German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Its is by now very evidennt, that this Newby is getting re acquainted with GSD ownership, after a 45 + year hiatus. Now my help seeking question:
- I do have a 7 month old German Born show line boy, complete with his blue Deutschland passport, microship and pink papers on my hand; do I need to register him any further with other associations ie. AKC and the German GSD society?. His primary purpose for us is to be a family member, and perhaps dibble in some activities in which he shows an aptitude for. As per the issue of procreation, him being the son of a German Sieger Champion, we don't want to be to quick to proceed with gonads removal, until full maturity and expert consultations are made.
As it has been my policy up to this point, I rather ask and be seen as a total neophyte; rather than make ownership mistakes with this treasure of the animal kingdom, my GSD.
Waiting to be engulfed, by the brightness and member knowledge power of this Forum

·
Registered
32,402 Posts
If you are going to show him in the U.S. at all, any activity, then you'll need AKC papers. I haven't done this but I don't think it's any big deal since you have all his paperwork.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
As far as I know, foreign (Canadian) born dogs can be shown in AKC shows, but in order to breed him you will need to transfer his registration to AKC. You will likely also have to have a DNA profile done on him.

The rules may be different for German born dogs. It may also depend on the show venue (SV style shows, vs. AKC).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts