German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some GSDs have issues with ears not standing. Is there any correlation to the type of breeder the dog came from? (is it seen more in dogs from BYBs or does it not matter?)

·
Registered
510 Posts
My trainer, who has extensive experience with GSDs, recently told me that some of the West German show lines are notorious for soft ears. I had no idea, but my import has very soft ears. After months of forms, they'll stand up, but not all day, every day. I've decided to let go of the angst. He's a fabulous dog and when the ears are up, he's gorgeous. He's 10 months and I'm not doing forms at this point. Enough. I have a white BYB GSD with thick, beautiful erect ears, and had a lovely rescue GSD with great ears. The problem I have is with the uber expensive German show line.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Then you have a very good chance your dogs ears will be fine but crap happens. Can you tell me why this concerns you because there are many worse problems a GSD can have.

Do you own a puppy or is this just a concern of yours.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Then you have a very good chance your dogs ears will be fine but crap happens. Can you tell me why this concerns you because there are many worse problems a GSD can have.

Do you own a puppy or is this just a concern of yours.
Just being OCD, that is all. Trying to prepare as best I can. No puppy yet, picking him up on Saturday. I need to stop hanging out in the health section of the message board, its enough to make you crazy worrying :)

thanks for the reply. I also met one of the dogs from a past litter, and his ears looked great too.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Oddly enough, it seems to happen more in showlines than in working lines. Maybe because showlines, on average, tend to have bigger ears. (This is a generalization and there are plenty of exceptions.)

Personally I :wub: floppy ears!

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Just being OCD, that is all. Trying to prepare as best I can. No puppy yet, picking him up on Saturday. I need to stop hanging out in the health section of the message board, its enough to make you crazy worrying :)

thanks for the reply. I also met one of the dogs from a past litter, and his ears looked great too.
Odds are hugely in your favor that his/her ears will be fine. Giving them good things to chew on will help so now you can get off the health site and on to something else.:) Asking questions and being worried and being prepared is a good thing. good luck

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you! Should I buy a nylon bone for him to chew on now? Or no toys at 8wks? Should I wait a couple months for when he is teething to give him things to chew on?

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
I think nylabones are fine as long as they can't eat them up. I gave my girls nylabones but my vet said one of my girls had 2 cracked teeth but she is 5 years old. The white ones are like concrete so I guess with an aggressive chewer they are not a good ides but with a puppy I think it will be fine if you offer the green and then the brown ones.

Like I said this is something you can research cuz I am only 1 opinion. I would tie a couple knots on an old sock and get it wet then ring it out and freeze it. I think a pig ear or a hoof even a raw hide is good for a puppy until they can eat it.Keeping the chew item large is best just so they can gnaw on it and don't give them anything they can choke on if left alone.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
You should probably stay away from the weight chart, then. LOL
Jax is from show lines, had soft ears, was half the size the chart said he should have been :eek: and ate Costco puppy food. He's now 11 months, 87lbs, both ears stand without human intervention, has perfect hips and is the perfect combination of guard dog and lap dog :)
FYI, I've noticed show lines tend to have the "horizontal ear" thing for a long time... they stand... just not up :rofl: Jax's started to finally point up both at the same time at 10 months. So if your puppy turns out to be a dud after you bring him home, don't give up :)
And for the love of god and all that is holy, don't tape tampons in his ears until at least after he's done teething :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts