German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my gf received a call from the shelter where she adopted her dog. They told her that her dog needed to be neutered by one year of age, and that NYS required this. If not done, her dog would be seized. What a joke. What happened to being a responsible dog owner and doing what you feel is best? Or at least waiting until it's fully grown.
Anyone else heard of this?

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
No dog or cat is permitted to leave any shelter in my area prior to being speutered.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Heard of it. Mandatory spay/neuter laws are very popular among the anti-breeder movement. Very much supported by the HSUS and PETA. I think it was the HSUS CEO that said "One generation and out" as far as domestic animals go. Extinction is their goal.

But one has to wonder what a shelter in a mandatory spay/neuter area was doing when it allowed an dog to leave the shelter without being neutered.

·
Banned
7,657 Posts
Fairly "liberal" policies by most shelter standards, I will say. But the law is the law ... most likely either complying or moving are the only viable options??

·
Registered
91 Posts
Unless your dog is a working line or show line type dog with a purpose to be bred responsibly, he or she should be neutered/spayed. Their are plenty of available pets already out there being put down everyday. No need to breed more mixes and mutts for "cute puppies"

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I have never heard of a dog leaving a shelter unspayed or unneutered in New York! In case you didn't notice when you visited the shelter, they are chock full of unwanted dogs. This law exists in order to prevent more unwanted dogs being produced. This has nothing to do with "anti-breeder" forces. If I had a dollar for every person who has come on this forum to ask for help with an "Oops" litter, I have enough money to go to the shelter and adopt more dogs.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
This is society's fault and the law is in place because there are way more irresponsible owners out there then most people would like to admit. I don't know of a shelter or rescue that releases a dog without being fixed. Not that long ago if they were under 6 months then it was in the contract they must be back by 6 months to be fixed, that changed along the way probably because people didn't do it and instead the shelters were taking back the same dogs with a liter of puppies. Now they are fixed at 8-12 weeks to solve that issue. Just look at the shelters and how overcrowded they are, imagine how many more there would be of these dogs weren't fixed? People found a way around it and the only ones that suffer are the thousands of pups put to sleep daily.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not to get political, but I do disagree with mandatory laws saying what you can and cannot do. If that's the case, all dogs adopted should have mandatory training, owner education, and mandatory vet visits.
Specifically, her dog was 8 weeks old at adoption. He has no behavioral issues and he is fenced.
Make breeders licensed. It would cut down on a lot of issues. Fine bybs, and unlicensed breeders.
I personally feel the health benefits are huge to keeping intact.
Obviously she's going to follow the law, but it's sad that it's required by law.
At least let the dog develop fully.
And a dog does not need to be bred if it's intact.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Not to get political, but I do disagree with mandatory laws saying what you can and cannot do. If that's the case, all dogs adopted should have mandatory training, owner education, and mandatory vet visits.
Specifically, her dog was 8 weeks old at adoption. He has no behavioral issues and he is fenced.
Make breeders licensed. It would cut down on a lot of issues. Fine bybs, and unlicensed breeders.
I personally feel the health benefits are huge to keeping intact.
Obviously she's going to follow the law, but it's sad that it's required by law.
At least let the dog develop fully.
And a dog does not need to be bred if it's intact.
Some shelters here are making training mandatory for some breeds, in fact they are even throwing it in for free trying to give the dog the best possible start. They are trying to stop the byb breeders by making it that dogs are fixed before they go home. They are fighting a losing battle.

Shelters do not have the money to supply all the things you think they should. They don't havecthe funding, the staff or the support to do so. Here you can adopt a dog for $100 and that includes shots, microchip and spay/neuter, what more are they suppose to do? They are overwhelmed and broke taking in what people are tossing out. Shelters here are begging for fosters and rescues because they are at capacity. Sadly a lot of dogs taking up space by no fault of their own are court/cruelty cases. They have to be held as evidence, leaving no room for all the others. It's a mess and it keeps getting worse.

·
Registered
31,483 Posts
Joke or not, if you adopted from a shelter then you were made aware of this at that point. It's rare they even allow dogs out the door before they are spayed or neutered. PA has the same laws and our local shelter will enforce it. They do it to stop more animals being born that they'll have to euthanize when they don't have space. They do it to protect the animals.

Sorry. Those are the facts. I'm not going to sugar coat this. I've pulled animals from shelters and I know how having to euthanize animals for space effects these people. So just spay and neuter per the law and shelter rules or go buy from a breeder.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not against giving a dog a good start or attempts to control overpopulation. This shelter pulls dogs from down south, not locally. I've got nothing against shelters, and fully understand the hardships they encounter.
Its more about the state law.
In my opinion, they are going about things the wrong way. It doesn't stop dogs being dumped. It doesn't stop bybs of any breed.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I'm not against giving a dog a good start or attempts to control overpopulation. This shelter pulls dogs from down south, not locally. I've got nothing against shelters, and fully understand the hardships they encounter.
In my opinion, they are going about things the wrong way. It doesn't stop dogs being dumped. It doesn't stop bybs of any breed.
Most shelters are funded by the government. States don't have enough money to fund getting more police officers, schools, social security, etc. there is nothing they can do that won't cost more money. This comes down to the people. The people make the choices to breed pets knowing how many are in shelters, puppy mill breeders make a choice and then treat the dogs like garbage, people make the choice to dump their dog in the shelters the minute something goes wrong, the people expect a dog to be trained and don't get that they have to do the training and the list can go on and on. It's the people. People know it's wrong but don't want to say anything, in fact they will say I know it's wrong but it's not any of my business then ooh and ahh over the cute puppies, you know the litter of 10 that just took homes away from 20 that were already here and got to witness how cruel and selfish people are.

·
Registered
244 Posts
There is a growing body of solid research that delaying (or even entirely deferring) spaying or neutering German shepherds (specifically) can come with considerable health and psychological benefits: New Research on Early Neutered German Shepherds and Joint Disorders | Some Thoughts About Dogs.

I understand the arguments on both sides of the issue; it's a tricky one to legislate and enforce, particularly with such a wide range of dog owners (responsible to wildly irresponsible).

·
Banned
192 Posts
I think that you have to spay/neuter ONLY if you adopt from a shelter. You dont have to if you get your dog by some other means. I can see why shelters require this, they dont want to adopt out a dog only to have that same do bring back 6 more pups that need homes. I am against early spay/neuter.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
We live in NY and I can understand why the rescues and shelters are doing this. We had had dogs from rescue shelters and never questioned its what you agree on when you get a dog from a rescue. I remember growing up I think so many people let their dogs loose dogs were mating in the streets male dogs camped in front of many houses for days. I remember wanting to bring home a few. It is why I have no trouble why the rescues and animal shelters require spaying and neutering. Breeders and even vets are not pushing for neutering much anymore which I have seen through out the years.

I had spoken to our breeder and she told us that when you get a dog license and your dog is not neutered/or spayed there is a extra fee involved which is suppose to go towards veterinarian clinics/hospitals for people who need monitory assistance in spaying and neutering there dog. I think a good idea. This is not the case though and the state is taking that money and using the money somewhere else but not for pets. This is the state of New Jersey she was referring about not sure about the other states.

I also heard that the state of New Jersey is trying to pass a law that before a person goes out to buy a dog from a breeder they must get a dog through a dog rescue before they buy one from a breeder. This law has not been passed but I heard they are trying to push it through. Has anyone heArd of this??? I understand wanting to rescue dogs but they should not push it upon people and make it seem getting a dog from a breeder is a selfish thing which I resent . there are other ways to help rescues out. we donate all the time to rescues that are Legit true rescues.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I know that more and more cities are putting ordinances in place that pet stores can not sell dogs from commercial breeders(puppy mills), all dogs must come from rescues/shelters.

And it looks like it's ber fought tooth and nail...

"The Puppy Mill Project assisted in drafting the city of Chicago’s retail pet sale ordinance, under which Chicago pet stores are no longer allowed to sell dogs, cats, or rabbits unless they are sourced from a shelter or rescue (this ordinance is currently being challenged in federal court). We also assisted with the Cook County Companion Animal and Consumer Protection Ordinance"

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
I certainly don't disagree with the health benefits of keeping a pet intact.

I remember when it wasn't mandatory for shelters and rescues to speuter their cats and dogs in my area and there were two huge kill facilities and one no kill which had a waiting list of over six months to intake animals and many pets languished in there for years.

Since the laws requiring mandatory speutering and the advent of pediatric speutering, I have seen both of the large no kill facilities go from extremely high kill to being no kill. No, they did not change their open door policies or kill policies, there just was such a great reduction in animals being brought to the shelters. There are NO puppies to be had in any shelter.

Given that the choices where I live are pediatric speuters / mandatory speutering vs euthanasia, I have to opt for mandatory speutering. If animals could talk, I think they would opt for the gift of life as well.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
I know tons people of who live a few towns of away actually shut down a puppy pet store who sold puppies from a puppy mill. The puppy store who got puppies from a puppy mill (as no breeder would allow their pups sold in a pet store)was ran out of town by the towns people. It was a beautiful victory for that town and many should follow. That puppy pets store did not reopen anywhere else. The New Jersey state law that they are trying to get passed is prohibiting people to get pets from actual breeders not puppy mill slugs until they first require a dog from a rescue.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts