German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some additional advice regarding my almost 9 year old GSD. We had taken Tessa to a local dog wash about 4 weeks ago without any sign so I know this is a recent problem. In the last week or 2 She had been licking her bottom, and sometimes seemed to struggle having a bowel movement. On Sunday I checked to see how she looked in her anal area. She was puffy, red and had some matted hair in the area. I trimmed her hair, we made her appointment and took her to the vet yesterday. She diagnosed my biggest fear of perianal fistula. She shaved her to see better. She also noted that she had a boil like area at the base of her tail. I think she called it a cyst, I'm not sure didn't write it down. She prescribed ketaconazole, metronidazole and prednisone orally, and VetericynVF spray for external use. I asked about food, and she said stay for now on your current food. If no improvement then switch to a single source food. She thought switching and starting medication at the same would muddy the water so to speak. I am hoping for any different ideas or thoughts anyone might have. She is having normal stools, and doesn't seem in pain at all. Playing fetch, jumping into our pickup truck acting as if all is good. I saw the suggestions for Desitin but can that be used with the VetericynVF spray?
Thank you for any help or advice. My sweet Tess.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I know how you must be feeling right now, and am so sorry you and Tess are going through this. Tess looks like such a sweet heart. What helped when Nitro's fistulas were active was making up a very warm epsom salt solution, soaking, then wringing a pad made with 2 folded paper towels wrapped in a kleenex, and leaving it under his tail while it cooled. I folded the towels in half, then thirds. It was soft, cheap and disposable. I think it felt good, and helped draw out the muck, as he was very cooperative when I did this. I'm guessing you'd clean Tess, apply the VetericynVF spray, followed by the Desitin. That was the order I did it.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Sorry you and your dog are having this problem. Our older dog developed this at about the same age as your dog.

We tried tacrolimus salve and prednisone and it did seem to help. But the wound kept closing up so it would have to be lanced back open to keep it draining. It seemed to be healing from the outside only.

We decided to try something completely different that has been our go to with livestock for many years. It's sugardine, a mixture of sugar and betadine. It worked remarkable well and out vet couldn't believe how well the dog healed. He was very pleased with the results.

We used a syringe without the needle, of course, to push the mixture up into the drainage hole, and also swabbed it on the outside. And we used powdered sugar to get a nice, smooth consistency in the sugardine. It helped that our dog was very tolerant and would allow us to do anything with him.

If you search it, you will find plenty of recipes and information about it. I know that most people will be very skeptical about this approach, but it worked very well for us and our dog.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your advice. We appreciate the 1st hand experience.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Poor Tess :cry:

Nikki has been dealing with PFs since August. She also takes Prednisone because we know putting her on Atopica & Ketaconazole would cause her to stop eating.

Besides the Prednisone we also use two topicals once a day: Tacrolimus & MotaZol

Keeping her PF's clean after she goes potty is important, we use a cotton ball and Chlorhexidine solution.

There is a group on FB you might want to join. It's not the most informative group...lol...but you will find that changing diet made a big difference for some dogs. A diet change was also recommended by Nikki's Dermatologist at A&M. Perianal Fistula Awareness/Support by Sauver Des Chiens

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I'll look at that group. How is Nikki doing?

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Thanks, I'll look at that group. How is Nikki doing?
She is doing ok but we still haven't been able to cut back her Prednisone, she takes 10mg once a day.

Her fistulas are not that bad, thank God. She has three that have broken through so far and one is still draining. Dermatologist said the hole may never close completely.

Goal is to eventually wean her of the Pred and control the fistulas with the topicals only.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That sounds like a good plan.

·
Registered
850 Posts
When Beau was alive and still with us...he was diagnosed a couple years back... our vet prescribed Tacrolimus....I'd clean the area with chlorhexidine wipes and then apply Tacrolimus ointment....the areas that were draining over the next 2-3 weeks shrunk--stopped draining and closed up to the point I couldn't see them...he had 2 separate episodes with the fistulas....

I think changing his kibble really helped in his case.....he'd been a picky eater all his life I'd rotate around different kibbles to keep him "wanting" to eat....about a week before his first diag with fistulas I'd switched to grain free Beau really seemed to like it but....I started seeing him struggle to poop....then the butt licking,,,followed by the vet visit.....OP just like your vet when I mentioned going back to food with grain our vet said let's do one thing at a time....but I tried another kibble with grain anyway because seeing him strain to poop hurt me to watch and his poop was very hard darn near like rock...Once we changed kibble--he could poop much easier and I think that helped in the healing process.....he did have one more episode a few months later...not nearly as bad as the first and the tacrolimus cleared him up pretty quick....I may be wrong but I really feel food was the big contributor in the beginning...

·
Registered
3 Posts
As others have said, our vet prescribed Tacrolimus salve. We'd clean the area, and then apply it.They healed up quickly, in less than 2 weeks, and closed up completely. She did have another occurrence about 1.5 years later, so we followed the same regimen, and they closed up quickly again. She hasn't had an other occurrence since, and the last was about 2 years ago. She's 13 years old and feeling great! Good luck with your girl!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts