German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
You should get some blue dogs, they don't show up so easy at night.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
We night train for search and rescue. Tygo loves it, cooler, scent conditions usually much better, and he apparently sees just as well. I have to move more slowly or I'll kill myself tripping over stuff out there. No pictures as Tygo is a very dark brindle. Would look like your photos.

·
Banned
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We night train for search and rescue. Tygo loves it, cooler, scent conditions usually much better, and he apparently sees just as well. I have to move more slowly or I'll kill myself tripping over stuff out there. No pictures as Tygo is a very dark brindle. Would look like your photos.
You are absolutely correct. Big difference between day and night both for handler(s) & dog(s). Be safe and enjoy.

You don't think those are good pictures? LOL j/k

I decided that today I am learning about night photography, I want to get it right. I'm sure there's a video or 6 or 8 that can teach me the basics.

I wish I was in Lake Tahoe heard it's really nice.

Anyway thanks for sharing your experience with your dog!

Tail Wags! :grin2:

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
somewhat different in nature, my guide dogs are worked at night for handlers who frequently do evening or night travel. for the most part the dogs do fine in the conditions however with changes in atmosphere, traffic patterns or even vision for clients with residual vision - I'm more so helping the dog with the transition of a typically more hesitant handler, orientation challenges, as well as those who are more or less able visually at night. all commands and gestures remain the same.

for my personal dogs, the only difference is night hikes - I have a tsst sound that I make for them to stick closer.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Ductchkarin do you have an illuminated collar or shabrack your dog wears? He is air scent, correct? As a trailer, my dogs harness has reflective piping and of course a headlamp for me.. But I find that isn't enough to avoid the tangles that occur in dense brush (happens anyway, but then you can see where the snag is, lol).. I may put a light somewhere on her but I don't want to affect her night vision..

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
When I was working at night with my black dog in SAR he wore a goo-collar that said RESCUE on it, and would also wear a bell. He was impossible to see at night. LOL. Some of my teammates used glo-sticks attached to the search vest top as well. We never had an issue with it affecting their vision.

In fact, I found dogs worked better late at night as opposed to "just before" total dark, the shadows were weird then.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Glo sticks is a very good idea, as I want the light for me, :p... I agree dusk is the hardest for everyone as you have neither night or day vision and shadows can distort... Trailing, I get drug through nasty stuff and my girl pulls like a locomotive, so a little 'heads up! There is a branch!' is nice :)

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I have a headlamp pointed high up so not to blind dog or people. I use the little LED tag shaped lights. I use two and they are very powerful. Glo-Sticks are a pain to attach well. My harnesses and vests all have reflective tape and Tygo always wears a bell. One of my SAR buddies does the LED tags and an LED collar... he wants lots of light on his dog. Tygo is airscent. Boy a trailing dog leash would be tough in some woods at night.

One other cool thing about night training, particularly for air scent and I'm assuming for protection at certain levels, you are forced to trust your dog. It is a good exercise to really have to let go of that control thing trust and use some of your other senses. Very good to do.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts