German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mom just informed me that between all the people living next door, there are NINE dogs. I'm outraged.
I know that they own a dingo, Cali. She is a sweetheart and I would absolutely adopt her in a minute, I know my family would too. There is a rotti, Tank, who I actually haven't seen there in months but I can hear him.. Then theres a poodle mix thingy and her son, half pomeranian, Rowdy. (those puppies were sooooooo cute!)
Yesterday I was coming home from our nightly walk and ran into one of the crackspots living there who I have never seen before. CLEARLY the woman is on speed. so gross, anyways she has a little malti-poo (I think) about the same age as vida that isn't socialized in the slightest bit. It's name is Diesel. I haven't seen the other dogs. I've been told they have a rat-like dog with no hair or it's shaved. CC maybe? I constantly hear the dogs getting into fights and not just fights like BAD fights. This breaks my heart.
The 'original' people who actually live there legit. are keeping their space. I expected them to come over and ask to see Vida but they barely have really. I know that they don't like showing themselves drugged up to people too. I miss their dogs though. I'd go over and ask if Vida could play with Cali but theres too many people and too many dogs probably w/o shots.

The traffic that comes in/out of that house is insane. I have come to a conclusion that it is now a full-blown crack house with about two sober people trafficing drugs out of it. Living here for my entire life, I'm used to this stuff. But it's a different story when you have dogs and feel like they MIGHT be in danger when you leave the house. I might have to start closing the sliding door before I leave now.. bah. This is definetly to the point where I'm scared that somebody will burn their house down or shoot it up and my animals will somehow get hurt in the process.
Still... 9 dogs.. I'd love to know what the city thinks about it. I know undercover cops watch the house but they wouldn't do anything. I hope that one lady with the puppies moves out.
The last thing they need is little mutts romping around, ah!

We have contacted the city about the number of vehicles in their driveway. Our driveway is ruined because of the big trucks that used to go in and out and while I feel bad about employment issues they may have with not having the trucks.. this is a neighbourhood. There are A LOT of young kids that live near the bottom of the street and a lot of not so nice dogs that get loose.

Would you guys contact the cops or the city about possible drug trafficing and the amount of dogs living there? I think the dogs have a better home there in comparison to the SPCA.. but it's really not fair to the 4 dogs who were there first.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Some places, like where I live, have no limit on the number of dogs. My friend, a breeder, has 8 dogs not including puppies that may be looking for a home.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Look into the local laws. I live three houses over the true city line, which is nice because I don't have to pay the city taxes and did not have to apply for a permit to put up my fence, but we do have a three dog, three cat limit (city itself has no limit).

·
Registered
654 Posts
Kaity, if this is in Surrey then you may indeed want to check out the bylaws, as I do think it is a 2 dog limit.

Actually, here is a link:
City of Surrey

It's a tough situation to be in, but if the welfare of the dogs and your community is worrisome....

·
Registered
11 Posts
becareful though ya never know what a drug addict will do !!!!

·
Registered
31,836 Posts
First make sure they are breaking a law. I have ten dogs and none are neglected or abused, and they have only me. There is no limit law where I am.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
When I fostered Hawkeye,he had come from another foster with at least a dozen dogs(8 were their own). They lived in a 1000 sf house with a small back yard. The city has no ordinance on limits. The neighbors called the police on them all the time, now the city is reviewing their law.
I am surprised the SPCA would allow them to foster so many for the size of the property. And they were mostly large breeds,
4 greyhounds, 2 great pyrr, and mixed breeds...only 2 were under 20#'s. I think the got in over their heads quickly.
It was cool, though, when I went to get Hawkeye, they were all really well behaved and the pack dynamic was peaceful, especially with fosters coming and going.
They are now down to 6 dogs, & can't afford to feed them because they no longer foster(donated kibble from the rescue no longer available).
I wouldn't judge numbers unless you know there is neglect or abuse going on.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Check local laws. My Mom has 7 dogs and about 9 cats, her area has no animal limit, as long as they are well taken care of and have space (she has over 100's of acres). They all get along fine and know their pack order. The other rural neighbours like that my Mom has such large dogs, as they are out 99% of the day, they keep bears and other wild animals away!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jane, I`m not trying to judge numbers. The situation there that I know of bugs me. How are you supposed to take care of a dog, let alone 9, when you`re high on ice.
If they have been evicted multiple times and never left, and none of them have legit jobs, how are you supposed to take proper care of the dogs
keep in mind that this is a smaller house, with a smaller yard.
They are already breaking the law by having more than 2 dogs. Usually the city doesn`t care if people are over the limit as long as the dogs are taken care of properly and aren`t causing a disturbance.
The girl with the 5 smaller dogs is apparently moving out. Hopefully when and if she does, it will take the stress off of the other dogs.. and stop so many people from being there all the time!

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Then the problem isn't how many, but the people who "care" for them. My post wasn't to you, but in general...numbers are just that, it is the care of the animals that is important.
Poor dogs.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Few questions.
Are the dogs underweight?
Are they looking diseased?
Are they obviously injured?
Are they living in filth that can cause severe health problems?
Have you seen these dogfights?

How can you KNOW these are drug dealers? I have had several friends accused of dealing by neighbors because they have between 5-12 people coming a day and leaving at all hours.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Originally Posted By: KaitykaityJane, I`m not trying to judge numbers. The situation there that I know of bugs me. How are you supposed to take care of a dog, let alone 9, when you`re high on ice.
If they have been evicted multiple times and never left, and none of them have legit jobs, how are you supposed to take proper care of the dogs
keep in mind that this is a smaller house, with a smaller yard.
They are already breaking the law by having more than 2 dogs. Usually the city doesn`t care if people are over the limit as long as the dogs are taken care of properly and aren`t causing a disturbance.
The girl with the 5 smaller dogs is apparently moving out. Hopefully when and if she does, it will take the stress off of the other dogs.. and stop so many people from being there all the time!
Have you seen her do drugs?
I am skinny & people have asked my friends behind my back if I smoked crack!!!!

Are the dogs poorly cared for?
Skinny?
Flea ridden?
Just bc she has 9 doesnt mean they arent taken care of...

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are the dogs underweight? The larger dogs look like they could use a bit more food. I don't really notice the small ones.
Are they looking diseased? no
Are they obviously injured? don't know because I haven't seen them up close lately
Are they living in filth that can cause severe health problems? They are living in a shed, with people who smoke meth. Whether the dogs are in there for that or not, I don't know. I hope not.
Have you seen these dogfights? Yep. Just saw one about an hour ago!

They have openly talked about their drug use. It's not hard to figure out when they are 40 and look 80, in and out of jail, can't hold a job, see them prostituting, watching them find and sell any metal they can, asking us (non-smokers) for smoke, or money for smokes, loose weight quickly, have sores all over and the way they act. They don't come around outside when I am outside, they scurry inside. They have stolen from us MANY times. Some things as obvious as a volleyball, then seeing it in their yard and the empty package still sitting under our deck.
Don't know if the dogs have fleas or not. I saw a few of the lady who now comes and goes with them, and I don't know if it's just the breed or what... but it looks really raggity. However, the mobile dog groomers came a few weeks ago on welfare Wednesday! Good to know the poodlepoms are getting pampered!
Seriously, sometimes I say to myself to just leave it. I'm not really a nosey neighbour and don't want to cause problems. I'm kinda worried that one of their little dogs or the other girls little dogs will get off the leash and run into my yard after my puppy. A 40 pound puppy can easily cause harm without meaning to.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ugh. I feel like crap now but..
I entirely FORGOT that Surrey law requires a 6ft fence for rottis. They would remove Tank immediately, and probably euthenize him because lately he's a totally different dog. Veryyyyyyyyyy mean compared to when they 'rescued' him.
I just talked to my mom about regulations against GSDs in my area and apparently, (I'll have to double check..) gsds aren't deemed 'vicious'.
I wish the limit here WAS 4 dogs. Or even 3. We would adopt their dingo in a split second, hands down.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I lived with a roommate's dingo for a few years, and if she's any indication of the typical, I can't recommend it. Crazed with a capital C.
Wish my neighborhood crack house housed too many dogs instead of too many kids. Don't know about your area, but the law is useless here, and the concern of retaliation is enough to keep me quiet. I assume cops are on a payroll, or just don't want to be bothered with it.
Anyway, addiction is a social problem, not necessarily a criminal one. And the law can do little to impact the problem. The addicts are making poor choices, really tragic that children & pets have to be involved.
Sorry you have those neighbors.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Neighbours dingo is amazing. No aggression whatsoever, towards any dog. Not even mine. Children are an entire different story when they have to live in those conditions, there have been a few houses down my street like that, now some of the kids have grown up following the path of their moms/dads.
I am too worried about any retaliation. They already suspect my dad calling the city on their big rigs.. but 3 years of waking up at 4am to a truck engine is ENOUGH. Houses on this street especially, are not selling compared to others in area. I suspect it has to do with the neighbours or people across the street, the dogs (a lot of barking goes down here) sirens, etc.
I actually didn't do it properly when I went to write a concern about them, because I didn't provide their address. I checked google maps but you can't really see the address anyways because of bushes. I love how the city will not come check it out without an exact address.
You know, when I was younger I didn't understand the law. I thought it I would grow older and understand it better but.. no avail.
Perhaps in a few more years

1 - 18 of 18 Posts