German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. So we've recently (as in Yesterday) begun working with a trainer for IPO/KNPV. I am completely and Utterly new to this sport. I felt like our trainer is training me just about as much as she is training my dog!!
Anyways, so I feel a little less like a fumbling idiot, anyone care to share with me what it was like when your first started this sport, and what I should expect?
Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

·
Registered
199 Posts
I am so looking forward to this thread (ya'll come up with some good stuff, ok?). I have never done competitive doggy anything, but I have my first session with an IPO trainer once Genali finishes her shots. I am nervous and excited! I've trained my dogs to be well behaved dogs for my whole life, but I want to take it to the next step, so right now I am focusing on building a bond with Genali.

Your guy (gal?) is handsome!

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I'm new too, the only advice I am qualified to give is have fun. Don't get frustrated, everyone watching you was new at someone point too. Oh and dogs have a knack of doing something perfectly at home, making you publicly brag about it, then acting like a jerk when you actually have to do it in front of your club mates lol

·
Registered
165 Posts
For the new folks, I can say this if the trainer tells you to do something, perfection is expected. If the decoy/helper tells you to stand still it means you become an anchor not even an M1 Abrams tank could move. If he/she tells you to praise the dog, praise as instructed. Failure can get someone severely injured. Being in ER with dog related injuries is not fun.

Otherwise relax and enjoy the good company.

Yes there will be more than a few times where “ my dog has never done that”. It happens to the best at the worst times. LOL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts