German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the form, as of yet don't have a GSD. In the early 80's I had an AKC line GSD that I showed in confirmation and obedience. He died at a young age and I got out of shepherds and spent the next 30 years in sighthounds. Now retired and living on 40 acres I want to get another GSD. I am interesting in a working line dog and came here to read and learn. I live in Southern Ontario Canada. :smile2:

·
Registered
694 Posts
WELCOME to the forum. I'm sure you'll meet lots of nice folks and learn a lot about our favorite breed.

Are you planning to get one in the near future? A puppy or a grown dog?

I've had 2 GSDs, both female rescues from our local shelter. Wonderful pets and family members.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Orphan Heidi, thanks for the welcome and reply. I am interested in a puppy. I am very keen to train again...though I know my skills are rusty and there is a great deal I don't know. I am excited for the adventure at this stage of my life. I am very lucky as I am home full time (at 55 I hope I am not too old to start to learn IPO...the dog is not the worry it is me :) )and I have a large property. In part this large property is the catalyst for getting back into GSD, as I have found in the year I have been here, I have had a couple of folks wander onto the place at night, trying to have a look in out buildings etc. I am planning to set up a training area in a beautiful open spot beside the house (about 1/2 acre in size) and hope it will in effect be advertising that I have a large well trained GSD, and to think twice about sneaking onto the place. I am not talking about keeping a dog outside, as I want to have dog that is with my in the house, or out in my pottery studio, or greenhouse while I work. I also want to be able to hike the woods, but it would be nice to have company that would enjoy the walk.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Welcome! There are a fair amount of IGP people here and many with working line so I think you’ve come to the right place ? There’s a ton of information to help narrow down a breeder and your expectations. Good luck on the hunt!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts