member
GSD SL, female, born 7/29/20
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update - the wound seems like it healed well....now just wondering if the pink will remain or if her nose will go back to being all black again?
Dog Cabinetry Carnivore Dog breed Drawer

·
Registered
Krypto, Hiro and now Bernie who is a Golden Saint rescue
228 Posts
Well I'm just spitballing here based on the scars from the street dogs of Nepal, and my theory is it should turn to a gray and be less noticeable over time, but dogs here display old war wounds for a very long time. However, I have not studied the noses of all the street dogs I've photographed, but maybe the dog's nose has super healing powers, as many street dog noses look perfect, while the rest of their body may be in shambles. For example, take Sparky (I make up names for the street dogs, and even makeup breeds based on a taxonomy that I am developing, as well as keeping a loose history on the dog). He's got a perfect nose, but scars everywhere else! Hard to imagine Sparky has not been bit on the nose, as he fights with anything that moves, including motorbikes and cars.
Dog Eye Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog

1 - 8 of 8 Posts