German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.. Ive been feeding my 10 month old GSD Victor Nutra Pro since he was 8 weeks and hes been great. About 2 weeks ago we received a new bag with beef meal and blood meal swapped in the ingredient line. I know this shouldnt be a big deal but hes had diarrhea since that day. I called Victor and they said it cant be from the ingredient swap but I was just wondering if anyone else had this issue..

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
It's easy and logical to blame the food, but with diarrhea that lasts more than a day or two I'd go to the vet. Something else of a different cause could have coincidentally started up same day you started a new food. Did you get a stool run on him at the vet? 2 weeks is a bit long to have the runs. I mean there is a good chance it is something changed about the food formula that does not agree with him, but it could also be other stuff. I'd explore that thoroughly. Hope he is better soon!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea I had him on rice and chicken for a few days and just started the kibble up again. If its starts back up were going to the vet. I give him the same treats he got as a pup and no human food at all so it was just weird how it started that same day, obviously he could have got to something in the yard or on a walk but I figured id ask to see if this was an issue anyone else was having.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Did you ease him over or just make the switch all at once? I eased over and had no trouble but the Hi Energy formula has Blood Meal lower down in the ingredient list than the Nutra Pro.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didnt know it was the new formula of Nutra Pro, chewy just sent it when I was done with the last bag so there was no way to ease him over to it.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Sigh. After several months on this I am rethinking. The stools are good but I have never had coat blow like I am having this year. I am ordering one more bag of high energy, waiting for my blood panels then shopping. I have been shopping and it is a minefiled.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Mine used to be on Nutra Pro before the formula change. (He had his share of bouts of diarrhea.) Now, he's on his 4th bag of Victor Professional. Knock on wood, his poop's been fine. He's been shedding a lot the last couple weeks. But I attribute that to the change in temperatures. It's gotten really hot around the same time. It's been in the 90s. Looks like it's going to be a hot summer. Try adding a heaping teaspoon of canned 100% pure pumpkin puree. (make sure it's 100% pumpkin and doesn't have any other ingredients in it.) It should firm up the poop. I use it every time I switch foods, when he has diarrhea, or when his poop looks like he needs a little fiber. I also give him a heaping teaspoon of plain non fat yogurt to keep his system in balance. Both work like a charm. It doesn't happen right away. Give it a day for the bad poop to be out. If that doesn't help, then I would seek vet help or a change in food. By the way, have you thought for whatever the reason maybe that one bag wasn't good? Or at 10 months old, maybe consider switching to adult food now? Anyway good luck.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Honestly I am not finding anything else I would prefer to feed. Blood meal is item 9 in the high energy and alfalfa is #7. I wish I could get victor to say how much by weight is in this formula. The blood panels will tell me what I need to know. I agree with you about the blow out. Same thing here with the temps though I have had more shedding than normal.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
@NancyJ, do you mind sharing what values are you looking for specifically in the blood panels? Changes based on previous years, or are there specific components of the bloodwork that you're tracking responsive to food?

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Basically I am looking for values to be in normal ranges and for us to have decent stools, coat, energy and check ups

I do know that dogs fed high protein diets will spill more protein in their urine and have higher numbers there but there is a lot of info out there that dogs working in the heat do better on a lower protein than a higher protein diet.

Beau also tends to do better with Beef or fish as a primary protein over chicken but I am skeptic about too much fish and rancidity. He runs hot on lamb and venison.

·
Registered
31,118 Posts
Sigh. After several months on this I am rethinking. The stools are good but I have never had coat blow like I am having this year. I am ordering one more bag of high energy, waiting for my blood panels then shopping. I have been shopping and it is a minefiled.
Well I don't feed my shepherds Victor. I feed them raw. No diet changes and my male is blowing coat like a madman. Our weather has been crazy up here. Extended winter, cold wet spring, now 80s overnight with high humidity.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So all Blitz's tests came back negative and my vet, who was sceptical of Victor at first because hes never heard of it but then did his own research, told me to keep him on the same food.. A couple days later his poops were back to being dark and solid and have stayed like that ever since. So as of now im sticking with them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts