German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
10-month old Onyx (we're thinking of changing the name) is another victim of homelessness. His owner lost his home and could no longer afford to care for the dog. Onyx is reportedly crate trained, and he does walk well on leash.

Since the dog just came into the shelter this afternoon, it's hard to assess his personality at this point. So far, he's been extremely frightful and skittish. He is initially defensive and growling, but he nicely accepts human leadership.

Sorry no pictures yet. I will post them tomorrow, as well as an update.

Please contact the SPCA directly at: 302.998.2281
http://www.delspca.org

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are pictures of Onyx...

He is actually here at my house for the weekend. Kind of a long story, but the short of it is that we thought he might have a severe heart condition. The SPCA vet reported that Onyx had a grade IV/VI heart murmur and fluid in his lungs, so we scrambled to get him in to see a cardiologist as soon as we could. As it turned out, the cardiologist said Onyx is fine; he just exhibits accelerated blood flow velocity across the aortic valve, possibly causing the ausculted murmur. All in all, according to the cardiologist, "the cardiac prognosis is considered excellent at this time." (Medical reports are available to prospective adopters.)

The presumed crisis ironically saved Onyx from a neutering and a weekend at the shelter. He's been here at my house since yesterday evening and is doing great. He gets along super well with my four dogs and is appropriately submissive for a dog his age. He is crated trained, stays close by in the yard, comes when called, and waits to go outside to eliminate. (He is still mastering stairs.) He has a very sweet temperament and hasn't shown any signs of aggression in any form. He's just a youngster looking for guidance on how to behave. When he understands what's expected of him, he complies happily.

He will be neutered on Tuesday (June 3) and available for adoption after that. I'd adopt him myself, but I'm just too full right now.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Great pictures....SUPER video. He obviously has no growling/defensive behavior!!!

I'll make sure GSR-SP knows he's there!!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I see geography isn't my strong point.....

I get Delaware County mixed up with "Delaware".....DUH....

I emailed everyone at GSR-SP that he's there....

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
One of our very active volunteers is interested in this guy. Would need to know how he is with cats and small dogs. I will refer her to the shelter which it looks like isn't open till Monday.

4DogArt.....can you PM me.....this person probably lives near you.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ADOPTED! Onyx is now Oscar and is, in fact, in a wonderful new home tonight. I'm actually a little sad as I miss him, but he got adopted by great people. The adopters are also volunteers with the SPCA.

Thank you, everyone, for your interest in this awesome dog!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts