German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a Male German shepherd /pitt mix named Hunter !! And so far so good he just a little over four months! He knows how to sit and stays and he's starting to get over all his nipping ordeals and hardly ever has accidents. But as of lately maybe the past week or so he has been constantly peeing in the crate when ever we leave. I know that he can hold it in because he has in the past and when I take him out he goes where he has to go. He does not poop in his crate though just urinates. The only thing I can think of is maybe because we Are in a new apartment and he is having anxiety when we leave of work ? Or maybe the dogs upstairs ? The new couch? However I come home for lunch and feed him and play with him and let him out. There is no pee when i come home for lunch, However when I leave and come home a few hours later there is pee in his crate!!! this whole week! We even left for 5 minutes and came back and there was pee on the new sheet we had just put down!!

I know this a lot to read but please help !!! Idk what to do ??

Thanks!!!!

Ps. I've had a German Shepherd before never had this issue!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Before you put him in his crate after lunch are you making sure he pee's? If he is just out playing and not going to the bathroom maybe you can eliminate play time at lunch for a while and make it a pee / potty break? I have only had a dog once that had accidents in their crate and it was just that an accident (runs or not feeling well) Does he have too much room in his crate? If he has too much room where he can eliminate in one spot and lay down in another use the divider and make the crate smaller to where he cannot do anything but get up turn around and lay down. They *typically* will not eliminate (unless its an emergency) where they have to sleep. Also have you had him to the vet to make sure there are no other underlying issues? Finally how much water is he drinking on your little lunch break?

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Before you put him in his crate after lunch are you making sure he pee's? If he is just out playing and not going to the bathroom maybe you can eliminate play time at lunch for a while and make it a pee / potty break? I have only had a dog once that had accidents in their crate and it was just that an accident (runs or not feeling well) Does he have too much room in his crate? If he has too much room where he can eliminate in one spot and lay down in another use the divider and make the crate smaller to where he cannot do anything but get up turn around and lay down. They *typically* will not eliminate (unless its an emergency) where they have to sleep. Also have you had him to the vet to make sure there are no other underlying issues? Finally how much water is he drinking on your little lunch break?
These are all really good points. I would watch to make sure he pees at lunch time instead of playing the whole time then reward him with play. I taught mine "find a spot" command to get her go and when she did then big party time. Now she can "find a spot" in a couple minutes then we play. Also, if possible maybe limit the amount of water the pup drinks at lunch time - don't eliminate it completely though.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I always make sure he pees before I leave and I watch how much water he drinks.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
What about crate size? If his crate is too large that can and will cause some troubles, many years ago I had a husky / lab mix, I was inexperienced and I got him a crate that was intended for his full grown size, I "felt" bad making it small let him have the whole thing. Potty training was a night mare. It could be a change in the surroundings / routine but I would say make the crate smaller and the issue should go away if he is locked up for less than 4 hours at a time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah the crate is big , we had it smaller when he was smaller but now he has the whole thing maybe I can try and make it slightly smaller just for his exact size , thanks you guys for all your help!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts