German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well My GSD loves the colder weather, whats the coldest it can be outside and be comfortable for them? same with the heat? it gets as low as 43 degrees here in phoenix and my dog seems to like it outside better. 9.5 month old GSD

·
Registered
572 Posts
I have a longer haired shepherd.

The low temp here can get in the 30s (sometimes 20s) and as high as triple digits in the summer. In the summer, exercising her can be difficult. We like to let her swim (but not always convenient as we do not have a pool) as she gets too hot walking or hiking for most times above 80, so we try not to do it. If it is above 90, we just don't do it. Instead, we will do the major exercise earlier in the morning or later in the evening (9PM or so) and try to hit the neighborhoods with sprinklers going

She absolutely thrives in the cooler weather and can go for hours in winter. Definitely her favorite time of year. I would expect if it snows then maybe it could damage her pads, but they have shoes for that

Is your dog long or short haired?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Well, GSDs have a double coat, so mine have always seemed to come alive when the temperature begins to drop in the Fall. A few days ago it was about 10 degrees here and Hildie was still ready for her walk and romp in the yard. I wouldn't leave her outside, but as long as we're moving she's fine. In the Summer they usually turn into dog rugs and stay where it's coolest. In my house this means wherever there is an air conditioner vent. But I've always wondered if local climate affects how the coat grows. Maybe someone else from a warm state can answer that.

Have fun with your pup!

·
Registered
152 Posts
DianaB,

The snow is just fine for their pads--even ice doesn't bother Hildie. The real culprit is the harsh salt people put down to melt the ice. When she walks on that she starts limping and I have to wipe off her paws right away.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Wherever youre at, Im sure the weather is tolerable for your pup. Just make sure your dog has plenty of water year round. In the summertime, Ive heard of people spraying their dogs down with the water hose. They seem to love it.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Tonight, we are at 1 degree with wind chills at -15. At this very moment, Anna is outside playing! I have tried for 15 mins to get her to come in and she refuses, just runs off and starts jumping around. She is driving me crazy! Now, I must put everything on and drag my battered bones out to get her! LOL gotta love GSD's.

When she is inside, now keep in mind she has a very very heavy coat this year, she pants constantly! Worries me when she goes outside that she will actually get sick. I keep my house setting on 65 degrees right now because she pants constantly!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Originally Posted By: The SergeantIn the summertime, Ive heard of people spraying their dogs down with the water hose. They seem to love it.
The hose has been a favorite of Siena's since she was a pup...(How's your search going, btw?)

She was about 3 months here...

and about 6 1/2 months here...

Nearly impossible to water the garden with her

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
The double coat insulates against heat and cold so your dog should be pretty adaptable to the cold. 43 is not cold and the cool air probably invigorates him, I know does me too. .

Make sure if your dog is outside whether it is cold or hot, that he has plenty of water and shelter.

I would be more cocncerned with the summer heat in Pheonix and make sure he is in during the hottest part of the day.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Yesterday it was around 25 degrees with wind chills between 10-15 and Chico and I spent around 2 hours outside. It was snowing and he was an absolute goofball! During our playtime I would make sure to come in and let him get a drink and inspect his pads. If I didn't he would stay out there all day and not think anything of it. I can tell when Chico is getting tired, which isn't often, so I will go in and let him calm down.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Love those wet pup pics! It is very hard to water when all they want to do is kill the hose!
My dogs love to be outside in the frigid temps,too.
Karlo has an ear infection, and I wonder if it is from the bitter wind blowing down his big satellite dishes.
My concern w/ the cold is training time, when the dogs are crated in vehicles for hours/no wind but they aren't running around to stay warm either. In the summer I run a fan on the crate. Because the crate is in the back of the truck, no way to heat it.
Another one in search of a nice SUV SchH ride.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Quote:Well My GSD loves the colder weather, whats the coldest it can be outside and be comfortable for them? same with the heat? it gets as low as 43 degrees here in phoenix and my dog seems to like it outside better. 9.5 month old GSD
When you say "comfortable outside", do you mean leaving them outside in the yard or in a dog run, or simply doing activities outside, such as playing with them or going for walks?

If you're talking about the latter, most German Shepherds will adjust to the temperatures. They're very adaptable and their lovely double coats help protect them from the cold, the hot, and the elements (such as rain). Their layers of fur actually help keep them cool in the summer - they trap air between the layers.

Now, in order for a dog to do fine at most temperatures, they need to actually get outside and do something in the weather. There are many people - thankfully not a lot who have German Shepherds - whose dogs only ever go outside to potty, they don't even get walks. So those dogs tend to do badly when it's real hot or real cold because they never get a chance to get used to the changing weather.

If you're talking about leaving a dog outside, then I would definitely say there's such a thing as too hot or too cold, especially if there is limited access to weather protection and water.

As for the 43 degrees ... well, that's not really "cold" to a German Shepherd.
We've been at -23 already this year and my GSD LOVES it outside ... she keeps trying to cover herself in snow!

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I'm going to go against the crowd on this one since everyone answering seems to be from areas where it gets really cold on a regular basis.

Before I begin, the Hooligans do enjoy "cold" weather. But ...

While it's true that the double coats offer protection to the dogs, you also must take into consideration how much of these double coats the dogs have. I've found that the GSDs living in warm weather climates usually don't have as thick/heavy of an undercoat as dogs do who live in cold weather areas.

And in the warmer climates, the cold weather hits fast, and then moves on, leaving the inhabitants blisfully enjoying their warmer weather again.

I would be willing to bet that the Hooligans are not as well prepared for 20 degree weather as their cousins living in International Falls, MN are.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
I have 3 GSDs all with different coats. Onyx is a short, stock coat, and doesn't get much thicker in the winter. Kacie is LC and Karlo is in between. As long as they are active, they all stay out willingly. I feel for you all in the south that are getting a dose of artic air. Poor iguanas, falling out of the trees they are so cold!

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I worry about Anna cause it's like 18 here right now, very abnormal for here. Her coat isn't very long or has much of an undercoat. Last night, we walk out and she scampers off. I get ready to call her in and what's she doing? Laying on the cold ground chewing a block of ice she got out of a water bowl. Doofus! So much for me worrying!

I did see a boxer out this morning...standing in the sun trying to stay warm. I felt so bad for that dog!

But it's supposed to get to 12 here tonight with a wind chill in the single to negative digits, so the pups will stay inside comfy and warm with me with short potty breaks!

·
Registered
672 Posts
I also agree, for teh dogs in the southern parts of the U.S. or anywhere else that it is normally fair for the winter, this is harder on them then those with colder temps. But it goes both ways. Our neighbor has one of those dogs that is out no matter what. With his coat, and being used to the temps as they gradually lowered, I think he would be rather uncomfortable inside at 70 degrees. In a case like that, he would be better off in a garage or building that stayed at say above freezing with no wind then out in the harsh -26 wind chill we had last night, but still not inside where it is heated. Hope that makes sense, long day, pain med, and very tired tonight lol!

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
We live in San Diego - it has been in the upper 70's-80's for the week (so, definitely the warmer part of the country) and my dogs absolutely LOVE the cold/snow. They have never showed me any desire to go back inside. We were in Tahoe around thanksgiving and it was 30-40 outside and my dogs ran into the lake to lay down. I took them outside for walks and play time in Dec when we were there during a snow storm and they were just as happy. Whenever we visit the snow, the dogs usually have to go "potty" in the middle of the night (nothing like going outside when it is negatives just to realize your dog just wanted to go out and walk around). We have taken them cross country skiing and off to play in the snow and they spend hours outside and do just fine. May times they just lay down and enjoy the snow, bury themselves in it or chomp on their ball. Like someone else said - the only thing that I have seen them be bothered by is the salt.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks guys and gals, as far as what coat he is im guessing short haired, maybe medium. (im a GSD newb) here is a funny pic of him catching his toy :p

and one when he was around 6-7 months

1 - 20 of 21 Posts