German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning,

I have my first GSD, a rescued female, Bella, about 2 years old. I was looking for compatibility with another GSD, I would like two, when I came across this website. Wonderful! Lots of information.

My last three dogs have been Great Danes. When people would ask me how I trained the dogs I used to joke that, 'First, you have to know more than the dog.' With Bella it is a toss-up leaning toward her. She is smart, crafty, persistent and quick to catch on in training. All in all a great joy in my life.

I am a small time building contractor and bring Bella with me every day and I make that known in advance to customers. So far everyone loves her. She lays in the shade, which I find odd when she could move a couple feet and be in the sun, off leash and watches. Just watches. Often she will come to me and I will pet her and cuddle with her for a minute but then it is back to laying in the shade.

So I am here and hope to learn the art of cohabitating to make life more enjoyable for both of us and offer any help I can.

Tom

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Welcome to the forum and bless you for taking on a rescue.

It usually takes awhile for rescue dogs to figure out their new lives, and the people in that new life. Many times we have no idea what their past is, and the experiences that includes.

Big thing is to be patient and try to make as much time to do new and fun things WITH your dog to bond and work out the kinks. Playtime is really important. Active running, playing, tugging, ball time. Off leash activities are wonderful.

DOG CLASSES are a terrific way to bond with our new pups. REally putting ourselves in a leadership role to the dog, in a new place with new dogs/people. About our dogs learning to look to us and trust us while getting guidance from us.

TREATS TREATS TREATS TREATS for tons of training. Teaching tricks is a fantastic way to bond also. Teaching a trick is the least important part of teaching a trick

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Hello and welcome to the the forum Tom and Bella!

Thank you for rescuing!

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Welcome to you and Bella! :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Welcome Tom and Bella...my first GSD was named Bella.
Thank you for rescuing Bella, sounds like she will have a great life with you!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Welcome! Photos are always appreciated! :)

My shepherd despises laying in the sun, year around - he prefers the shade as well.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Welcome Tom and Bella! We love pictures here!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts