German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sash is very food orientated anyway (takes after me i guess:p) but just wondered if i should feed her before class in the evening, or when we finish. my thinking is, if she's hungry, and i have food, she'll be more focussed on earning some.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I always suggest not feeding before a class.

Besides, that way you'll know how much of her regular meal to feed after class. If you used a lot of treats, cut back on regular food accordingly.

Have fun in class Wednesday!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cheers guys.

we're taking part in the KC Bronze award, little award scheme thats run in the UK by the KC. bronze for basic, silver for intermediate and gold for advanced (duh :p) training.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Good luck, keep us up with how the classes go, they sound like fun.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I always feed after training. Diesel is not very food motivated so I need him to be hungry!

We have just done our KC Bronze award and are now training for silver. It all looks pretty simple as it is just day to day things that we do anyway the only problem I have is that on the Silver award the examiner has to check the dogs teeth, ears, feet etc and Diesel isn't keen. He is great at the vets but not at training. But we will work on it!

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
Normally I feed after classes, BUT I have found with Raya that I can't do that. She is very unsettled, gets very snappy when taking treats and has no focus, so I feed her half of her normal food. I was just throwing that out there, but I wouldn't judge the pup after only one class if you should feed before or after. Just wanted to let people know there are pups outside the normal.

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Depends on the individual dog. Some dogs need hunger to make them sufficiently motivated to work for food, especially amongst distractions, so skipping a meal before training helps. Other dogs can't concentrate if they're real hungry, and need to eat before training. You need to experiment and find out what works best for your dog.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cheers chris never thought about the concentration thing, she ignores me when other dogs are around most of the time anyway

and.. we went to my moms yesterday, and her dog kept trying to mount her (well 3 times before we took her home) could she be coming into season at 9 months? how will this affect training, theres definatly males in class

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
You should notify your instructor/class to determine their policy. Considering this a brand new class, not sure I would risk taking a bitch in season to the first classes.

Kayla came into her first heat at nine months, one week. My instructor at that time allowed bitches in season in class for the first week or so, but asked that they remain home for the last third of their season. My current club does not allow them in class until their season is completed.

I'd hate the thought of missing the first two-three weeks of a new class. Assuming the instructors prefer that dog in seasons do not come to the class, could you attend without the dog and apply the training at home?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah me and sash train daily anyway, so could easily bring it hom with me. i'll give them a ring tomorrow.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I like to feed a little bit before class. We drive 45 mins each way for training and I know *I* don't like car rides on a totally empty stomach (Kenya is only fed once a day). Also, I think my dogs are a little too grabby with treats if they are really hungry. If I have time when I get home from work, I like to give them a cup of food.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok, i called them earlier, they said, if she hasnt come into season yet, bring her tomorrow, but i might have to leave her behind week 2 and 3

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just got back, thrilled to bits, 3 other GSD's in class, one they use to instruct, one 6monnth(ish) male, and one 10 month male who i met last time called Carlo, he is huge, without over estimating too much i'd say he was around 30"!

was sitting down, all the other dogs were barking and pulling on there leads, sasha just lay there good as gold, everyone kept coming over saying how well behaved she was compared to everyone elses, and how cute her floppy ears are. anyway, did alot of basic stuff that we could take away as home work. the instructor used Sasha as his demonstration dog, and she was superb, did the best focus of her life (which she never does for me :p) and did everything the chap told her too first time, everyone was really impressed, bought her a half check collar and a new lead too. cant wait till next week.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Glad you had fun and Sasha did well

Um... a "half check collar"? Do you mean a choke chain? Gosh... didn't think anyone still used those in training classes!

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
I think the Half Check is a Martingale.

Glad class went well. She might have been a little stressed out and her way of dealing with Stress is just to be calm, LOL some dogs deal with stress by being loud. A little Stress isn't a bad thing, I believe you need to have some stress in a dog's life or they dont' grow mentally. So what I am saying is don't be surprised if in a week or so, she decides to be a bit different, it's ok it is part of the growing up process.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally Posted By: Achielles CDXGlad you had fun and Sasha did well

Um... a "half check collar"? Do you mean a choke chain? Gosh... didn't think anyone still used those in training classes!
don't know what you US folks call them.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
aaah Ok

I was wondering there! lol

Sasha sounds like a great puppy! I am glad you had so much fun. It is always exhilerating (sp?) when your dog is one of the best in class! Keep us posted!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts