German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kind of a silly question

Does the "efficiency" of dog night vision vary from breed to breed? I have not logical reasion for wanting to know, just curious and somewhat jealous that I don't have night vision too.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Good question. I have wondered, also. I would think that the breeds do have differences...probably the number of rods per mm in the retina would be the answer. Cones provide color, rods are B&W but more sensitive. I believe dogs can see some colors such as purple but a fraction of our colorized world. Hopefully, someone knows...

·
Registered
815 Posts
I bet there probably is not much variation among breeds, as I don't believe I've ever heard of any specific breeds that are used for purposes that would require seeing extra well at night. Even coonhounds, which are used to hunt raccoons at night, use their sense of smell to locate them. A dog's nose is more useful to a dog than their eyes even in the daytime. Plus I don't think I ever came across a dog whose eyes didn't have that reflective layer that shines in a camera flash, which is necessary for good night vision.

Wonder how you would test night vision?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts