German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys. Been away for a while. Changed jobs and moved to a place that has lots of open space. Issue is that we are midst summer so night time we have temps and humidity as mentioned in the subject. I am walking Rex about 15 minutes or so at a normal walking space. He pants and paces himself. But I get worried. Is there a “heat stroke” danger if at night and walking leisurely? What are the limits there in your experience. Many thanks for your input.

·
Super Moderator
8,677 Posts
When I lived in areas that exceeded 100 degrees, my dogs activity levels decreased significantly and the needs for walks were fewer - don’t feel required to walk your dog in extreme temps. Granted, dogs acclimate to the environments that they live in so 100° to Rex will be tolerated differently than my dogs who are used to 50-80° at any point in a year.

I utilized early morning and night walks, visited pet friendly warehouse stores with a/c, I also offered kiddie pools for them so soak their feet and belly’s.... many friends also had pools for days that I wasn’t able to make it to the ocean for a swim.

It’s a season and a half, I’ve always found it to be manageable.

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
We’ve shut down evening walks, the asphalt and concrete just soak up too much heat, and you can feel the heat coming up at you. We found early morning to be the best time. Everything is a lot cooler in the morning than any other part of the day. We stopped agility all together. More inside games and pool swimming. It’s currently 114 with 56% humidity, and pretty much stays that way until well past dark.

Their activity levels do drop so much during the summer, it actually gives me a break. Normally Crios and Lyka go nuts when they hear me getting down collars and leashes, and it takes 10 minutes for them to settle before I’ll even attempt to collar and leash them. Right now I could have a leash parade back and forth in front of them, and they would barely lift their heads from the cool tile. lol

I wouldn’t chance a night walk. Early morning is best. Before the sun rises.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I second those saying that's too hot. I spent 3 mos.(sans dogs) in Ocotillo, CA and the only time I saw people out with or without dogs was early morning.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Jupiter and I walk around 8 PM, when it's just under 100. The pavement is fine, but the air is damned hot. Not like when the sun's out, though. I look for grassy areas and don't push the pace. I give him water and let him splash in any puddles, but I'm not sure if it's enough.

The low temps here in Phoenix are around 88 right now. By 5:30, it's already getting near 90. Rough time of year.

Misting can drop temperature by around 30 degrees, so maybe that would help.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I live in Southern Florida near the Everglades. Summer is obnoxious here. I do early morning and late evening walks. Activity and outside time is limited during the day and fresh water is always available.

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
There has been a heat wave here for weeks. Summer nights that have been cool have not. The pavement is not hot at night but there was no night breeze. Humidity lingers. The difference though the sun does not blare down on you and cook you. Even in wAter you have to be careful to over do it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
We don't push either dog in the heat, they stay pretty active despite the 100+ degree we are currently feeling and to boot our AC went out this weekend so they couldn't even cool off inside. We just provide lots of water to play in and to drink. Lots of frozen or cold treats to help cool them down and we limit activity. If they wanna run around they will, but in the heat we don't walk them.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Yeah, too hot and that humidity really zaps them IMO! Moo ( non GSD ) is old but wants to go on walks/car rides. We do early morning, and if it's getting toward 80 we stay in the shady grass and trees of the park. It's a slow walk anyway, it's just mainly for his enjoyment with a little exercise for him. But I can tell the humidity gets too him so it's a very slow short walk!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I live somewhere that hitting 100 is fairly normal. My girl plays like crazy every morning, lunchtime she will immediately move to the shade and sit, as she hates the direct sun. We usually sit for about an hour and she is never bothered. Evenings we take a long leisurely walk and I have never had a problem.

Right now it is cool and she is so much happier. Like going into puppy mode again.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all for the feedback. I have also read other threads on this.

Here is what I did tonight. It was 95 degrees and 60% humidity.

I do have the Glacier Tek for Rex. So I had him wear it indoor for like 20 minutes to have a headstart so to speak.

I have like a green field next to the house. Took him out and took with me a large bowl and lots of water.

We played for 20 minutes. Moderate pace with me chasing him and him chasing me. Water breaks. I was monitoring him well. It was clear that the Glacier Tek made a difference as it took him double the amount of time to start panting. We went back inside, kept the vest and the AC. He cooled down relatively quick. He looked very comfortable thoughout.

I did the same at 6 am today. Temp was a bit lower.

I think we could keep that pace and mody operandi to give him some exercise.. He was very happy today :)

Thank you all for your input!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts