German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My Shepard mix Muzzy is 14 years old. I got him from pet finders when he was 12 weeks. He has been the best dog ever. Mild temper, gets along with other dogs and great with people. He had been through a lot in his life so far but I've been here to help him though it all as he is always there for me. He had hip dysplasia in both hips, so we had to do an FHO on his one hip in 2010, he had glaucoma in 2013 and we had to get his one eye removed, the Dr found a small lump starting on his ear so he has 3/4 of an ear, but he is what my boyfriend calls the wolverine dog and has out lived 4 dogs and keeps on going.

So he has been currently having issues pooping. He goes out several times a day and strains but very little comes out. I have taken him to the vet on Friday and he was diagnosed with perianal fistula. We are starting him on medication Monday since it had to be ordered. I clean him after he comes in from outside and I'm currently putting on a topical cream but I am worried because I don't know what to expect. How can I tell how much pain he is in? I go out with him and haven't heard him cry when trying to poop and since he is an older dog he does have arthritis, and is not as limber as he was, to lick at his butt (which I think is a good thing since it might make it worse if he did). Other than this current issue he is a happy senior dog with the normal elements of aging.

Any links, comments, or advice for someone just learning about this I would greatly appreciate. I want to make him better any way I can.

Thanks for your help.
Lisa

·
Registered
16,070 Posts
Welcome. It sounds like Muzzy hit the jackpot with his choice of home. Good job all around.

There's a website on fistulas --- I think it is a yahoo group. They have a lot of information. As I understand it, there's a lot that can be done now that wasn't around 20 years ago. My 9 yo's litter mate developed fistulas about 6 years ago. They were managed and she was an active happy dog. Muzzy is fortunate (I think) that these only developed in old age. But they can be managed. Good luck and keep us posted.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts