German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone.
I’m Andrea! I’m here trying to get information before I adopt a GSD. I had one a long time ago. I haven’t had one since. I am trying to see if it would be a right fit while living in my situation and get inputs from actual owners.

A little about me and my living situation.

1. I live in an apartment in Los Angeles. It’s hard to explain but it’s essentially a studio with a fall to divide the living room and room. It’s fairly large.

2. The dog will be alone with another dog for around 5-6 hours a day. We would be looking into day care, a dog sitter coming in and walking them when we cannot be home.

3. The dog will have 2 walks by owner one by a walker. 30 minutes to an hour each walk. With a 45 minute to an hour and half of training.

4. We are hikers and will take the dog on constant hikes.

I guess I want to know if it is possible? Shedding isn’t an issue.

Thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
813 Posts
I have two dogs(3 soon) and live in a apartment. Is it easy ? No. But I make it work and I really never leave them alone for more than a few hours. It takes a lot of dedication and we are constantly driving to places to train and excersize.
If I lived in a studio I wouldn’t do it.

Also I bet your landlord does not allow german shepherds ? How do you know this dog will be OK for 5-6 hours alone?

Walks are great but they are not enough. They need physical as well as mental stimulation.

If you are dedicated enough you can make this work, but you’re really gonna have to get the right dog

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have two dogs(3 soon) and live in a apartment. Is it easy ? No. But I make it work and I really never leave them alone for more than a few hours. It takes a lot of dedication and we are constantly driving to places to train and excersize.
If I lived in a studio I wouldn’t do it.

Also I bet your landlord does not allow german shepherds ? How do you know this dog will be OK for 5-6 hours alone?

Walks are great but they are not enough. They need physical as well as mental stimulation.

If you are dedicated enough you can make this work, but you’re really gonna have to get the right dog

Aside from walks it would go on hikes, dog park, doggy day care if it longer then the time frame given. As for training it work be daily for 45 minutes to an hour. And landlord says no pits no rotties and nothing exceeding 100lbs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes totally possible, but when the dog is a puppy, be prepared to come to a home totally demolished. They calm down at 1 year of age.

30 minutes walks twice a day, and playing fetch in an enclosed doggie park (one at park la brea) is very very appropriate. Buy Kirkland food from costco, best for the price. Dogfoodadvisor.com.

Way I see it, studio or no studio : dog needs owner, owner needs dog. Forget the size of the residence, not everyone lives in a farm.

*** Removed by ADMIN ***

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes totally possible, but when the dog is a puppy, be prepared to come to a home totally demolished. They calm down at 1 year of age.

30 minutes walks twice a day, and playing fetch in an enclosed doggie park (one at park la brea) is very very appropriate. Buy Kirkland food from costco, best for the price. Dogfoodadvisor.com.

Way I see it, studio or no studio : dog needs owner, owner needs dog. Forget the size of the residence, not everyone lives in a farm.

*** Removed by ADMIN ***

Thank you. I go to park la brea all the time. Didn’t know they had a dog park. Thanks for the words of encouragement.

·
Registered
875 Posts
As others said the "right" dog will be fine in your situation....assuming you're thinking about an adult from a shelter or rescue....it's difficult to know why/how the dog ended up in a shelter....what issues may the dog have (from it's previous life) that may not be obvious at first glance ?
That said I'm 100% for adoption.....These dogs thrive on training, play time and just hanging out with their "person"....how well it works IMO depends on you putting in the necessary time for the GSD to succeed .

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think, ultimately, with enough dedication you can make just about anything work. That said, one thing I'd caution on is don't 'count on' the option of doggy daycare - at least, the 'mixed play / interaction' kind. Some dogs aren't daycare animals (same goes for dog parks), and depending on the facility they may or may not be able or willing to accommodate a dog that doesn't do well.

I planned on doing daycare with my pup but one place we tried (which has excellent reviews, etc.) was more suited to 'pet' dogs rather than my high drive girl. She didn't do well mixed in with a big group of strange dogs, and even picked up some VERY bad habits during our short trial run. Now I've found a GSD breeder in my area who will do daycare in a controlled way and that's worked for us.

Best to be cautious and line some backup options up! :)

·
Registered
813 Posts
I used to work at a dog daycare/boarding place and nearly every single shepherd/mal did horrible there. It just wasn’t the right environment for them.

You sound like you will be a wonderful dog owner though!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a 1100 SQ FT townhouse/loft and it works fine for my GSD.
When we go to work, he is knows to go in his kennel. (he is 5 months old).
When we are home, he gets 2 walks a day and a back yard to play in.

Shedding is not much of an issue. I have a Roomba that picks up his shedding. Roomba runs when Max is upstairs with my wife and I. Max also sleeps in our bedroom. He has a dog bed on the floor, but I find him sleeping near my legs on my bed.

I have also trained him to not bark or howl in the house.

Crate training will be critical for this type of living. A friend of mine, has a small condo in San Francisco (800 SQ FT) and has to do the same for his dog when he is not home.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I used to work at a dog daycare/boarding place and nearly every single shepherd/mal did horrible there. It just wasn’t the right environment for them.

You sound like you will be a wonderful dog owner though!

Thank you. My wife and I try.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts