German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all that are reading this. I have owned many dogs in my whole 26years of life. I recently purchased a female pup in hopes of getting her into some type of sport work. I have not given up on her but some of the drives that I was looking for are not there. The breeder has offered to give me half of my money back and fix her at their cost. I would still be losing out on her but I would get to keep her as she has become attached to our family. I was going to get her PENNhips done in hopes of breeding her but now am starting to realize who would want a puppy that comes from a mother who is not titled. I have recently become infactuated with dog show, the last one I watch on TV was the Westminster I think. I have searched on here but I am looking for some good books to read about getting into possible showing. I would not buy another dog until im fully aware of what the requirements breed standards are etc. I want to do this for fun. Just a little of my background is basically training and handling police dogs for about 6 1/2 years now. Ive been to many trainer patrol courses and detection courses etc. Basically what im looking for are a few good books about getting into dog shows etc. Sorry if this is a little excess but would like some help. Also as far as breeding I have no experience. I have an array of books but no reputable shepherd breeders near me that I can find.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Hi.....we show our dogs in the German Conformation Shows.....maybe we can help with some of your questions.....feel free to PM me with specific questions..?
OR....ask one question at a time on this forum......I'm sure there are a few of us available to offer some advice!
Best wishes!
Robin

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey there thanks for the reply. Im actually deploying for a while and just wanted some literature to get me going, like the basics. Anyways thanks alot in advance

·
"I like Daffy" Moderator
3,276 Posts
Patricia Craige Trotter has a great book called "Breeding to Win" or something like that. She is sn AKC judge, and a breeder of the best Norwegian Elkhounds. Her dogs have won the Hound Group at Westminster 10 times.

She talks about building a bloodline, and how to keep the best bitches from a breeding, and only keep a male if he is exceptional.

·
"I like Daffy" Moderator
3,276 Posts
Are you interested in AKC showing or SV showing?

Where are you loccated?

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
What venue you show in will be important. There are some huge differences in showing AKC vs. showing in the German/SV ring. The dogs are a different type usually, handled very differently, stacked differently, etc.

If you are interested in the German style, definitely take Robin up on her offer to answer your questions. Her team is fabulous.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You guys are awesome. Thanks for the replies. Im in virginia beach, VA USA. I Will look at that book as well. Im guessing AKC showing right? Im going to Afghanistan and would really like some literature to take with me....

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Yep!....Robin is my name!
We are located in Freeport, Illinois....about 30 mins West of Rockford.
That's about a 2 hour drive from Chicago......shoot.....we drive almost 2 hours each way every Saturday, to train people's dogs.....I practically live in my van.
We are always ready and happy to help people get their dogs trained......Carlos (my husband) lives for it! It's truly a passion!
When you are ready....we will help.
Take care!
Robin

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey thanks. I guess what I would want to do is maybe come watch. I will try and get my hands on as many books to read while on deployment. I have to come to chicago for a week this summer and would love to watch anything

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I forgot here is a picture of my little Nala. She is a goofball and as you can tell black. Needless to say if I did want to get into any shows I would have to get another in the future. I dont know much about anything but I dont think Ive ever seen a black shepherd at a dog show :) Anyways I still love her.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
THANK YOU Liesje!
That was very nice of you to say!! MUCH APPRECIATED!
I only say it b/c it's true! You guys are a great wealth of knowledge not just for showing but the breed in general and are very generous with your time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok so let me ask you this then. Im looking at the breed standard for German Shepherds, Where does is say what the color has to be, like does he or she have to be black and tan or ?

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Black, black and tan/red, sable, bi-color...doesn't matter as long as it's not white or panda.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Hmm so if my dog is 8months old is it too late to start. She has a full AKC Registration.
Not too late. You can start or stop showing a dog at any time after 6 months of age (A dog must be 6 months old to be entered in a show).

Have you had anybody evaluate your puppy? I may have missed what ring you said you wanted to exhibit in?

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Hmm so if my dog is 8months old is it too late to start. She has a full AKC Registration.
It's not so much age as the look and lineage of you dog. If your breeder was breeding from AKC showlines, then that's the 'look' you'll have and the breed ring you'll do well in. If they are German showlines, that's the look you'll have. German working lines.... etc.

If you have dogs like mine, bred for working and temperment, not sure my dogs would do well in any conformation ring.... but they they rock in agility and that's what I got them for.

I'm thinking you should give up on that silly conformation anyways, how about agility when you get back!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I havent really read on agility at all. Like I said before I bought here for the working lines. But since starting some schutzhund etc I have realized that I do enough patrol work at my job that really doing this isnt much fun. Thats why I am not asking about showing. I have no Idea on what ring is or which is which. Im confused now. Hope I get these books soon I ordered a couple

·
Registered
27,220 Posts
Nala is a beautiful bi-color! If she isn't going to win in the ring, agility is so much fun, and you may just get addicted to it...I hear that happens as often as it does in SchH.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts