German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the offer for shipping the dogs and Gradlyn Kennels suggested to take a straight flight to either Newark or JFK and to pick them up from there.

The shipping costs for one male and two females are 1802 EUROS (including two kennels for 305 EUROS which I will probably buy myself. Means that we have to pay around 1500 Euros to ship all three of them which is cheaper than Petair. With Petair we would pay the same for two dogs as we pay for three with Grandlyn Kennels.

Anyhow, which is the better Airport? NEWARK or JFK?

For those that don't know, we move to Watertown, NY.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
So you're moving to Watertown is that right?

JFK and Newark airports are both about 300 miles from Watertown NY so the trip will be 5-6 hrs depending on traffic. Both airports are congested, really congested. I would pick Newark over JFK.

Have you checked any of the other international airports in New York State? Syracuse and Albany both have international airports and are much closer to Watertown.

Burlington Vermont has an international airport also. It's about 140 miles (222 kilometers approx) from Watertown so half the distance of going to Newark or JFK

If you haven't researched them I would. All will be easier to navigate than Newark and JFK.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
I don't know whether you have other airport options beyond JFK and Newark, but if you do, I would definitely recommend considering them.

Syracuse is the nearest large airport to Watertown, it is about 2 hours south. Albany is another option. Watertown has its own "international" airport, but it's little prop-job planes and I'm not sure they could even load three Shepherd crates on one of those. :D

JFK and Newark are both a **** of a drive coming from Watertown, not to mention the traffic you will have to deal with at both and getting to both.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Personally I would chose Newark. YOu could continue right on down on either the GSP or NJ Turniike. To go to JFK, which is a longer trip, is also more of a MAJOR headache IMO. I personally find Newark "less" confusing than JFK
Hope this helps,
Pam

·
Registered
819 Posts
I don't know whether you have other airport options beyond JFK and Newark, but if you do, I would definitely recommend considering them.

Syracuse is the nearest large airport to Watertown, it is about 2 hours south. Albany is another option. Watertown has its own "international" airport, but it's little prop-job planes and I'm not sure they could even load three Shepherd crates on one of those. :D

JFK and Newark are both a **** of a drive coming from Watertown, not to mention the traffic you will have to deal with at both and getting to both.
I agree with this. ^ If its not too much more $ to have them flown someplace else, I'd do that, if I were you. I gotta believe it would be a nightmare getting 3 dogs from either one of those two airports. The traffic alone would put me right over the top! :eek: Good luck!!

·
Registered
438 Posts
If Syracuse is not an option Newark is much easier to navigate around than JFK. You would also need to plan what time you would pick them up. Traffic is a nightmare with both.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the flight from Germany to Newark or JFK would be all in all 1802 EUROS.

They said it's easier to take a straight flight. I guess I could take somebody with me so we can switch the drivers. I drive there and the other one drives back.

Chris (Abby) care for an adventure? :D

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
I'm very familiar with both airports since i'm at both several times a week. If you ask me, both airports are horrible in terms of traffic and flight delays and they are both zoos. You're really going to just have to pick your poison.

Whichever airport you can get a direct flight to at the best time is what you should go with. There really is no "better" choice between the two.

If you choose JFK and your flight is delayed (which it mostly likely will be), i know a great parking lot where you can park for free for as long as you want. At newark, you're going to have to pay for your parking no matter what happens.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Seriously, if Syracuse is an option do that. Aren't you moving here in the winter?? That drive up 81 once you hit the Tully area can be a real bear in the middle of winter. But agree with the Newark sentiment if you can.

What about Philly? I'm not sure it would be any further...does anyone know what traffic is like around there? I feel like that would be a less painful drive. I've never driven into the airport, just around the city and I don't think it's even comparable to NYC/NJ traffic.

I would definitely look into prices into Syr if you haven't already. The last few times I"ve flown internationally, it's been CHEAPER for me to fly out of Syr than NYC. Not sure if that's also the case with flying the dogs...I was surprised, but hey whatever..much easier for me!

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
I have picked up a puppy from Newark and I didn't find traffic to be a problem at all. I would also rather not drive into NYC. YIKES!

Just adding that it was a 10 hour drive from Ohio.

It too bad that flights into the US are so limited these days. I used to be able to fly direct from Cincinnati, now I have to go through Chicago or a NY airport. I've even considered going through Toronto, at times.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
How about Pearson International Airport? (Toronto, Canada)
One of our neighbors is an operations manager who coordinates all commercial, passenger and military operations at the airport. He loves Shepherds, if I asked him really nicely, he would probably hand deliver your guys from the plane right to you :)
Toronto is about 350km from where you're going :)

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have just received an email from gradlyn.

I can't ship them all together to Syracuse. If I want to ship them together I have to either pick between NEWARK or JFK or I had to ship them one after another.

What do you all think? Shipping them together and make a long trip to NEWARK or shipping them one after another and pick them up from Syracuse.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Ugh, how annoying. Well, I say ship to Syracuse if you can get flights close to each other.

It's probably 6 of 1, half dozen of another...being winter, there is always the chance of something happening with the flights....driving down to Newark then having a cancelled flight or huge delay...if you fly them into Syracuse, one could be delayed and the other not.

Syracuse seldom has winter related delays, however...one thing I have to say about that little airport is they know how to work a snowstorm. Of course if Newark is delayed on their layover from snow I guess that won't help you any....but NYC always gets less snow than Syr.

I could always watch them in the event of a timing delay if they come into Syracuse. I just can't guarantee you'd get them back. Hehehe (kidding of course :) )

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you so much for the offer. I hope all is going to work out just fine. I wished I could take them with me right away so we'd all get there together but it's probably better to leave them behind and ship them once we've found something. Looking for a place to live and caring about the dogs would be too stressful, probably.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.