German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our puppy is just over nine months old, and we find her chewing/tearing up the plastic tray at the bottom of her crate when left in there too long. We are almost certain it’s boredom. We leave her out as much as we can in the evenings and on weekends, but have to crate her while we are at work (though I work close enough to come home for lunch every day and let her out) - which is when most of the destruction seems to be happening. We’ve tried three different kinds of deterrent sprays on the section of crate she chew(bitter apple, bitter cherry, and peppermint), but she seems unfazed by them. We try putting toys in the crate with her so she can entertain herself, but that doesn’t seem to do much either. Any advice? She only likes to sleep in the crate, so when we put her inside for an hour or two for a nap she’s fine - it’s the extended periods of time that are problematic for her/us.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Have you tried soap... Not sure what to recommend but wipe it down with a bar of ivory. I always wiped a little hot sauce on chair legs if needed. I don't know about the entire bottom of a crate though...

Trying to tire her out will help of corse.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah I think you're right that it's boredom. Is she getting walks everyday to tire her out? Exercise sure helps my boy. And then during the times you come home to let her out or in the evenings or whenever you have the chance, maybe try teaching her new tricks or work on obedience. Tiring out their mind it just as important as tiring out their bodies.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Boredom,my GSDs,5 so far have never been crated past 8 months old. Proper exercise and a lot of it (running,swimming,fetch) (not walking) will go a long way towards curing this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts