German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my boy in to get rabies, Continuum and lepto shots today. Three months ago he weighed 86 lbs, now he weighs 80 lbs. The vet thought he looked very good. I am mildly concerned about the weight loss.

She also noted that his heartbeat is slower than any GSD she has seen. She attributed this to his athleticism. But who knows, right?

I'm planning on taking him back for another weigh-in in a couple months to make sure he's not dropping more weight. He is still getting his regular exercise as always (6 quick miles in AM which is about 90 minutes, 30 min off-leash play at lunch, and another 60 min walk or off-leash play in the evening).

So do you guys think he's just getting lots of good exercise, or are there other signs I need to look out for? He eats everything we give him and always wants more, has good poops most of the time, he might have a runny poo once a week.

·
Super Moderator
32,801 Posts
How does he look? Is he actually looking skinny or does he look good at that weight? Keefer's ideal weight is exactly 80 pounds, but he's sometimes a pound or two on either side of that, usually between 78/79 and 82/83. Six pounds seems like a lot, but if he's been eating the same amount of food and getting more exercise that might account for some weight loss, especially if everything else seems normal - energy level, appetite, coat, stools, etc.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Humm, well it does seem that he gets pleanty of exercise! I know I'm not as knowledgable as others, but is it possible that he had a little growth spurt? I see in your signature you have a GSD born in 6/09. He might still be growing and suddenly burned more calories in the process?

Try not to worry even though I'm sure you are ;) . He is a VERY active dog, I don't think most people are able to exercise their dogs that much and if exercise amounts determine heartbeat, then that would be a valid point by the vet.

Good luck. Let us know about his next weigh-in!

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The vet thought he looked about perfect for his breed, and I have to take her word for it since I don't have much experience with dogs. I can feel ribs, but not see them.

His exercise hasn't increased since spring and he's getting the same amount of food, but we switched from California Naturals to Evo since he was last weighed. DH did the calorie calculation to determine how much to feed him.

Here's a pic from earlier in the week.
[/IMG]

If his growth plates are very nearly closed (seen on x-ray three months ago when we had his hips checked, just for our own info not OFA), can he still experience a growth spurt?

Should I also assume that he's just about reached his adult weight?

I'm such a nervous mommy, I know. Unexplained weight loss really freaks me out though.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
from the picture he looks pretty darn good. The 6 lbs could be the switch in food and all the exercise he's getting, his metabolism is really high from the sounds of things so that could explain the weight loss as well. I would suggest increasing his food by about 1/2 cup - 1 cup a day and see if that does anything. From that picture though, he's in excellent condition. His body may just be burning off the weight as it sounds like he's solid muscle without an ounce of fat on him lol.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Stark lost 5lbs in 2 months.

He was 84lbs in June and when I had him weighed in August he was only 79lbs.

I contribute this to lots of swimming, running and training that happens in the summer months.

I have even increased his meals from 2lbs to 3.5lbs per day (raw fed). He hasn't gained an ounce yet. He is maintaining his 79lbs for almost 2 months now. I have a feeling he will gain a few back this winter though, but who knows.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Rocco has a really low heartrate. Which the vet said was good unless he was pre...Addisonian I think he said, but he was just :poke: at me. :) Evo is a lot higher in protein, and CA Naturals has a lot of grain, so it may have an Atkins type impact on his weight, would be my guess.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rocco has a really low heartrate. Which the vet said was good unless he was pre...Addisonian I think he said, but he was just :poke: at me. :) Evo is a lot higher in protein, and CA Naturals has a lot of grain, so it may have an Atkins type impact on his weight, would be my guess.

Crazy, Atkins huh? And I thought it was just a simple matter of calories in versus calories burned. Hmmm....

Has anyone else's vet said their GSD had a low heart rate for the breed? And if so, do they get lots of exercise? Does Rocco get a ton of exercise?

Honestly, if he's in such great shape, shouldn't I be??? I'm gonna start eating Evo.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
That's just a theory! But would kind of make sense no? I see dogs on really carby food and they have that puffiness, put them on a higher protein and they slim right down.

Rocco runs a lot. Even when he's not moving, he moves...

I wish they DID have human kibble!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.