German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I doing something wrong, and/or just expecting too much.

Our Max will be 8 weeks old tomorrow and we have had him for 1 week. My wife and I took off work to be with him the first week in his new home to bond and work on "error free" house training. After the first few days when taking him outside and giving a potty command he usually goes.
We are using the crate more & more now that he is becoming comfortable with it and watching him closely when not in the crate. Even watching him closely he stops and w/o warning starts to pee.
We give a no command and take him directly out side for a potty command and he usually finishes outside and is praised.

Are we doing something wrong that I'm just not aware of?
Should we crate him more? I want to excercise him and bond w/him but need to get him house trained too.
Are this mistakes going make house training more difficult?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
How often are you taking him outside to potty? With Chevy, we took him out every 10 to 15 minutes at first, even if he didn't have to go, we still took him outside (and most of the time it was freezing outside with temps hovering around zero). After a couple weeks, and no accidents in the house, when he had to go, he would bark or scratch at the back door. I know some people hang a bell at the back door and train the pup/dog to nudge the bell so it rings whenever they have to go potty. It takes time and patience but eventually they'll get it
Good luck and congrats on your Max!

·
Registered
27,245 Posts
He is just a baby, I would use the word outside instead of no and make sure you take him to the same spot every time outside. Praise him when he goes( which you are doing) One thing I regret NOTdoing was having Onyx on a leash during this as now at a year and a half, she won't go when on leash at all...maybe as she matures she will start to "mark" but I haven't ever seen her go when she is on leash. We are starting SchH training about 45 mins away, it will be a long ride home for her if she doesn't learn to go!

·
Registered
288 Posts
We would take Link to his spot on the leash and say "Be quick" if we caught him in the house we used a cleaner for hardwood floors so that it would take the smell out so they don't use the same spot inside. He would usually sniff around and that is how we knew he had to go and go now.

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
sounds like you are doing everything right to me

it just takes awhile..just make sure you are always with him, always watching (which i am sure you are) otherwise you cannot catch the moment so to speak!
And if you cant watch him, then would be a good time for the crate

good luck he'll get it in no time..and if he doesnt (our male took forever to housetrain it seems) than that is ok to, just keep at it! and clean up the messes with one of those good enzyme cleaners so they dont want to go there again

oh, and last thing, I have heard that dogs are almost 14 weeks or so before they have actual "control" over their urges..like enough tone to hold it..so sounds like your guy is doing great!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
we brought our boy home at 9 weeks old. we he first came into the house i let him roam around for 10 t0 15 minutes and then outside we go. i did the 10 to 15 minutes thing for quite awhile. we increased the time gradually. 15 minutes to 1/2 hour to 45 minutes to 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes and so on. over night i took him out every 2 hours. within 12 days he was house broken. he had a few mistakes but most of the time it was my fault. after play take him out immediately. after feeding i would wait 15 minutes and then out. 8 weeks old, that's so young. take him out alot, i do mean alot. also don't forget to praise when you take him out or maybe a treat. lots of praise and petting and treats. he'll catch on. within a week or maybe a little longer you can put away the mop and bucket then it'll be nip time. your going to love that period. a little nip on the side of a bare foot, oh yeah, you're awake now baby!!! you're going to be fine. enjoy the puppy days.

·
2,967 Posts
Puppies are not accident free until they're older. They don't have much control of their bladder until about 4 or 5 months, so they can't hold it. The urge comes and they go.

They may understand that going potty in the house is not the place to go so training is in place, but if they've got to go they will, and they probably only have a few seconds warning in their brains before the body takes over and relieves itself.

We use the crate alot, we also use interruption if there does start to be an accident and we restrict water intake. Movement also seems to stimulate the bowels. Lots of playing will cause them to go potty. (yes even if they were out 30 minutes ago!) I also like to play with my dogs outside after they go potty. I think that sends the message that if you potty, we get to have fun! Many dogs will avoiding going to the bathroom if they think it means that they have to go back inside where it's boring. We also do no water after 8 at night and last out at 11, and our girl would go through the night at 9 weeks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies. It reassures me that we're doing most things right. Sounds like maybe we need to tighten up the schedule for going outside. Maybe every 1/2 hour (most books I had read said every hour on the hour and if they don't go every 15 min until they do, then back on the hour). Then be patient.

I will say that some of the accidents have been fault - not getting the leash on quick enough and getting outside - playing and not going out during or after playing.

I think we need more training the he does!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
Originally Posted By: JKlatskyPuppies are not accident free until they're older. They don't have much control of their bladder until about 4 or 5 months, so they can't hold it. The urge comes and they go.

They may understand that going potty in the house is not the place to go so training is in place, but if they've got to go they will, and they probably only have a few seconds warning in their brains before the body takes over and relieves itself.

We use the crate alot, we also use interruption if there does start to be an accident and we restrict water intake. Movement also seems to stimulate the bowels. Lots of playing will cause them to go potty. (yes even if they were out 30 minutes ago!) I also like to play with my dogs outside after they go potty. I think that sends the message that if you potty, we get to have fun! Many dogs will avoiding going to the bathroom if they think it means that they have to go back inside where it's boring. We also do no water after 8 at night and last out at 11, and our girl would go through the night at 9 weeks.
i probably over did it with the going out every 2 hours over night. my breeder once asked me how house training was going and when i told her about the every 2 hours over night she told me to stop disturbing my puppy's sleep and that he could probably hold over night. this was the first time that i didn't use paper or have an area in the house where the puppy could go. we took off a month from work when our boy first came home so house training like all other things in their training was easy. i think we counted 10 times that he went in the house. within 12 days he was house broken. from then on it's been smooth sailing for the GF, the Shep and i. i find training him is so easy. we teach him one thing at a time. we train 3 to 5 times a day but only short sessions. 5 to 10 minutes a session always ending on a good note/positive note. having a Shepherd makes it easy to be a Whisperer.

·
Registered
619 Posts
We used the bell method (even though my DH was skeptical at first)...it worked very well...Jackson is three months old now and we have gone two weeks without an accident and before that we had maybe one every 3-4 days and they were mainly my fault because I didn't pay attention.

And its so cute to watch him ring the bell and sit at the door when he wants to go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know this is hindsight, however it will come in handy for your next pup.
The trick is to keep your pup outside first when you initially bring it home, let it do its duty, then take it in the house.Not the other way around.After you bring it in then schedule potty times and return to the
original potty spot.Usually within a week your good to go if you are vigilant with the potty schedule.Know this doesn't help this particular
situation now so its best to just be patient.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My two guys (Duke and Max) came home with me at 7 weeks old. I kept them isolated in a 5' x 8' area of my kitchen that I partioned off. I learned early on if I didn't catch them in the act going on the floor it was too late to scold them. In other words, if you find a pile of poo or puddle of pee and scold them, they have no idea what they've done wrong. So I just began taking them out every two hours or so until they were 12 - 14 weeks old. When they did their jobs I praised them excessively. Eventually they learned to let me know when they needed to go out. The every two hour method worked for me in part because I was able to take them to work with me until they were a little over 4 months old. Persistence is the key, that includes getting out of bed during the night to take them out. The payoff was worth it though for me.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
While some people do have miracle pups that get housebroken in a week or so...................

3 out of 3 of my pups were NOT.

They are babies, with baby brains and baby sized bladders. So the understanding along with the physical limitations are a factor. Mostly mine were PRETTY good by 12 weeks, but certainly not to be trusted on my Mom's Persian rugs....

Taking them out into the yard all the time (every hour or so?). Throwing puppy parties when they do go outside. HAve to catch them in the act inside for the 'uh uh' and carrying them into the yard. Crates are a miracle to help with all stages (and ease in clean up).

And TIME!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
If I may offer some advice,,,or at least the way I have trained my fou dogs over the past 20 years.....A crate is wonderful...dogs at one time many years ago were cave dwelling animals. My Golden Retreiver I purchased formy daughter when she turned 3 years of age. We had a crate "Tory" spent time in it and when we carried her in our arms outside we always said her name " Tory, outside" and then coming in it was "Tory inside". I now have a 2 rescue dogs , ages 7 and 3. I also have just brought home a GSD ( 6 weeks ) With my recue dogs I repeated this method of saying the dogs name then the direction outside or inside. Now we say to our older boys, "OUTSIDE" and then run for the patio door...Jeager is our GSD, after 3 weeks of caring him outside and back inside he is now running to the patio door and sitting infront of it, tonight he slapped the door with his left paw...took him out, saying , "Jeager outside", he ranoff the patio into the grass for a good pee,,,lots of happy worlds for this little guy. He sleeps in his crate at night and has the run of the family room(18ft by 18ft ) and the kitchen( 15ft by 28 ft. plenty of room for a guy his size. This may not be the correct way ,,,but it has worked for me 4 times over in the past 20 years. When my boys are in the back yard,,,just say Inside,,,,the trot to the patio door and wait for me to get there. Best of luck..
Doug and Kelly
dad and mom to Angus( Dane and St. Bernard mix, 7 years old)
Oddie( GSD mix,3 years old )
Jeager ( GSD 9 weeks )

1 - 14 of 14 Posts