German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newlie has pretty much always had free access to the house, although at times, he has been cordoned off with a baby gate, closed door, etc. He has only been crated at the groomers, occasionally at the vet's and when boarded. But I thought he had better be crated, at least for a while, after the ACL surgery and a young woman from work offered to lend me a crate that she wasn't using. Last Thursday, she and her boyfriend brought it over, carried it in and set it up for me. As you can tell by the picture, it is huge!

So far, so good with Newlie. I have left the door open and he has been going in and out and I make sure there are toys and little treats for whenever he goes in. He laid in there last night and ate a "frosty Paws." I have also gotten into the thing myself with him and petted and played with him. I keep joking that if the door slams shut and I get caught in there that I am not going to be happy having to call someone to come and get me out! I REALLY don't want that picture on Facebook!

I shifted some furniture around yesterday in my bedroom and a friend is coing over today to help me move the crate back there. I guess maybe in a day or so, I will try briefly shutting the door to the crate and see what happens.

Attachments

·
Registered
326 Posts
Good boy Newlie! It's good that you are taking it slow with him considering his surgery. I hope all goes well for you two!

·
Super Moderator
5,871 Posts
Kudos for thinking ahead!Sounds like he's acclimating well.Wishing Newlie a swift recovery and I'll be thinking of you two on Friday.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
That was so thoughtful for your coworker to offer her crate. With Molly's surgery we didn't use a crate, but an x-pen. After the surgery, Molly had no interest in leaving the x-pen. We put it in an area (our living room) where she could see us most of the day and she did OK. Our dining room is more of an office and open to the kitchen. We have Molly's bed under a desk and it is like a little den. Since she has a good down stay, we let her walk into the dining room onto her bed so she could watch me in the kitchen. I think Newlie will feel protected in the crate and be fine. If your bedroom is upstairs, I would call the surgeon and ask if Newlie can do stairs. We didn't let Molly do stairs for 2-3 months and kept them blocked with a baby gate.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the good wishes! Yes, Gretchen, it was very thoughtful, I am blessed with some good friends!

Newlie is such a mama's boy and always wants to be near me or have me in sight. That's the reason I thought of setting the crate up in the hall so that could see me at the kitchen table, etc, but it quickly became obvious it wasn't going to work because the crate is so big. So, we will put the crate in the bedroom where he will be near me at night and while I am at work and then I will have to come up with something else when I am at home. I am glad you mentioned stairs, though, because there are several stairs
going down to a landing leading to the back porch and several stairs down from the front porch to the yard. I am pretty sure I still have the old ramp my neighbor built when my first dog was elderly out in the garage so I will see if we can put that back up for Newlie to use.

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Newlie looks like he will be a great patient and will appreciate his mom doting on him till he recovers. Hoping for a speedy recovery on his surgery and sending best wishes.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Great idea to be proactive with the crate. Newlie looks right at home in it surrounded by his toys and treats. Best wishes for him and you this Friday.:)

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Newlie looks very comfortable in his crate. Sending positive thoughts for a quick and full recovery.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts